"Please help me get my brother home": A family's desperate plea after 44-year-old dies suddenly days after arriving in Thailand for winter holiday

Jonathan Fairfield

11 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I'm talking about his holiday money!!!!! That which he apparently didn't bring with him! I was responding to a post about how much money he brought with him.

Read what you said again please. Man is dead. Bank account frozen. You said that bill could be covered by a few ATM withdrawals. 

1 minute ago, Lemonltr said:

Read what you said again please. Man is dead. Bank account frozen. You said that bill could be covered by a few ATM withdrawals. 

Those would be illegal transactions if even the pin was known.

Death can be very inconvenient.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

From the OP

Katie received a call from Daniel on Sunday to say he'd suffered a heart attack and was in hospital. Hours later, the police arrived to tell her he'd passed away.

Thanks @sandyf I definitely missed that when I read the OP and the link.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In this situation there are many suggestions for the deceased to be cremated in Thailand and his ashes be repatriated to his family.

As heartbreaking and as tough as this situation is, cremation is a very valid solution to an otherwise potentially expensive solution of repatriating a body. 

And for those considering travelling - get insurance, it's quite simple. 

The guys dead R.I.P

i dont think you deserve all this arguing

IMHO

I would be surprised if the insurance he has (he must have had it) wants to pay for repatriation of a dead body

The family cannot get at his cash obviously he dead banks dont like this

Hence the family options are very limited 

57 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

When the time comes to depart this life, how many expats want either A) Their bodies flown to their home country. B) Their body cremated down the local Wat?

Definitely B for me. However, I understand that the best use for a human corpse is to manufacture fertilizer pellets. Could easily be done as it is with animals. Unfortunately, there are ethical reasons (at least there were in the UK) against. That would be my preferred method of disposal.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Tragic.

My take on this is that governments should stop pussy footing around and make it mandatory for those travelling to their countries to have some kind of travel insurance.

There is nothing negative about it and it lessons the burden on their families and others financially when things go terribly wrong.

Besides, it's cheap and I have to say that I am seriously sick to the core of hearing people getting injured and or unfortunately dying without some kind of travel insurance cover at the least.

They make people get PCR tests + + + for Covid which adds up excluding hotel stays, why not travel insurance with repatriation included as part of the policy, simple really if you ask me.

RIP, taken too early, but goes to show, we never know when our numbers are up and we all should cover ourselves so that our loved ones don't have to suffer financially.

I might sound harsh for a Sunday morning, but it is what it is and now his family can't even afford to pay his bills and get him home without others contributing, that said if he had travel insurance for a little amount of money, financial burden sorted.

Here here. I've been banging on about this, it should be compulsory and part of your airline ticket cost.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

There is no mention of insurance in the above linked article. I've been trying to think of reasons the insurance wouldn't payout. Using a motorcycle for example, which are often on the list of specifically excluded activities. As that's clearly not the case here, 'free spirited' personality, 'life and soul of the party' suggests that perhaps the insurance company (assuming he had insurance) got hold of the toxicology report from the hospital.

Don't get me wrong, I had my wild days, and I came to Thailand while still young enough to enjoy that, I know what they involve. At 44 though, you're pushing your luck.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Many years ago before living here when i came on holiday ,i had a pre existing condition but i always got insurance even though it was 160 pounds for 3 weeks 20 yrs ago. It covered my pre existing condition, otherwise it would have been really quite cheap.

I'm totally for full insurance and in my opinion everyone should have! 

To little information in the article  to discuss what really happened. But I read someone was in trouble with one of the approved required Thai insurance company that covered Covid and sold as a travel insurance. Can't find the source now.

Edited by Hummin