"Please help me get my brother home": A family's desperate plea after 44-year-old dies suddenly days after arriving in Thailand for winter holiday

Jonathan Fairfield

You won't be reading any story like this when I fall off the perch, my relatives back in Australia couldn't give a rat's what happens to my worthless carcass. Tirak will arrange my cremation at the local temple, and that will be that. ????

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

State pension isn't sponging if you've contributed, in UK paid NI, but if you are always getting benefits and tax credits due to poor life choices then you are a sponger and it's dragging countries down like Benefit Britain

Better read what i said, i said that unemployment benefits like state pension are not sponging. You also pay for your unemployment benefits. In my country they are limited by how long you have worked ect.

So i never said that state pension was sponging.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I would bet the hospital would.... might not even get in there.

Anyhow, too late now.

I believe Thailand is the same as the UK if you are taken into A&E with a life threatening  condition they will treat you.

4 minutes ago, Almer said:

I don’t think they would stand there and watch you snuff it

People certainly die in there.... those without the money or insurance often get sent elsewhere. Usually a deposit is needed... that was my experience but for non-critical.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

I would agree that travel insurance be mandatory for visiting Thailand. There are so many dangers here including the bad food, traffic and STD's. If you cannot afford healthcare including the ability to pay for your death, you should not come here.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 8:53 AM, Almer said:

If you are in ICU I doubt anybody is pressing him for funds, the family don’t want to pick the tab up by the sounds of it

Ive been in a position where ICU was needed.

They held me in A&E until proof of payment coverage was provided.

On 12/13/2021 at 5:35 PM, kimamey said:

Well if you're going to take that attitude then I won't bother coming. ????

On a serious note I've said it's up to my wife what she does assuming she outlives me of course. It will also depend on where I am at the time. I'm not sure how easy it would be to pile up some logs, bung me on top and set fire to it if I'm in the UK? How multicultural is the UK? To be honest if I'm dead then I won't have much say. If I'm in Thailand and my son and daughter or my sister want to come that's up to them and I know that's what my wife would want. I'm sure they could afford it if they wanted and my son could probably pay for all of them if he wanted. If I'm in the UK and my wife isn't there's enough money for her to travel over. If she wants of course. Which I'm sure she would. Wouldn't she??

I was born in the UK and emigrated to Australia at a relatively early age I recall my late father telling me don’t waste time and money coming to funerals as there is nothing you can do and we will not know you are there.

I followed that advice and visited them when they were alive and have applied it to friends.

Re myself I know that my wife will ignore my request as it’s a cultural issue linked to saving face etc.

It doesn’t really matter as by then it it will be her money she is wasting

• Like 2

On 12/14/2021 at 7:10 PM, Screaming said:

I would agree that travel insurance be mandatory for visiting Thailand. There are so many dangers here including the bad food, traffic and STD's. If you cannot afford healthcare including the ability to pay for your death, you should not come here.

Obtaining travel insurance doesn’t seem to be such a problem as they tend to exempt from the coverage existing conditions and usually it’s only for a relatively short period of time.

The problem appears to be obtaining hospital/ medical cover if you are over 65 years of age and living here long term.

As this travel pass requires you to have coverage of

$US 55,000.00 for the period that you are stamped in, which could be up to a year if on a retirement extension, it would appear that many long term expats are in fact prevented from leaving the country if they cannot obtain the insurance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I was born in the UK and emigrated to Australia at a relatively early age I recall my late father telling me don’t waste time and money coming to funerals as there is nothing you can do and we will not know you are there.

I followed that advice and visited them when they were alive and have applied it to friends.

Re myself I know that my wife will ignore my request as it’s a cultural issue linked to saving face etc.

It doesn’t really matter as by then it it will be her money she is wasting

I suppose the thing is funerals aren't for the person who's died. They just need disposing of. Their main purpose is for those mourning (or celebrating) to get together. In my family it's often the only time we meet.