"Please help me get my brother home": A family's desperate plea after 44-year-old dies suddenly days after arriving in Thailand for winter holiday

Jonathan Fairfield

15 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

There is no mention of insurance in the above linked article. I've been trying to think of reasons the insurance wouldn't payout. Using a motorcycle for example, which are often on the list of specifically excluded activities. As that's clearly not the case here, 'free spirited' personality, 'life and soul of the party' suggests that perhaps the insurance company (assuming he had insurance) got hold of the toxicology report from the hospital.

Don't get me wrong, I had my wild days, and I came to Thailand while still young enough to enjoy that, I know what they involve. At 44 though, you're pushing your luck.

Good thinking thanks. We need more information. If he was appropriately insured and the company have 'done the dirty' then the details may help fight his (relatives) case and ultimately assist others in the future? 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

I thought this was the reason for the $50,000 insurance...?

The US$50,000 insurance requirement is a ‘Health insurance’ and is an requirement for the purposes of covering hospital treatment (for accidents and illnesses including Covid-19). 

Unless and add on is purchased and / or the policy specifically states such, medical evacuation and repatriation of mortal remains is not usually covered.

It is travel insurance which would ‘usually' cover repatriation of mortal remains and medial illness.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Reading between the lines here but I don't reckon the deceased in the one begging for money.

True, but its the same isnt it.. besides im sure there will be assets later on once the process is settled. They could pay the cost from that (if there are no assets then i understand)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

If he was appropriately insured and the company have 'done the dirty'

I wouldn't say the insurers 'did the dirty' in the hypothetical scenario I describe. If a traveller gets insurance and then the insured goes juggling loaded and cocked revolvers, I see it as entirely reasonable the insurer considers their shareholders instead.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

True, but its the same isnt it.. besides im sure there will be assets later on once the process is settled. They could pay the cost from that (if there are no assets then i understand)

Can the family legally take ownership and liquidate assets immediately after death ?

am sure there is a mountain of paperwork to sort before that can happen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Then what is the point of mandating insurance?

Travel and health insurances do cover pre-existing conditions, although this does vary from company to company, that said, most will cover your pre-existing conditions if there has been no reoccurrence in the past years, just a matter of shopping around.

• Like 1

I like travel also, but if I die when traveling, just burn me and toss the ashes anywhere you want. 

Most of these countries will burn you pretty cheap. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chuang said:

It's sad to say the least that family and friends could not even collect £5000 and have to resort to public donations..

'Could not' or 'would not'?

The OP says he came with friends? Presumably they have all chipped in themselves.

51 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

As much as an air fare, hotel bill, spending money? No insurance, no travel. 

You may be unable to manage your financial affairs without government intervention but some of us grown-up adults are fully capable of managing our own finances. ????

Edited by Chris.B

49 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The US$50,000 insurance requirement is a ‘Health insurance’ and is an requirement for the purposes of covering hospital treatment (for accidents and illnesses including Covid-19). 

Garbage, you can use a travel insurance policy, I did.

• Like 2