What do you think is a fair beer price in a bar?

FruitPudding

In your opinion, what beer price is fair in a bar or pub here?  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

No, you don't. What are you talking about? You just made that up.

Made what up? Beers in Go Go bars are 3 times more than a fan beer bar. If you don't know that you have no right to comment on this subject because you have never been here or experienced a wide range of drinking venues

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

I honestly believe, most just push it as far as they can because it's totally unregulated.

I mean if they tried to serve a pint for 36 pounds in London, I think something would be done about that.

But the tourist market in Thailand is just a free-for-all.

That works both ways so beer is sold v cheap..Ibar WS 39 baht bottled beer. Go Go WS 160 baht bottle. It's a free market It's our choice. Most bars we go to are foreign owned. If drinkers are aggrieved cheap Charlie's they should not come here but stay at home with mum.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sometimes I pay 150B for a bottle of water. It depends on where and the company. 

Think about back home. A beer in a local pub might be cheap. But go to a bar with some pretty girls and even the high Thai prices are suddenly very good.

Am still waiting for the pretty girls to come back to the bars here,  1-16-22 it could happen. 555 

Yes back home you definitely cannot sit facing a street with lovely "working" girls walking by all evening ????

2 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

I know it can be cheaper up in Isaan

It is, I pay 70 baht for a Tiger Light at the local pre Covid shutdown, still waiting for it to reopen.

In Phuket it could cost me 120 baht at say one of the many bars in the Tiger establishment, however I know an owner there and he told me that he pays an incredible amount of tea money and rent, if not mistaken it was like 1 million baht per month, and sure the turnover is a lot, but they have to load the price on the beers + + + to survive.

Tiger Light costs 40 baht if you buy a box so it's 3 x's at a bar to try and make a profit, I think the profits are better on spirits and then you have the 50/50 split on the 1,000 if not 1,500 bar girl fine for those idiots who pay it ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

Fair point.

And then they multiply it a few times over if they can get away with it.

Like I said.

I think it's just local mentality with those involved in tourist areas. Like the taxi drivers who won't turn their meters on and try to negotiate double or triple the price. Scammers at heart.

What you moan about could be mistaken as A silly racist, immature generalization from a disgruntled inexperienced person who should return home..Try to live within your means and have more empathy with poor thais and bar owners who have just lost 8 months income.

• Like 1

The going rates for a normal bar (meaning no KTV or gogo) should be around 110-140 baht for a mix drink, beers therefor should be starting from 80 baht. In higher end places this can easily be 50-100% more but you pay for the decency, quality and special atmosphere.

Many places now I noticed introduced quite a nice pricing model similar to Pattaya, for example in the soi 7 of sukhumvit. Others, who wish to ruin there entire soi like the corner bar on soi 22 sukhumvit, dare to ask 200 baht for a mixer with half a shot of booze.

The average nice place with girls charges me 100-120 and 150 for the girls, 50 for the girl.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

54 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Made what up? Beers in Go Go bars are 3 times more than a fan beer bar. If you don't know that you have no right to comment on this subject because you have never been here or experienced a wide range of drinking venues

Well, the last time I was in Dollhouse on Soi Cowboy it was 80 a bottle, maybe a year ago (or perhaps that was just a covid promo). I think the street bar around the corner was 100 or 120 (like most other bars downtown).

I have drunk in virtually every type of bar between Nana and Phrom Phong, as well as Silom and it ranges from 80 to 120 a bottle generally. I certainly have never ventured to Thong Lor though.

Most places charge similar prices despite the venue being very different.

You're not paying for the beer, you're paying for the location.  Personally I have no gripes with paying 3 x 7Eleven rate for a beer if I'm staying at a nice hotel. They're there to make money, this is something I understand and anyone that turns their nose up at that should simply sleep in their car. . .

If I'm in a bar I'll gladly pay more for my beer if the tits and @r$e are up to snuff.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

What you moan about could be mistaken as A silly racist, immature generalization from a disgruntled inexperienced person who should return home..Try to live within your means and have more empathy with poor thais and bar owners who have just lost 8 months income.

I will save my sympathies for people who deserve it.   The waitresses, certainly. They have my sympathy.

Bar owners who have way over charged for years and decades: no sympathy at all. They can have an 8 month holiday. And they did!

They were allowed to open for food, but most flat out refused until booze came back. They wouldn't get out of bed for the lesser income. They got used to the high margin booze business. Only a few pubs opened for food at the first available moment and I appreciate them for that. The others brazenly told me when I messaged them, they wouldn't open until alcohol came back. Obviously, they had enough in the bank and didn't want to get out of bed for a lower income. Up to them.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sometimes I pay 150B for a bottle of water. It depends on where and the company. 

Think about back home. A beer in a local pub might be cheap. But go to a bar with some pretty girls and even the high Thai prices are suddenly very good.

Before covid a mix drink in Sanfrancisco was 11 dollars, Beer I presume was more than likely 6 dollars. What are the Happy Hour prices around Nana usually cheap

Honestly, I think the only lower-mid Sukhumvit bar that is reasonably priced is The Red Lion.

89 baht a pint of Singha and it's a good pint too. And that's all day. The don't do the infantile, greedy, parasitical price increase as soon as it gets dark. Have to respect them for that.

10 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Is that like the greedy and infantile happy hour?

Those are decent normal prices.

What happens after Happy Hour is you pay rip-off prices (30-50% more) for the privilege of drinking at night. It's either that or go home and drink from 7Eleven, cos it's hard to find a bar that doesn't put the prices up.

You can't be this dense to marketing tricks, can you?

You don't think it's a rubbish way to treat a customer? All they are communicating is we are stupid, walking wallets -- not valued customers. They might as well say, "Pay through the nose, or beat it!"

Edited by FruitPudding