Reviving Thailand: Street Food

webfact

sf.jpg

video screenshot

In March of 2020, the Thai Government declared a state of emergency. Soon afterwards borders were closed to foreign arrivals due to the stringent measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

The number of foreign tourists dropped dramatically from nearly 40 million to 6,700. 

The tourism industry generated three trillion baht for the country which equals 20% of the country’s GDP. Two-thirds of that tourism revenue came from foreign visitors, but that was before the emergence of the coronavirus.

So far more than four million people have been forced out of work and millions more who work indirectly in the tourism industry have also been affected, especially street food.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/reviving-thailand-street-food/

Logo-top-.png
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Marinating meat in carbon monoxide for hours in 30+ temperatures surrounded by wild dogs licking the fingers of the chef does not sound like a healthy option.  Where does he go to relieve himself and/or wash his hands? The smoke from the broiling fat/coals merely adds to the flavour and the PM2.5 haze.

you forgot about the 300 flies that landed for an inspection

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

It all seems very sad until one gets stuck behind someone pushing their cart down the middle of the Main Rd, or that damned sam-lor doing 5kph.... or one is forced out onto the Rd by a street cart to be mowed down by a brat in a Ferrarai in the gutter!

• Like 2

While you're reviving  it please make sure some basic hygiene rules are taught, especially the washing of hands after the Vendor has used the Toilet,  or have changed the Nappy of the baby in tow..   like it witnessed yesterday,  without hand washing   

I cannot see how the street food stalls targeting tourists will recover from the plan that replaces the old kind of budget tourism in high numbers with a limited number of wealthy quality tourists - of course apart from the single Michelin-star street food stall...????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

One food vendor that I patronized on a regular basis sterilized all utensils with boiling water.  He and his wife seemed very concerned about proper sanitation.  Flies were not a problem since he was only open after sundown. 

When the roaches are out.....

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, billd766 said:

One of the nicest things about street food in Thailand is not only the vast amount of choices, but nobody forces you to eat any of it.

If you want to eat regulated portions of food in very sanitary places you can do that too, There are many fast food places in BKK to do so as well, and it will look and taste the same as any fast food chains world.

Part of the enjoyment of Thailand is/was street food. In their ways of "improving" Thailand's future, this government is trying to become more like Singapore and less like Thailand.

And what is wrong with Singapore?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

And what is wrong with Singapore?

I was based there from 1968 until 1971 and it was a great fun place. The last time I was there in 1994 it was changing towards up market.

I used to eat at a Chinese place on Albert street on my first trip and in the 1990s the same place was there but in Albert Plaza. The food was still good and the toilet was no longer a hole in the floor. Bugis street had vanished along with the worst toilet I had ever seen. There were no pirate or pick up taxis anymore and you had to go to a taxi stand to flag down a taxi.

You could buy almost anything in Change Alley. Gone for ever.

Having said that, Singapore was a good place (a bit expensive though) for a holiday.

In Bangkok The rotten BMA and junta destroyed Thai Street food, street life and culture..Sadly this cultural vandalism was supported by some mainly white foreigners...Suk 3 to 19 used to be great till the grubby, mindless unelected administrators closed it down. A punishment of poor people for not supporting the military..One reason I left Bangkok and moved to Pattaya..

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Signapore is Anodyne, plastic, neurotically controlled and totally lacking in authentic energy. A safe space for the fearful, timid and unadventourous.. Anal retentive drug laws, a dictatorship in all but name with the dullest citizens in the world living a cultural desert..

Yeah, but do you like it?  ????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tjintx said:

True story.   I eat and enjoy street food everywhere and am quite careful as to picking vendors who are healthy and sanitary.   My work colleagues were always aghast that I would seek out and enjoy street food in India...until over two or so years, every single one of them got food poisoning eating at the restaurants in the most famous, posh and expensive Mumbai hotel. 

Posh restaurants and hotels have hidden kitchens and are not subject to public gaze

• Like 2