Car Sales Surge on COVID-19 Concerns

webfact

4c147eb685a00aba35e6f1cf8286b5a3_small.jpg

By Suwit Rattiwan

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) says bookings at the Thailand International Motor Expo are expected to hit organizers’ targets as consumer concerns persist about the COVID-19 pandemic.

The 12-day event that ends today (Dec 12) received a positive response from consumers, with bookings of between 10,000 and 14,000 units during the first 10 days of the 38th Motor Expo. The organizers expect nearly 800,000 people to visit the Impact Challenger exhibition Center, with another 200,000 to view the event via online applications.

Carmakers and dealers have speculated that the positive response stems from more people wanting to buy personal vehicles to avoid contracting COVID-19 on public transportation.

The FTI had previously set a 2021 automobile production target of 1.55-1.60 million units, with 800,000-850,000 units exported. Domestic sales during the first ten months, however, fell 2.1 percent year-on-year, to 596,393 units.

The FTI expects the Expo to contribute to domestic car sales, which is projected to reach 750,000 units by the end of 2021.

nnt.jpg
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Dionigi said:

went to buy a new toyota last week and was told 3 to 4 months wait. JIT doesn't seem to be working.

And hardly anything on the showroom floor or on the lot. Lucky if you can view a car/truck/suv that is being picked up by the new purchaser. Not like the USA at all, no current selection or very little.

I can barely believe so many in Thailand have a million or more baht for a vehicle but they must.

Edited by IAMHERE
spelling
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Carmakers and dealers have speculated that the positive response stems from more people wanting to buy personal vehicles to avoid contracting COVID-19 on public transportation.

Or just some bargain prices to be had.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dionigi said:

went to buy a new toyota last week and was told 3 to 4 months wait. JIT doesn't seem to be working.

Any new vehicle I bought over the years in Thailand was the same. You ordered it and then got it a few months later. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

And hardly anything on the showroom floor or on the lot. Lucky if you can view a car/truck/suv that is being picked up by the new purchaser. Not like the USA at all, no current selection or very little.

I can barely believe so many in Thailand have a million or more baht for a vehicle but they must.

Rang BKK sent a rep down to Pattaya with the paperwork, new car to be picked up after paperwork completed. Must be Pattaya car dealers never had this kind of service from them.

I ordered a new Toyota Hilux Revo GR in November (Nakorn Ping Toyota, Chiang Mai).  The dealer had many pick ups in stock, but only 1 customer ordered GR waiting for the bank processing.  He told me it would take one to two months, but as I was paying cash he would try to move me up in the queue.  It took 7 weeks.  On the day I picked up mine, he said they were delivering 15 other vehicles that day and more during the week.  Obviously many customers are still comfortable with purchasing new vehicles.

Delivery Crop 2.jpg

Hoop and Stick sales are also booming because of Covid 19.  Cheap and affordable transport for the hoi palloi.  Economical and environmentally friendly too. 

Only downside is that being lightweight they are easy to steal which can be inconvenient if yours gets stolen whilst on holiday leaving you stranded without the means to get home.

Hoop And Stick by Fox Photos

Considering over  60% of electricity generated in Thailand is by fossil fuels, I hope you feel good driving an EV, because that is the only good thing.

Don't t take it too far as charging stations are few & far between along with  slow chargers in most of them