Eight Omicron cases confirmed in Thailand so far, three others await confirmation

snoop1130

23 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So why not just provide the details and we can all stop guessing? If the details provided proof of how deadly Omicron was don't you think they would have released that? It certainly fits their narrative of how we all need to get the booster and hide behind the sofa for a few more months.

The paucity of detail tells me everything I need to know.

I agree. The first thing I thought about when they reported it was the lack of any detail regarding the age and circumstances

7 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Because the announcement stated that the patient “died with” Omicron, it’s possible that the medical examiner may conclude that Omicron was not the primary cause of death.

Yet it was officially announced by UKHSA as a covid, Omi death. 

The WHO also announced no Omicron deaths yet, why because none had been sequenced at that time, there had been multiple deaths in SA at the same time.

Edited by Bkk Brian

Just now, Trujillo said:

Eight omicron cases confirmed in Thailand so far, three others await confirmation

Who cares? 

Seriously. If you didn't follow this soap opera like a starving dog chasing a rubber bone, what difference would it make to you? Answer: zero. 

Given the virulence of Omicron, if it turns out to be as lethal as Delta, then millions more will die. That would make a difference to me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Ignore my previous comment, I don't think Philosophy is really your bag.

First lockdowns were the answer, but they didn't work since they really just destroyed the economy and livelihoods and Covid remained. Then vaccines were the way out of this (and I believe they are since they reduce symptoms and deaths which is the main thing), but you couldn't really make a better case for the "anti vaxers" than locking down the population again after everyone got jabbed - I'm double jabbed by the way so forget about labeling me anti-vax.

So if vaccines don't really work (if cases not deaths are going to be used as the key indicator), shall we just lockdown every few months every time a mutation with symptoms akin to a mild cold comes along? Just let people die of other undiagnosed illnesses, take their own lives from depression, lose their homes, their businesses, deprive kids of their education. 

Meanwhile people like you think locking down is the "right thing to do" and is somehow more responsible. The old "I'm alright Jack" approach.

You don’t seem to understand the difficulty of suppressing an extremely infectious virus. The main reason for the restrictions is to protect hospitals from being swamped.

Assuming you don’t want hospitals swamped, how would you suggest avoiding that nightmare scenario?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Well that's their personal choice isn't it.

I've got mine booked for next month. But frankly, if the first 2 jabs weren't the way out of this then I am doubtful that the 3rd will miraculously change everything. What gets us out of this is for people to grow a pair, get the jab (if they wish) and then get on with life.

If you wish to hide behind the sofa for a couple more years, I certainly won't be objecting.

Getting on with life = letting the hospitals get swamped.

• Like 1

Looking a head of the curve, South Africa has a low Delta rate. Europe a high potent Delta rate. Having now seeded Europe with Omicron and allowing it to mix naturally with Delta in the population, I wonder where we go next?

With even basic knowledge of this pandemic, we now have a clear insight into just how easily and terrifying a cultured biological weapon could potentially permeate the world in weeks. A Hollywood movie would be nothing on that event.

... and we still believe this was a some unfortunate incident meat market incident between a bat and vendor.....      

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

"Given the virulence of Omicron, if it turns out to be as lethal as Delta, then millions more will die. That would make a difference to me."

We already know that it is NOT as lethal. And millions dying every year of hypertension makes a difference to you? Are you out there every day advocating in a meaningful way better diet -- no processed foods and sugary drinks? Are you protesting in a meaningful way the rape of the land for palm oil and sugar that contributes to this?

Smoking? Drugs? Alzheimer's? 

Some people just love tyranny, and covid has given them perfect cover to advocate for it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

"Given the virulence of Omicron, if it turns out to be as lethal as Delta, then millions more will die. That would make a difference to me."

We already know that it is NOT as lethal. And millions dying every year of hypertension makes a difference to you? Are you out there every day advocating in a meaningful way better diet -- no processed foods and sugary drinks? Are you protesting in a meaningful way the rape of the land for palm oil and sugar that contributes to this?

There is no evidence that Omicron is milder, no studies have been done on that as its too early even the SA "mild" hospital report is a very small snapshot of mainly under 50 year olds admitted to hospitals. Its all anecdotal at the moment

That said I do believe it "could" be milder but belief and evidence are two very separate things. In the meantime we do have evidence coming through that the normal 2 dose regime of the current covid vaccines are not a lot of good and boosters are desperately needed.

It does not need to be as lethal as Delta to cause countless more deaths because of its transmissibility and vaccine evasion capabilities.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Covid has quickly become a tool to control the population through fear, and/or a means of diverting attention away from other failures of government. Thailand is a great example of the former and the UK a great example of the latter.

Unfortunately most people have rolled over to have their tummy tickled. I won't be betting on this new ultra authoritarian style of governance leaving when Covid subsides, the politicians have come to love the power too much. Expect exaggerated new strains and convenient spikes in numbers whenever new legislation or restrictions are deemed desirable. 

Because of your comment, very soon somebody is going to label you as "conspiracy theorist" and/or "antivax".

We live in very sad irrational times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

No need to be a drama queen.

Omicron has very mild symptoms. Isolating at home will be fine for most. 

Too early to tell. Check back in a couple of weeks.

If it is mild, then, yes, life can return to normal. Or maybe its only mild for the vaccinated, or the young.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

We don't know that yet, sorry. Too early to know yet. I hope you are right.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

There is no evidence that Omicron is milder, no studies have been done on that as its too early even the SA "mild" hospital report is a very small snapshot of mainly under 50 year olds admitted to hospitals. Its all anecdotal at the moment

That said I do believe it "could" be milder but belief and evidence are two very separate things. In the meantime we do have evidence coming through that the normal 2 dose regime of the current covid vaccines are not a lot of good and boosters are desperately needed.

It does not need to be as lethal as Delta to cause countless more deaths because of its transmissibility and vaccine evasion capabilities.

Why are boosters so desperately needed, if the first two haven't achieved anything in terms of omicron.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Khabib said:

Why are boosters so desperately needed, if the first two haven't achieved anything in terms of omicron.

Because after a booster of pfizer it brings your immunity level back to around 75% effectiveness against symptomatic infection with Omicron, how long that immunity levels last for in the booster however its too early to say.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Because after a booster of pfizer it brings your immunity level back to around 75% effectiveness against symptomatic infection with Omicron, how long that immunity levels last for in the booster however its too early to say.

The only thing with that, if there's not even confirmation about the extent of symptoms with omicron, how is it possible to know the efficiency of the current vaccines against it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

Having now seeded Europe with Omicron and allowing it to mix naturally with Delta in the population, I wonder where we go next?

Let's Xi which variant we will get from mixing the Delta and Omicron. Oh hang on. It won't be that one.

• Haha 1

Just now, Khabib said:

The only thing with that, if there's not even confirmation about the extent of symptoms with omicron, how is it possible to know the efficiency of the current vaccines against it.

A comprehensive assessment has been carried out which is where I got my figures.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1040076/Technical_Briefing_31.pdf

However it also says:

"The final analysis included 56,439 Delta and 581 Omicron cases. Given the small numbers of Omicron cases in this first analysis, the Omicron estimates are subject to significant uncertainty with wide confidence intervals and will be refined in future analyses. Vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic disease."

So this is early to be definitive in the same way its early to be definitive that Omicron is mild

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1