Eight Omicron cases confirmed in Thailand so far, three others await confirmation

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, Uroller said:

I see and hear lots of panic from politicians (scare mongering), but nothing about why this new variant is spreading so fast, is it immune to the vaccine, is it immune to mask wearing  is it immune to alcohol??? Fear mongering to control people is a fascist/communist tactic to help governments control the people???? are we trying to defeat the common cold, or influenza that kills thousands and thousands every year, what exactly is the end game with Covid? Will it be a booster shot for every new variant?

It has already been announced in numerous outlets that this latest variant of concern; Omicron, is calculated to be 4x more contagious than the Delta variant of concern which itself is more contagious than previous variants (by how much I don’t recall).

There have been thousands of new variants already. 
It is only specific variants which are termed ‘variants of concern’ due to their characteristics. So, no, a new booster will not be required for ‘every new variant’. 

Variants of concern are called such because they are, well, of concern & can / may be able to evade detection & vaccines, cause more severe symptoms, or are just a lot more contagious.

It is possible that the Omicron variant evades ‘older’ vaccines (i.e as the antibodies diminish) and is more contagious meaning there is a far greater risk of spread than with previous variants and thus a greater risk of antigenic drift into a variant which causes more severe symptoms. 

A response is needed to slow down any virus which is so easily transmitted & has the potential to evolve into something more serious. 

3 minutes ago, itsari said:

That is the geographical agreed consensus .I was meaning the source of the virus . .

Its inconclusive as to whether this is a natural virus , whether its an accident caused by a leak at a laboratory or a deliberate leaking of the virus .

But how would finding out the source be of any benefit to anyone ?

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its inconclusive as to whether this is a natural virus , whether its an accident caused by a leak at a laboratory or a deliberate leaking of the virus .

Agree with your statement except the source is i think going to be important . Laboratory or deliberate would invite litigation for retributions'.

• Like 1

It could determine how the virus infected humans. By way of birds, bats or other animals, or via an escape from test tube experiments in the Wuhan labs.  Knowledge is king in preventing another virus onslaught.

4 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

It could determine how the virus infected humans. By way of birds, bats or other animals, or via an escape from test tube experiments in the Wuhan labs.  Knowledge is king in preventing another virus onslaught.

The irony there being the goal of securing knowledge may be the root cause of the outbreak in the first place. 

The Wuhan Institute of Virology & Dr. 
Shi Zhengli we’re researching Coronaviruses. While there is no definitive proof of a lab outbreak there is plenty of circumstantial evidence & to top that off China are refusing to release records from the Lab (Wuhan Institute of Virology).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The irony there being the goal of securing knowledge may be the root cause of the outbreak in the first place. 

The Wuhan Institute of Virology & Dr. 
Shi Zhengli we’re researching Coronaviruses. While there is no definitive proof of a lab outbreak there is plenty of circumstantial evidence & to top that off China are refusing to release records from the Lab (Wuhan Institute of Virology).

Could be that they were doing experiments on bats and once the experiments were over , they incinerated the bats . And the person who was in charge of the incineration thought that he would make a few extra Yen by selling the bats to the local market ?

• Haha 1

The rapidity with which Omicron is taking hold in Europe "In Norway, health authorities warned that if no countermeasures were taken Omicron could infect up to 300,000 people a day compared with the previous peak of about 1,000 cases."

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1470634875799568385

Surge in Omicron cases in Denmark and UK sends warning to rest of Europe

The Omicron variant is now having a clear impact on case numbers in Denmark and the UK, the first evidence outside southern Africa of its ability to change the course of the pandemic. Epidemiologists say the two countries offer an early warning of how infections and hospital admission rates could spike across Europe this winter and show the need for effective booster programmes to be in place.

https://www.ft.com/content/3c27c135-fdbc-4db7-8c7c-6e1f6c386235

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Today, Boris the clown (and I actually quite like him) stated the UK had had it's first 'with' covid Omicron death.

Now I surely am not the only one seeing through this scare scenario. 

No age given of the dead person. No stating of previous health issues, no stating if the person caught it on their death bed suffering from final stage cancer, an electric scooter rider run over by a bus, a 400kg man with heart disease, an 80 a day smoker with lung disease, a 102 year old pensioner.....................

Total political scare mongering of the public by ALL the politicians.

Want to give the facts, fine we are all ears, but give is all the facts, not the ones you think will just scare people. 

I've had three jabs, i support the vaccines roll outs, but heavens stop the nonsense scare mongering

Pure deflection from the flack that the scumbag is under over last year's Xmas party.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Could be that they were doing experiments on bats and once the experiments were over , they incinerated the bats . And the person who was in charge of the incineration thought that he would make a few extra Yen by selling the bats to the local market ?

Anything is possible..,

An earlier US led inspection of the institute criticized the security / safety protocol. 

One of the criticisms was that work was being carried out under biohazard level 2 (which is the same as a dentist). 
I suspect a mistake was made & virologist or lab tech actually carried the SARS-CoV-2 virus out of the lab (I.e. in their respiratory tract & then spread it or actually contracted Covid-19 & spread it).

All theory…. But not implausible. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/omicron-ireland-expert-says-new-22442047

Glass half full?

End of the pandemic? Take your pick.

Another SA expert but who knows at this stage, we can only hope thats the case, good to see he's announced the Omicron deaths in The epicenter Province:

"Gauteng cases have peaked already, and there is only a slight uptick in C-19 deaths. Total confirmed C-19 deaths from #Omicron is estimated at 640 for this wave. Gauteng had 15,400 confirmed C-19 deaths from Delta."

Boris gets slated on here for announcing one....lol

Edited by Bkk Brian

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Another SA expert but who knows at this stage, we can only hope thats the case, good to see he's announced the Omicron deaths in The epicenter Province:

"Gauteng cases have peaked already, and there is only a slight uptick in C-19 deaths. Total confirmed C-19 deaths from #Omicron is estimated at 640 for this wave. Gauteng had 15,400 confirmed C-19 deaths from Delta."

Boris gets slated for announcing one....lol

There have been some issues with data collection in South Africa but it seems omicron will explode like a bomb and then peak quickly.

The next question is will it displace Delta or coexist?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Boris gets slated on here for announcing one....lol

Yea I'm aware of that data problem they had. I also notice yesterdays testing figures were down to just 45,101 with a 31% positivity rate. On Sat they tested 104,831 and had a positivity rate of 16.4%

Data coming through from SA is sketchy and not consistent at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uroller said:

I see and hear lots of panic from politicians (scare mongering), but nothing about why this new variant is spreading so fast, is it immune to the vaccine, is it immune to mask wearing  is it immune to alcohol??? Fear mongering to control people is a fascist/communist tactic to help governments control the people???? are we trying to defeat the common cold, or influenza that kills thousands and thousands every year, what exactly is the end game with Covid? Will it be a booster shot for every new variant?

The politicians have no control over future mutations of the virus. 

It seems that you believe there is a grand conspiracy of politicians worldwide with scientists to induce people to vaccinate forever, as if they all have something to gain from people vaccinating.

The reality is that this epidemic is indeed tiresome, but most adults can handle it. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

It will rip through every country on the globe.

Not if but when.

Let's hope Thailand doesn't do it's usual head in the sand routine.

Not every country. Accoridng to the Worldometer figures, China has covid fully under control. Under 100,00 cases since it all began with those evil American gymnasts introducing it.

14 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

No age given of the dead person. No stating of previous health issues, no stating if the person caught it on their death bed suffering from final stage cancer, an electric scooter rider run over by a bus, a 400kg man with heart disease, an 80 a day smoker with lung disease, a 102 year old pensioner.....................

Total political scare mongering of the public by ALL the politicians.

In this age of Wokism, you are not allowed to say who as it is racist, ageist, homophobic, sexist and every other form of ist. Generic only I am afraid. My money was on the 400kg man with heart disease who also refused to have any vaccines at all

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I do not see how reporting a death is scare mongering. Not reporting it would be dishonest, reporting more deaths would be scare mongering. Perhaps a few days is required in respect for the family before his personal details and health are spread far and wide. 

To respect the family, anonimity is sufficient.

It is clear that the UK gov't is playing this card to push those who are undecided to get a booster dose. Btw I am all for boosters, but this is pathetic.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ned Ludd said:

Not every country. Accoridng to the Worldometer figures, China has covid fully under control. Under 100,00 cases since it all began with those evil American gymnasts introducing it.

... well, looks like lil' Omicron is coming home ... 

• Like 2

Seems like this omicron spread much faster than other variant's! And it infect everybody even have get vaccine. I hope everybody get that one and we can continue life in this globe! Im really F tired this lock down's , restrictions, mask use ! Yeah i always wash my hads, when needed but not 20 times a day! Want travel where ever i want, want go bar/restaurant when i want, want see friends where i want and when i want, want kids can do normal study's etc.