Is a TM30 required for an extension if you're staying in a hotel?

I recently came in visa exempt and would like to extend to 60 days. Usually I stay in airbnbs and I know I need a TM30 then, but I have a feeling that's only because I'm staying in private accommodation rather than a licensed hotel. Yesterday as I walked through there was a guy at reception who seemed to be having some trouble getting a TM30 from the hotel - so can anyone confirm whether this is actually required?

Depends on the immigration office you will be applying at, some may require a TM30 has been done.

Hotels do TM30 online (that's why they ask for your passport), so in theory a TM30 report will be in the immigration system when you apply, so nothing for you to do or show, as the guest of the hotel.

If a TM30 is required and the hotel hasn't reported you, then its not usually your problem, so long as you can show that's where you are staying.

The hotels responsibility, not yours.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Depends on the immigration office you will be applying at, some may require a TM30 has been done.

Hotels do TM30 online (that's why they ask for your passport), so in theory a TM30 report will be in the immigration system when you apply, so nothing for you to do or show, as the guest of the hotel.

If a TM30 is required and the hotel hasn't reported you, then its not usually your problem, so long as you can show that's where you are staying.

OP, is best served to have receipt of TM30 when applying for his extension. He did not mention his imm office.

If in Bangkok he will attend MTT and doc check likely to not even give him queue number without TM30.

Doesn't matter at which type of accomodiation you stay.

I would say usually they ask for the TM30 receipt, but sometimes they just don't. I think if they don't ask it's not because you stay at a hotel or some other place, but more likely because some IOs don't care about the TM30, might also vary by day.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Badger18 said:

It is - at least for now it is - but by then I will be in an airbnb so would need a fresh TM30 anyway.

So your future plan is to apply for covid extension.

As stated already, you will require a TM30.

If your Airbnb will not provide a TM30 then imo disregard advice that it's a legal requirement for them. Most likely end in S.fight.

Personally if I was in situation of needing covid extension, I would make sure the owner can do that and supply screenshot of filing. OR

My fall back position would be to check into hotel for a night that can file and provide screen grab of TM30.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2021 at 4:36 AM, Badger18 said:

I recently came in visa exempt and would like to extend to 60 days. Usually I stay in airbnbs and I know I need a TM30 then, but I have a feeling that's only because I'm staying in private accommodation rather than a licensed hotel. Yesterday as I walked through there was a guy at reception who seemed to be having some trouble getting a TM30 from the hotel - so can anyone confirm whether this is actually required?

As others mentioned, may depend on the immigration office.  I was never asked for it in the Bangkok Wattana office in the past.  

On this topic, could you please let us know how the extension request goes for you?  There is a blurb on my embassy website here in the US about not being allowed to extend exempt entries, see below, however it was commented in another thread that it could be just the embassy being wrong about it...still I would like to know the latest experience on the ground.

On 10/4/2021 at 9:34 PM, wn78 said:

Sorry to resurrect the March thread, but it seems there are changes to the exempt visa stay length.  According to a blurb I see on https://thaiembdc.org/visas/ it says that the exempt stay cannot be extended anymore. 

image.png.93977f55a043bb3138b2225caed824c4.png

3 hours ago, wn78 said:

On this topic, could you please let us know how the extension request goes for you?  There is a blurb on my embassy website here in the US about not being allowed to extend exempt entries, see below, however it was commented in another thread that it could be just the embassy being wrong about it...still I would like to know the latest experience on the ground.

The embassy website info is out of date. See my reply to a post you did here.

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The embassy website info is out of date. See my reply to a post you did here.

Yes I saw that, much appreciated @ubonjoe.  I was just asking the OP here to share his latest experience on the ground, to make sure nothing has changed post-Covid on that procedure.  I'm really trying to avoid getting a visa as I prefer the simplicity of exempt entry.

14 minutes ago, wn78 said:

I was just asking the OP here to share his latest experience on the ground, to make sure nothing has changed post-Covid on that procedure.  I'm really trying to avoid getting a visa as I prefer the simplicity of exempt entry.

Nothing has changed for the 30 day extension since they started allowing visa exempt entries late last year.

• Thanks 1

Word of warning from my Mrs. ( has hotel).

Patong immigration is intermittently rejecting online TM30 registrations even in hard copy.

They are wanting the manual one along with property issued POA and 10thb officialdom stamp.

Edited by pookett

On 12/13/2021 at 5:04 PM, Peterw42 said:

It becomes your problem when immigration will not give you a visa extension without the TM30 report done by the hotel

• Thanks 1

Be SAFE, make sure, EVERY time you CHANGE address a TM-30 IS filed. 

YOU are responsible that ALL paperwork is up to date.

If you are on a EXTENSION OF STAY, some offices basically ignore a TM-30 filed by hotels for a short ( weeknd and etc ) stay as long as your 90 day report address is up to date and reflects where you actually live. 

YOU can file a TM-30 as POSSESSOR as I have done several times.

Again check with YOUR LOCAL IO for their requirements.

On 12/13/2021 at 11:15 AM, DrJack54 said:

So your future plan is to apply for covid extension.

As stated already, you will require a TM30.

If your Airbnb will not provide a TM30 then imo disregard advice that it's a legal requirement for them. Most likely end in S.fight.

Personally if I was in situation of needing covid extension, I would make sure the owner can do that and supply screenshot of filing. OR

My fall back position would be to check into hotel for a night that can file and provide screen grab of TM30.

Good point!! I'll be trying that myself. Also when I check-in will specifically ask for copy of TM30, but assuming this takes some time. Then next day, if they refuse, will tell them "ok checking out, going somewhere else", and possibly put some pressure on the issue. If it's just a screenshot or copy, can't see why they'd refuse, but it is Thailand after all.

If staying as tourist and at a hotel then how would one even know what the hell a TM30 is? It's the hotel's responsibility to file. Even if at a rented condo (airbnb) then a tourist could not be expected to know. As a long term stayer on anything other than a tourist visa/extension then the situation is different IMO.

28 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

If staying as tourist and at a hotel then how would one even know what the hell a TM30 is? It's the hotel's responsibility to file. Even if at a rented condo (airbnb) then a tourist could not be expected to know. As a long term stayer on anything other than a tourist visa/extension then the situation is different IMO.

So long a tourist wants an extension from the Immigration office, he/she will soon find out.  Otherwise, no need to know.

21 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

So long a tourist wants an extension from the Immigration office, he/she will soon find out.  Otherwise, no need to know.

So I'm staying as a tourist at the Shangri-La or Oriental hotel in Bangkok as a first time "quality" tourist and decide to stay another 30 days because I like the country so much. I have to go all the way to immigration in person to extend my stay and they tell me "need TM30 sir, no have, cannot". I say "OK and will leave in that case". So much for Thailand wanting quality tourists to come.

33 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

So I'm staying as a tourist at the Shangri-La or Oriental hotel in Bangkok as a first time "quality" tourist and decide to stay another 30 days because I like the country so much. I have to go all the way to immigration in person to extend my stay and they tell me "need TM30 sir, no have, cannot". I say "OK and will leave in that case". So much for Thailand wanting quality tourists to come.

How do you think the tourist going to find out?  The 5-star hotels may register the guest but not all hotels or guest houses.  The tourist will only find out when he goes to the Immigration office for his extension.