Surprised by customer service

jackdd

Really surprised that OP had his room paid for him. Great result.

Think the owner went the whole 9 yards.

I have zero issues with accommodation in Thailand and we travel a LOT.

Some people prefer the low key level of service. That's my go.

Personally don't see need for much improvement Thailand service wise.

By way of comparison I find the level of service and general friendly manner of the staff in hotels at places such as Hanoi to be step up.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

I have a friend in Chiang Mai who owned a small hotel, he had a customer who complained about no parking but they had no car. It comes from both sides, people pay the cheapest they can find then some how expect 4 star service. I have never had any problem with booking a hotel are staying in one for over 21 years of Thai time.

On 12/14/2021 at 7:23 AM, HAPPYNUFF said:

I must say, generally  I have received very  professional service  at   those hotels I have stayed in, in Thailand.  However, I   still recall  one particular hotel  I  had  booked  , for my wife and I on line, while we were still  living overseas.

This is a  well known hotel  here, with   hotels in several locations.

As  I had booked one of those "package tours" those  days,  the deal included breakfast for   both of us.   We arrived at the hotel  around 11pm,  things were quiet at the check in desk, and the night manager, a young guy, was very busy, talking to a female on the phone, as my wife told me, as she  could hear  him.  We  were treated in a cursory fashion, arrival cards  tossed at us, passport  grabbed, photocopied, with one hand, the other still clutching  his phone, room keys tossed at us,, so off we went to our room.

We stayed at this particular hotel  5 days,  ordering room service for breakfast each day, and  giving the  maid or waiter a good tip each morning, ,however, on checking out I was presented with a bill for  some 2000 baht, and told  this was for our breakfast.  I  explained our booking had included breakfast, and was told we should have attended at the restaurant each AM for  breakfast, not  have it via room service.  I realise now, this is the norm, but  those   distant days I wasnt aware of that requirement, and now  also know  I should have been advised of that by the duty night manager, or given  dockets/tickets, for   breakfast.   I also  asked what was the difference whether we ate in our room, or the restaurant, but payment was still demanded.   I refused.   the manager, a Thai female  then  spoke to me in a most  contemptuous manner, and merely  glared at my wife, assuming I suppose, she was   a one night stand bar girl, and was told the police   would be called.    I   told them good,  get a lot of them because Im not  giving    you one baht  and gave  her a return look of contempt,  We walked out.. Last time we ever  gave our custom to that hotel chain.    I realise   this was partly due to my lack  of knowledge of hotel procedure those days, but  the  manner we were spoken to was uncalled for and  I  now  understand it is a Thai trait to  those  they consider beneath them, as us farangs  seem to be....      Happy now, rant over...

Name & Shame M8 ??

On 12/14/2021 at 8:37 AM, HampiK said:

I am surprised how you come to the conclusion that the in-room breakfast should be free (I know at covid time there were hotels given this specials, as it was better in-room than a crowd in a restaurant). But which hotels you attend before (as you told you your hotels in several locations) gave you in-room breakfast?

I stay in hotels often, and this is not the norm! In my view (yes the young guy should told you) but you also could have asked instead of ordering in-room and then complain!

Whenever We have stayed in Hotels here the Breakfast can be taken IN Room Service at NO Extra cost,But We Never did that as I Don't like Crumbs off Me Toast getting in the Bed......

I think personal anecdotes have a limited value here apart from amusement.

It would appear however, that many people don't actually appreciate what customer service really is.

any people come to Thailand wit very limited travel experience and even less variety of experience.

when they get to a resort with a classic with sandy beach, and waving palms, they are usually vey impressed.

in their room a leelawadi flower is placed on the pillow and the towels are knotted to look like a swan. ... None of this is customer service.

Real customer service occurs when a mistake is make (as in the OP) and the company then puts it right promptly and satisfactorily.

Usually most people on a 2 to 4 week stay have no need to test the mettle of their resorts customer service.

They love the way bellhops and maids bustle about and they get cocktails at a cheap price - with the low rates of pay in Thailand it is possible for resorts to employ many more staff than in the west and many menial services exist in Thailand that would be out priced in the West.

So one really needs to think what CS really entails and in general in Thailand the philosophy falls short of good industry expectations.

Well I had an experience on Monday with a large DIY chain.

From a previous purchase I was given a 1000 baht discount voucher. Went into the store picked an item.

Got to the checkout and the cashier said "No" ! and just slid it backl I said what do you mean "no" ?

computer not accept, cannot use. I then asked for a Supervisor, Person appears tries various attempts at the checkout and again says "cannot".

At this point I asked for a specific explanation, as the voucher was clear and within date.

We then get referred to the Customer Service desk. Here they explain that the voucher cannot be used for the item I am purchasing. I then pointed out that the voucher does not state any restrictions Terms ot conditions only that the purchase nade was over 2k. Thry said sorry but nothing they can do.

Now I start to get upset, a little loud, and demand to see the Manager ! I am messed around a little, told to ring the call centre Then another aSupervisor appears and says sorry but nothing can ve done.! I then told them to,please  get the Manager of the store as this was wrong.

After a few minutes a woman appears, she is the Manager, and by all accounts had been sat behind a screen the whole time. I explained to her my displeasure etc, the somewhat embarrasing situation at the checkout and that the voucher did not contain anything relating to any exclusions nor Terms and condiotions neither on the voucher nor in the store and therefore they should honor it.

She then read over the Voucher, and agreed it was wrong and proceeded to manually discount the item at the checkout.

Ok, objective achieved Ismiled and said thank you !

She then gave me back the voucher to use another time and apologised for the inconvenience caused. Effectively DOUBLING  my discount. Surprised would be understatement, ????