The Farang Pub: How Intelligent are the Posters. And, what can the Normal Curve tells us about the lengths of their pickles, .... if anything?

GammaGlobulin

Great humor is a sign of great intelligence.

Often, on the Farang Pub, you will read an odd remark intended to make you chuckle.

For sure, posters here are smart, and do not dwell overly much on mundane issues, such as where to buy farang things in Thailand, like Brie.

Most people here already know where to buy things.

But, what do we know about the intelligence of the people posting on the Farang Pub, after reading "The Bell Curve", an often misunderstood book?

I don't know what you know, however I would say that the people posting on the Farang Pub forum are fairly far right of being normally intelligent.

In my opinion, most posters are about one standard deviation to the right, ...  or... MORE.

hqdefault.jpg.d9af40f0c43aadca212d8e65b2473779.jpg

How do we know this?

Well, you just know by reading posts on this forum, if you are intelligent enough to understand them.

I mean, what would the point be in posting here if there were no intelligent readers to respond to one's posts?

Particularly, what would the point be in even posting if there were none who were able to appreciate what one had written?

Right?

In NO WAY am I being facetious here.

In all honesty, there are some very smart and humorous people here....on this Pub Forum.

Maybe, too, and probably so, there are a few caring individuals who can enlighten us with various thoughts concerning how to continue living our lives in Thailand while maximizing our longevity and simultaneously adding to our feelings of satisfaction with our Asian existence through the pursuit of something similar to what Maslow termed Self-actualization.

But, back to the topic at hand, I would guess that the =average= IQ, if measured on the Wechsler, for this forum, would be somewhere around 110.

However, there are also many outliers who obviously would score much higher.

And, I am just wondering, just out of idle curiosity, which one of you all might test at about 3 standard deviations to the right?

I know there must be at least one of you.

In a normal curve, given enough posters, then there must be at least one genius here.

Still, it is hard to tell from your writing.

Maybe you should out yourself, if you are the genius we know is here, but maybe just lurking.

• Like 2

It always comes as a shock to the unfortunate individuals that fall to the left of the distribution curve that it is actually a mathematical requirement that 50% of the population have less than average intelligence.

• Like 2

I went to visit a friend in hospital a day after she had her first baby and she said " he's highly intelligent and he has a great sense of humour"

I'm thinking "you figured that out in a day? ????????"

• Haha 1

I'm just thick as a brick, product of a good university education designed to knock any sense outta me!

Thinking about it, not sure if that expression 'thick as a brick' is the result of hanging out with too many somewhat drunk Brits over the years lol

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, sipi said:

I went to visit a friend in hospital a day after she had her first baby and she said " he's highly intelligent and he has a great sense of humour"

I'm thinking "you figured that out in a day? ????????"

Probably she was not so intelligent but she had a sense of humor. ???? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm just thick as a brick, product of a good university education designed to knock any sense outta me!

Thinking about it, not sure if that expression 'thick as a brick' is the result of hanging out with too many somewhat drunk Brits over the years lol

Who dragged who down to who's level?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

One of my favorite quotes is this one:

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” George Carlin

I think Carlin meant "median" and probably knew this but also knew that 95% of his audience wouldn't know what this meant.

You know what I mean?

Edited by pseudorabies

10 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

I think Carlin meant "median" and probably knew this but also knew that 95% of his audience wouldn't know what this meant.

You know what I mean?

I know there is a difference and if necessary I look it up. But I have to admit I use statistical terms so seldom that I don't really know which term is correct in this case without looking it up. We all know what Carlin had in mind and unfortunately it is very true. 

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I know there is a difference and if necessary I look it up. But I have to admit I use statistical terms so seldom that I don't really know which term is correct in this case without looking it up. We all know what Carlin had in mind and unfortunately it is very true. 

The correct term is the one that fits your agenda.

• Haha 1