British passport renewal

james.d

My friend up here in Chiang Mai just applied for one , 

I signed confirming his identity , at the VFS ? is that

the name ,the company that acts on part of the British

Government, they have one in Bangkok too.

Going to take 12 weeks he said , couple years ago I just

sent mine back to UK with form signed,and had my 

daughter post it in for me, receive it, and send it back

to me, at the time there was no office in Chiang Mai,

and I did not want to do a trip to Bangkok.

regards Worgeordie    P.S. you don't have driving license,or

you will have to get letter from

immigration confirming address.

Edited by worgeordie
Add on
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

My friend up here in Chiang Mai just applied for one , 

I signed confirming his identity , at the VFS ? is that

the name ,the company that acts on part of the British

Government, they have one in Bangkok too.

Going to take 12 weeks he said , couple years ago I just

sent mine back to UK with form signed,and had my 

daughter post it in for me, receive it, and send it back

to me, at the time there was no office in Chiang Mai,

and I did not want to do a trip to Bangkok.

regards Worgeordie    P.S. you don't have driving license,or

you will have to get letter from

immigration confirming address.

Many thanks, yes I have a driving license (5 yes), I will check with immigration here in Bangkok.

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

The current extension stamp in your passport is sufficient to establish that you are legally in Thailand. They don't need to know your address, they're not going to post anything direct to you. Read the requirements stated on the application form.

Wrong, wrong and wrong

2 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

The current extension stamp in your passport is sufficient to establish that you are legally in Thailand. They don't need to know your address, they're not going to post anything direct to you. Read the requirements stated on the application form.

I've always thought that to be the case.  As they ask for "Name and address and/or residency evidence" and the first thing listed is "visa or resident permit".  Trouble may well be the VFS staff not really understanding the requirement (perhaps they read this forum too much).

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

I've always thought that to be the case.  As they ask for "Name and address and/or residency evidence" and the first thing listed is "visa or resident permit".  Trouble may well be the VFS staff not really understanding the requirement (perhaps they read this forum too much).

I've always thought so to, maybe @dick turpinwould be kind enough to share the source of his statement "Wrong, wrong and wrong" in response to @Eff1n2ret

I'm sure we've all read the guidance from HM Passport Office

Name and address and/or residency evidence

Name and address and/or residency evidence Please provide one of the following:
• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)
• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority
• educational record eg school report
• employment record eg official letter from your employer
• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department
• medical/health card
• voter’s card
• immigration documents.

• Like 1

I have just renewed my British passport and was advised and did the following to provide "Proof of Address in English"!

Obtain  "Three Months Bank statement(s) from the Bank (BKK in my case) showing my address in Thailand in English.

When I went to the bank I took a letter written in Thai and English which simply said "Please provide a bank statement for the past three months which shows my address in English please.  I showed this to one of the Tellers who told me in excellent English that she could provide such letter and that it would cost, I think 200Baht and I would get it in 30 minutes, which it was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fangless said:

I have just renewed my British passport and was advised and did the following to provide "Proof of Address in English"!

Obtain  "Three Months Bank statement(s) from the Bank (BKK in my case) showing my address in Thailand in English.

When I went to the bank I took a letter written in Thai and English which simply said "Please provide a bank statement for the past three months which shows my address in English please.  I showed this to one of the Tellers who told me in excellent English that she could provide such letter and that it would cost, I think 200Baht and I would get it in 30 minutes, which it was.

Many thanks, l will try this today.

Can l ask, did you renew via VFS Bangkok?

I have tried many times to call them and am still waiting for an appointment slot.

Thanks.

Folk may find this walk-thru guide by Richard Barrow useful, although a couple of years old

it explains the general process, will still need to check current VFS operating hours

www.richardbarrow.com/2019/06/a-quick-guide-to-renewing-your-british-passport-in-bangkok/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, james.d said:

Many thanks, l will try this today.

Can l ask, did you renew via VFS Bangkok?

I have tried many times to call them and am still waiting for an appointment slot.

Thanks.

I could have used the Chiang Mai office but opted to use my standard (legit) agent who also arrange for the stamps transfers etc.

• Thanks 1

Renewed my passport  a couple of years ago at Trendy Building Bangkok.  I do not recall any difficulty with proof of address, but I have yellow book and Thai driving license.  I recall that VFS office was semi-chaos, very crowded, so no surprise they do not answer their phone. i think that you really have to go there in person to get anything done, but quite efficient once you are there

4 hours ago, Robin said:

Renewed my passport  a couple of years ago at Trendy Building Bangkok.  I do not recall any difficulty with proof of address, but I have yellow book and Thai driving license.  I recall that VFS office was semi-chaos, very crowded, so no surprise they do not answer their phone. i think that you really have to go there in person to get anything done, but quite efficient once you are there

I will go on Friday to their office as their telephone is not in service and no email response.

VFS doesn't open daily according to google maps.

21 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

One of the good things about renewing at the HMPO office at VFS is that they will check all the documents before the application is sent off, so will confirm if the proof of address in Thailand is OK.

So will a decent local (legit) agent.  See my post above!

I have just received a reply regarding the interview in Bangkok to renew my British passport. The earliest date is 12th Jan 22.

I'm willing to travel to Chiang Mai as l want to do the interview asap.

Does anyone have the VFS Chiang Mai email address as l can't find it online. (The phone number is the same as BKK and out of order)

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, james.d said:

I have just received a reply regarding the interview in Bangkok to renew my British passport. The earliest date is 12th Jan 22.

Does anyone have the VFS Chiang Mai email address as l can't find it online. (The phone number is the same as BKK and out of order)

Many thanks.

Would it no be just as cheap to use a local agent rather than pay for travel and accommodation?

I am not sure if VFS will allow a third party to collect your new passport, if they do not you need to look at two trips.  

BTW what is the "interview" for?

Edited by fangless
BTW added
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fangless said:

Would it no be just as cheap to use a local agent rather than pay for travel and accommodation?

I am not sure if VFS will allow a third party to collect your new passport, if they do not you need to look at two trips.  

I am unsure how a local agent can get me a new passport. Correct me if I am wrong but does the agent apply on your behalf in the UK?

I'm really unsure about procedures.

I thought the 'interview' was for security purposes.

I have collected passports for friends so l know that's possible.

Edited by james.d

36 minutes ago, james.d said:

I am unsure how a local agent can get me a new passport. Correct me if I am wrong but does the agent apply on your behalf in the UK?

I'm really unsure about procedures.

I thought the 'interview' was for security purposes.

I have collected passports for friends so l know that's possible.

Many months ago (maybe six or seven!) I spoke to my agent (legit) in CM who I have used for many years about how and when to renew my passport.  She worked out the best time slot to renew so that my next extension would be a full one in the new passport and not a shortened extension in the old one due to passport expiry. 

All I know is I that in Mid September I handed over the old passport, the BKK bank statement with my Thai address in English, signed the usual mountain of papers, including "proper" passport photos taken at a shop they recommended and the fee money. 13,500Baht all in! 

I now have a new blue UK passport valid for 10yeras with all my required stamps transferred into it!

No interviews and no travelling to BKK etc.

If I get time I will ask them tomorrow how they actually do it!

Edited by fangless

3 hours ago, fangless said:

It isn't an "interview".  It's just an appointment for submitting the application, making payment and an opportunity for them to check that all the supporting documents are in order.  An agent can do it all for you, if you want to avoid a trip to Bangkok or Chiang Mai (for a fee).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fangless said:

Many months ago (maybe six or seven!) I spoke to my agent (legit) in CM who I have used for many years about how and when to renew my passport.  She worked out the best time slot to renew so that my next extension would be a full one in the new passport and not a shortened extension in the old one due to passport expiry. 

All I know is I that in Mid September I handed over the old passport, the BKK bank statement with my Thai address in English, signed the usual mountain of papers, including "proper" passport photos taken at a shop they recommended and the fee money. 13,500Baht all in! 

I now have a new blue UK passport valid for 10yeras with all my required stamps transferred into it!

No interviews and no travelling to BKK etc.

If I get time I will ask them tomorrow how they actually do it!

New passport,however its received would not need presenting to Thai immigration until the need for swapping visa/extension stamping

Far cheaper doing it in UK personally  using VPN

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, james.d said:

Many thanks.

UK Visa Application Centre
191 Siripanich Building,
6th Floor,
Huay Kaew Road,
Suthep, Mueng
Chiang Mai
Thailand

Email: [email protected]