Inside Pattaya’s struggling sex trade amid pandemic and downturn

webfact

Just now, Tony125 said:

Online can help with meetups but  with no farang visiting who they going to meet up with?

Lol, its a Sausage festival  now.  We all sit around at our favorite  watering hole, and talk about the crowds of men sitting at a bar with maybe two ladirs in it, and its not just one bar like this.  Its funny Pattaya is a Sausage fest at the moment,  and will be until afyer the new year.  The ladies arent coming.   Personally  I have had many contact me from all over Issan asking me is Soi 6 or bars open.  I told tgem yes many with out SHA and SHA + are opening,  and some legitimate.   I said,"why?" The reply was, "because  boss call me from @$%%## bar, and said open bar 16 Dec"  i said, " Seems so."  Then I asked if she was coming.   She said no she will stay home with family to party this new year, and come after.  But the bars can only open fro 5 om to 11 pm so the ladies say whats the point.  Yeah.. bars are dinosaurs  now for ladies

6 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Having never walked in their shoes, I am unqualified to pass judgement on what work they do (or did). What I do know is that 1) despite the supposed booming Thai economy from 2010-2019, many people---especially those with minimal education---were never able to find traditional work. Even 7-11s and Big Cs were wildly overstaffed, and 2) Anyone who is suffering during the Covid Era is worthy of sympathy, whether they're a laid-off hotel worker or someone who worked in the sex industry. Need is need.

Many women in the industry found themselves with child at a tender age. Societal norms in Thailand forced many to leave school in addition to finding a way to earn money to pay for their child (since the baby dad almost always does a runner). Baby dad's life is unaffected, while a 16 year old mother has had her life permanently altered, whether due to a temporary lapse of judgement, moment of passion, or even an act against her will. Uneducated and with a mouth to feed, it isn't surprising some turned to the sex trade to get by. None of us, especially males, can say with certainty what we would have done in similar circumstances. To judge a woman based on what she chose is to delude ourselves into thinking we are somehow morally superior.

Now the subject of the quoted article obviously never got pregnant, but as I similarly do not know his circumstances nor background, and because what he does has no victim, I'm not going to judge. Those who believe themselves to be morally superior by birth are welcome to play god and tell them how they should have lived.

Very well said.

• Like 1

Why is it on one hand many farangs say the sex workers are forced into the sex trade yet when a slow down in customer happens they're all about backing them?  

There's sex workers in every country, including my own, you know why I'm not a hooker?  In school I studied, I went to work at an early age, I didn't turn to selling myself or drugs or turn to a life of crime, so excuse me if I don't have a lot of sympathy for those that did.  

• Sad 2

How many girls back home would do a one night stand with a guy they can choose for 5000 £ a night? This is not really about moral standards, except that the Thai girls would send most of the money back home, where girls back home would keep every single penny. 

• Like 2

The "trade" is changing but not dying off. Prostitution is rapidly and overwhelmingly moving online and it will continue that way, and will definitely replace the old ways (street, gogo/girlie bars etc...etc...) There will be no going back to what old timers knew. Nana's, cowboy's, walking streets and so on will pretty much disapear. The same happened in Paris with Pigalle which 30 or 40 years ago had countless goo bars lining up in the adjacent street. From now on, those who look for "that " will need to look online. Certainly not as fun for a certain type of night -out , but that's how it is.

1 hour ago, Thalueng said:

How many girls back home would do a one night stand with a guy they can choose for 5000 £ a night? This is not really about moral standards, except that the Thai girls would send most of the money back home, where girls back home would keep every single penny. 

I would say that most girls back home would have a one night stand for 5000 GBP , .................probably quite a few straight guys would be up for it as well 

You make casual assumptions in support of prostitution but you know deep down that society ALWAYS frowns on this chosen profession and for good reason.  Every sex worker has a sad story to tell and its never their fault so let those that pity them feed and offer them shelter,  the majority will ALWAYS turn their noses up in disdain and rightfully so

That does not mean that society is right to "frown" on this....chosen profession? If you knew more, you would know that more often than not, it is not a "chosen profession." The fact that you think it is right to "turn your nose up in disdain" shows a shallow character. To judge someone when you totally lack their life experience, not only shows your ignorance, but smacks of old fashioned snobbery. You did not mention the "good reason" either. I would suggest that it is you, that makes the casual assumptions in this case.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

Well because maybe in your country  (Love how so many expats are ashamed to name their country) there are programs like in my country ( USA) that help poor persons with schooling, help if unmarraied and forsaken by father of child that Thailand's Gov does not help with . Basically leaveing the girls to fend for themselves. Your country and mine (USA) offer them more opurtunities to sucseed

OMG, you are joking. The USA is nearly a third world country when it comes to poverty, education, welfare and health. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Many girls in the prostitution "industry" are not Thais but are poorly educated girls from rural areas of neighbouring countries such as Burma.
They are offered legitimate jobs that do not exist.
Instead they are kidnapped, serially raped, and then sold into prostitution by the traffickers.
In some cases they are even sold by relatives - knowingly or without knowledge of the fate that awaits them - to the traffickers.

Girls from the northern reaches of Burma, e.g. Kachinland, are likely to end up in forced marriages to Chinese peasant farmers.

15 minutes ago, ray richards said:

I took a walk up eerie Walking St this week at 7.30pm , maybe 4 restaurants still open but empty, all the gogo bars & beer bars are there but pitch black, really weird experience along with about 4 other tourists also taking a look.

Apocalypse tourism, like visiting Chernobyl. 

• Like 1