Myanmar People Flee Battle to Thailand

webfact

tak.jpg

TAK, Dec 17 (TNA) – About 1,000 Myanmar people fled a clash between Myanmar soldiers and ethnic troops on their homeland and crossed the Moei River to take shelter in Mae Sot district.

The clash between Myanmar soldiers and troops of the Karen National Union happened in Myawaddy opposite Mae Sot at noon. People at the center of Mae Sot district heard gunshots clearly.

Myanmar people ran for life from their bank of the Moei River. Some swam across it. Children and elderly people took boats to the Mae Sot bank. More than 1,000 Myanmar people fled to the Thai bank of the Moei River.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news/line-today-english-news-844429

tnalogo.jpg
  • Sad 8

Just now, darksidedog said:

I have friends in Myanmar and they tell me life is an absolute misery right now and extremely dangerous. I can't blame people for running for their lives, though I would like more information on what the Thai authorities are doing with those who have fled. What with the covid threat and the normal uncaring attitude to their neighbours at the best of times, you have to hope they will not force-ably repatriate them.

Thais uncaring? no way - they already have around 100,000 refugees in their country.

• Haha 2

I wonder why the international community doesn't just oust the military govt and give back the power to the common people?

Isn't that what happened in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, dddave said:

More often than not, a despotic government deposed by force is soon replaced by an even more despotic government.

There is no more despotic govt than that of the military terrorists in Naypyidaw.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I have friends in Myanmar and they tell me life is an absolute misery right now and extremely dangerous. I can't blame people for running for their lives, though I would like more information on what the Thai authorities are doing with those who have fled. What with the covid threat and the normal uncaring attitude to their neighbours at the best of times, you have to hope they will not force-ably repatriate them.

I have lived, travelled or worked in over 50 countries  but the saddest most frightened were in Burma

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

They will be held in make-shift camps and as soon as possible will be sent back.

Thailand has a poor record of helping refugees, but a good one for sending them back.

• Like 2

And to think many Americans want to re elect a despot who wants to have an authoritarian government run by him and his family to increase their wealth and power and jail his opponents now most of his other scams are closing in on him. Remember America the "LAND OF THE FREE" Lets hope it still is after 2024   

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

I wonder why the international community doesn't just oust the military govt and give back the power to the common people?

Isn't that what happened in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Would have to oust the regime in Beijing first!

• Thanks 1

I remember talking to a Thai master sergeant around 1990. I think it was in Mae Sam Laep (near Mae Sariang) on the Salween river, but it could have been further north. This guy’s English was pretty good, and he told me some pretty unsettling stories about his time as a ranger doing border patrols during the 70’s and 80’s. 
While we were talking, I could hear artillery fire just a few miles away across the border and I had heard and read about shells landing on the wrong side of the border, in Thailand, so I didn’t feel 100% safe. It was hard to imagine that wars had been going on over there for more than 40 years already. And now, 30 years on, these wars are still going on, and apparently they sometimes still spill over into Thailand. Very sad. 

8 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

If I’m not mistaken, Thailand has sent back North Korean refugees. That tells you all you need to know about their attitude towards people who flee their countries because of a brutal authoritarian regime.

You are actually mistaken there .

Thailand sends North Korean refugees "back" to South Korea , rather than back to the North

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

If I’m not mistaken, Thailand has sent back North Korean refugees. That tells you all you need to know about their attitude towards people who flee their countries because of a brutal authoritarian regime.

You might be thinking about the 100 Uyghur refugees forcibly sent back to China in 2015.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-uighurs-china-idUSKCN0PJ0E120150709

As Mac pointed out, all NK refugees are sent to SK.

• Thanks 1