travel options from Pattaya to Koh Chang

tgw

I'd be interested to know about travel options from Pattaya to Koh Chang.

I've already driven my car there, but the road is long and can be dangerous.

I'd be interested in all types of passenger and vehicle transport types to Koh Chang, including:

- passenger only, in a bus or minibus, I could then rent a vehicle locally

- ferry, I'd take my car or my motorcycle

Thanks!

18 hours ago, tgw said:

I've already driven my car there, but the road is long and can be dangerous.

Not that long, about 3 and a half hours to the ferry, or particularly dangerous.

You can now take the new No 7 extension down to Suk but I think better to use the 36 and avoid Rayong. Both the 36 and Suk are fairly good roads, use them regularly. Only a short stretch of country road from Suk to the ferry. Driving would end up a lot easier than public transport.

We will be going there for New Year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, internationalism said:

get bus to trat.

Personally I would drive. To avoid traffic the best is night time, to arrive before the first ferry

There is no bus to Trad, unless you're referring to the orange one that used to, maybe still does, leave Ekkamai at 0430, and would hopefully stop as you stood on Sukhumvit Rd in Pattaya frantically waving your arms around 0700.

Try the 35 Group on 3rd road, near junction with South Pattaya Rd. FB page. They run direct to your hotel on Koh Chang and vice versa. 300 THB. Good service. And they will go to the Krom Luang pier at Laem Ngop for Koh Mak.

9 hours ago, internationalism said:

get bus to trat.

Personally I would drive. To avoid traffic the best is night time, to arrive before the first ferry

There is a minibus leaves from behind the Numchai on Sukhumvit..... but I heard that they were not going straight through to Trat... they also advertise Koh Chang, but may require a change in Chanthaburi. I expect it is Thai white knuckle cramped style. 

https://goo.gl/maps/Ly5L2AjZTsQLnceA6

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

There is a minibus leaves from behind the Numchai on Sukhumvit..... but I heard that they were not going straight through to Trat... they also advertise Koh Chang, but may require a change in Chanthaburi. I expect it is Thai white knuckle cramped style. 

https://goo.gl/maps/Ly5L2AjZTsQLnceA6

Yes, change at Chantaburi, and then change again just before the back road turn off for Koh Chang. They'll charge you for the pick-up from there to Koh Chang as well I think. If you carry on to Trad you might end up waiting some time before there are enough people to make it worth the taxi driver's time to do the Koh Chang ferry trip. Or end up paying 200 for "taxi service".

6 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Yes, change at Chantaburi, and then change again just before the back road turn off for Koh Chang. They'll charge you for the pick-up from there to Koh Chang as well I think. If you carry on to Trad you might end up waiting some time before there are enough people to make it worth the taxi driver's time to do the Koh Chang ferry trip. Or end up paying 200 for "taxi service".

I found quite a few dubious practices on some trips to Koh Chang. The usual being when you pre-pay for the ferry in Pattaya, at 3x the regular price. l also once took a smaller ferry back to the mainland and they stopped on a pier, and we had to pay for a songtaew to take us to the 'distant' office where the Pattaya bus left from... 200 baht for 75m!

Edited by jacko45k

You could take a taxi around 3k to your hotel on Koh Chang, The Airport bus is running now again to koh chang and i noticed it now includes U-Tapao. But the drive here is fine and as said I trust myself more than a thai driver, the roads now on the island have been improved with new surfaces, and that new section of Num 7 is a dream, you can even avoid going through most of Bang Chang  on duel carriage way.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Have they finished the roadworks yet on 36 ? been awhile since I used it, going through Rayong is OK on a Sunday normally.

Yes, certainly at the Banglamung end.... been done for quite some time now.

Last time I used 36  to Rayong, 4 months back, I only went  as far as the DVLC there... only roadworks were at that end. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Have they finished the roadworks yet on 36 ? been awhile since I used it, going through Rayong is OK on a Sunday normally.

We came back up from Rayong to Chonburi about a month ago and I can't remember seeing any work at all that caused a hold up.

If you were referring to the stretch coming out of Rayong that is certainly finished and very easy now.

• Thanks 1

You can get a private taxi from Koh Chang people.Book at Colin’s agency CocoDeeBoKohChang, or iamkohchang, Ian.Both great guys. Ian has a good  website and advice on travel.  I always do that as I don’t have a car, and no way I’d go in a mini van again anywhere ! Door to door pick up,and drop,off.

21 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Go on the biggest bus you can and get two seats for yourself..Driving  yourself is a mugs game!

I trust myself driving more than anyone else, we (my missus) had to force a big bus driver to stop one time with a blown out rear wheel, I was sitting near the wheel arch and could hear a loud banging noise, at first he refused to stop after being asked to stop a few times, my Thai wife not one to be meddled with, pulled his earphones out ''STOP the bus ! '' he did. This was on the way to Trat.