Watch Battery Replacement

Sqoop

Changing a standard watch battery on a standard quartz watch is an easy task.  Any regular booth that services watches should be able to handle it.  HOWEVER, some watches are more complex. 

For example it may be a special long-life battery or a solar charged battery, or has two batteries, or requires a special process on changing the battery to ensure the brain isn't cooked.

Can you name the brand and model of the watch and maybe we can figure it out.  There's probably a good reason why they want to send it away.

Edited by Gsxrnz

It's a Tisso prs200 , I think they worry about the waterproof membrane but that wasn't replaced the last couple of times. Single battery, ran out ages ago. Just want to get it replaced so that I can use it again. 

It's a simple process, at one point back in NZ I had the four prong opener. I have replaced the battery myself. But no tools here. 

14 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

It's a Tisso prs200 , I think they worry about the waterproof membrane but that wasn't replaced the last couple of times. Single battery, ran out ages ago. Just want to get it replaced so that I can use it again. 

It's a simple process, at one point back in NZ I had the four prong opener. I have replaced the battery myself. But no tools here. 

Ok - that model should be easy as nothing special about it.

I can recommend two places.  First is the Watchmaker on the short stretch of road between Pattaya Beach Road (at the entrance to Walking Street) and Second Road.  A decent watchmaker and he'll have a supply of gaskets and batteries etc.

Second is Mr. Wong at the back of the Pattaya Tai food market.  Hard to describe the precise location but just go into the main area and he's towards the rear of the area.  There are two watchmakers there - can't remember the name of the other one.

I've had watches serviced by all of them, including a 3-register Valjoux chronograph and some dive watches.  Mr Wong was excellent, as was the one close to Walking Street.

Edit:  By the way  - I'm a Kiwi and I've got a watch opener - happy to lend it to you for the price of a beer.

Further Edit:  Just remembered another one.  About 80 metres West of Tuk Com on Pattaya Tai.  A decent shop and had a battery or two done there.  

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

Reminds me of a scam when i first came to Pattaya. My watch stopped and i naturally assumed it was a dead battery. I took it to one of the shops mentioned above. The guy in the shop said the battery is Ok but it needs a new part cost 3000 baht. I was suspicious so didn't let him repair the watch. I took it somewhere else and the guy there said the watch had been deliberately broken and showed me where. He repaired it for 2000 baht.

But if they don't send away, how else can they swap out the inside parts for fakes?

I agree with others that said Soi Buakow & Pattaya Klang intersection. They're good and honest at what they do.

• Like 2

Mr Wong used to have a lot of customers, fixed a lot of watches. With the Wat Chai market closed here is a way to get to Mr. Wong. From Pattaya Tai, take Soi Hollywood one block to Soi 16. Turn right, toward the beach, and walk down until you come to the market. Go inside the building, turn right, 15 yards in - there he is,

Mr Jack second watch shop down on the right from Soi Buakow & Pattaya Klang intersection.

He has got replacement parts for my Brightling and at a fraction of the cost of the official shops in Bangkok (no you cannot get fake part for Brightling). He can fix anything.

He will provide all proof of the part and give you the part he replaced.

Replacement battery 110 baht regardless of make.

Exception was my Seiko Kinetic, 15 years old which required a replacement accumulator, like a battery but more expensive.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oink said:

Mr Jack second watch shop down on the right from Soi Buakow & Pattaya Klang intersection.

This shop comes up a lot on these threads.  I have seen their window display, but never been inside.  Can they pressure test watches?

On 12/18/2021 at 8:20 AM, Gsxrnz said:

Changing a standard watch battery on a standard quartz watch is an easy task.  Any regular booth that services watches should be able to handle it.  HOWEVER, some watches are more complex. 

For example it may be a special long-life battery or a solar charged battery, or has two batteries, or requires a special process on changing the battery to ensure the brain isn't cooked.

Can you name the brand and model of the watch and maybe we can figure it out.  There's probably a good reason why they want to send it away.

As you know more about watch batteries, would you happen to have any idea what is needed on and 20yr old citizen eco-drive that does not really last at all if not in sun all times? 

Have not opened or taken anywhere as not used much in these smartphone times, however should have it fixed just in case. But does it require some special battery or tools?

12 hours ago, Oink said:

Exception was my Seiko Kinetic, 15 years old which required a replacement accumulator, like a battery but more expensive.

yes I had a similar issue but even older and complete new innards - 6k baht...........

I used to believe he was very good so I also bought a Omega copy off him at the same time but had nothing but problems with it since - though to be fair he has fixed them all FOC.

Last time I got a new batteries for the gf's watches I used next door.......

12 hours ago, mran66 said:

As you know more about watch batteries, would you happen to have any idea what is needed on and 20yr old citizen eco-drive that does not really last at all if not in sun all times? 

Have not opened or taken anywhere as not used much in these smartphone times, however should have it fixed just in case. But does it require some special battery or tools?

The battery can be replaced but probably not by the dude in the kiosk on the corner.  They are lithium ion rechargeable batteries.  Try one of the larger shops mentioned earlier in the thread - I'm sure they must have come across the eco-drives in the past as they have been around since the mid 90's.

You could probably google your model and get the correct replacement battery from Amazon, Ebay, or Lazada.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, law ling said:

Indeed (and from the little I know on the subject), some watches, like mine (a Tag), need a special tool to open (and I believe, a special process to vacuum close it) ... and I always had to go to their single service center in Bangkok.

Yes, I do too. Stayed over in a hotel and made a trip out of it.