riding motorcycle without license (in a rural setting)

BananaBandit

On 12/19/2021 at 2:07 AM, Airalee said:

when they began targeting white faced foreigners

If you are wearing a full helmet as is the clever thing to do, the cops will never see your white face.  LOL

Or if you are a Thia girl who has been applying the cream.

Edited by KannikaP

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Thats what CTPL is for why do you not know this.

So a life is worth Bht 300,000 max.

And of course, CTPL must be paid for.

Do those without insurance care about that. They cannot register their bike without so they don't bother with either.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

The rhyme, that comes to mind is: if you cannot afford the fine do not commit the crime. Here is your out … her car is not insured for you as a driver … would that work? I do not face the same issue as I enjoy driving and find the wife’s driving overly concerned with driving too slowly …

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 10:22 PM, CharlieH said:

Carry whatever licence you have and show it, most wont even know !

Unfortunately when I was stopped driving my pick-up, the Highway Policeman understood English and fined me 1,000 baht for driving on a UK driving license. Through contacts I got my first Thai driving license and the latest extension of this is valid for driving here in Cambodia.

On 12/18/2021 at 3:19 PM, BananaBandit said:

I don't want a TH (or intl.) driver's license, because if I ever got one, my wife would insist that I drive her car some of the time. 

You are clearly not aware that a Thai bike licence is just that. It doesn't cover you to drive a car. Cars and bikes have separate licences in Thailand so you won't have the problem with your wife that you fear. Just get a licence.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Just get a licence.

I must have been having an off day because I failed the stupid multiple choice test for my 'separate' bike license when I went to renew my car license. My wife asked me if I want to re-book, I came to the conclusion "phuket" because I'd been riding bikes in Thailand for decades, like anyone gives a hoot about the license anyway. I stopped riding bikes on public roads a long time ago anyway. Two wheels are for losers and middle aged men with midlife crisis big bike death wish.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Haha 1

It used to be that , if you were currently licenced in your home country, (such as in Aus) you were ok to go here.

I believe it was changed a couple of years ago and now one requires an international licence.

Same rules apply though re-you must have that current licence in your home country.

Not difficult or all that much of a layout for peace of mind and cover from any insurance policy you have.

I think the Aus one is around $40 for 12 months.

I would not take a chance on not having it, this is Thailand and when it comes to an accident, you need to be in the "right" as much as you possibly can.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I must have been having an off day because I failed the stupid multiple choice test for my 'separate' bike license when I went to renew my car license. My wife asked me if I want to re-book, I came to the conclusion "phuket" because I'd been riding bikes in Thailand for decades, like anyone gives a hoot about the license anyway. I stopped riding bikes on public roads a long time ago anyway. Two wheels are for losers and middle aged men with midlife crisis big bike death wish.

I must have been having a midlife crisis for 50 years then. Last time I looked I was very much alive, and I don't seem to have lost anything. I also do 'give a hoot' about having a licence. a). because the law says you should have one and b). because I don't want to be paying for the rest of my life if I kill someone and my insurers refuse to pay because I don't have a licence.  I got both my bike and car licences within 30 minutes, no multiple choice questions just an eye test and a reaction test because I had the required UK licences. Neither have I ever had to pay 'plod' on the many times I've been hauled over at the numerous check points I come across.

My bike is my transport in Thailand, when I need a car I rent one.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

I ride around the local villages on a scooter and have done for more than 10 years, no license but have a car one, there are no check points only on the main road into town so I use the car.

Most of my local trips are across the paddies on non asphalt surfaces, your more likely to meet a buffalo than a policeman.

The police only come to the village if they are called for a serious offence having taken place.

The nearest Police station is 14 Kms away.

• Like 1

A recently lowered 200bt fine for not having a licence? ABSOLUTE SHEER STUPIDITY! The fine should 10,000bt for a first offence, doubling for every subsequent offence.

Why would anyone want to go through all the difficult and time consuming procedure of obtaining a licence when the risk of getting caught without a licence is so low, and at worst it will cost you 200bt!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

When I lived in Nakhon Nowhere about an hour outside of Kanchanaburi City, I drove our motorbike all the time without a motorcycle license. Most days right past the little police station and never even saw any BIB. I do have a Thai automobile license but no motorcycle license. Think the fine is 200 baht or maybe 500 baht but never worried about it. Doubtful you should worry much about it either. Do recommend having insurance covering all drivers and riders.

...tell me then...why do they issue licences in countries...just have a little guess.

On 12/18/2021 at 10:19 PM, BananaBandit said:

That said, if the worst that can happen is like a 500 baht fine or something, then I'll probably be willing to risk it.

No the worst that can happen is that driving uninsured aka no licence you could end up paying someone's huge hospital bill if involved in an accident, paying out millions of baht.  Your wife can not insist you drive her car as there are separate licences for cars and M/C in Thailand you need both.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

... Two wheels are for losers and middle aged men with midlife crisis big bike death wish.

Isaan farm girls dig guys riding shiny big 150cc bikes with lights and mirrors and all that stuff. 

Racing bikes are even better.

image.jpeg.cdd593ca7d5ac191cc87b4bafb1d18c0.jpeg

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1