NatWest blocked credit card in Thailand, yet again. What are my options?

My bank has the option to advise them when I am travelling internationally, when and where. 

Perhaps you have this option also inside your online banking account.

Also important to ensure the contact phone is correct for the travel period, so the security team can contact you.

I had this problem years ago with Nationwide. I got so sick of it I called them and told them if they do it again I'll transfer all my money to another account. It fell up on deaf ears and it happened again so I transferred all my money out of Nationwide and put it in Halifax. Sent them an online message through their system and got some reply from a clerk saying my complained would go higher up the chain of command. Then some manager messaged me apologising and all this would be fine on the next transaction. So on the next transaction it, yes you guessed it, it got declined. I called them up and went nuts with them. However I was talking to an Indian call centre and the clown on the other end could hardly speak English so at this point my blood was boiling and ready to behead someone. Put the phone down and sent another online message ranting on about the call centre staff cant speak English and Nationwide is an English building society and I expect to speak to English people when I call. Checked my messages a day later and behold there was a message saying that they have confirmed my credit card had been cancelled as requested and a new card will be sent out. <deleted>! The thick Indian call centre clown had cancelled my card as they couldn't even understand what I was talking about. So back on the online messaging with another complaint and I got a reply saying they would credit my account with £50 as a good will gesture for the inconvenience. 

These days I don't seem to have this problem anymore as transactions need verifying with the Nationwide app and they work fine now. 

You could try Nationwide or open a Starling bank account as you already have Wise. Starling is similar to Wise and very good for overseas transactions. 

• Haha 1

Try CITI Bank for a Credit Card.

I recently got one from them. No work permit required … no money required to be locked away and they will auto take each month the full amount from my Bangkok Bank account.

Promotion until 31st.

I to am a NatWest customer and have also had cc blocks only difference I was buying on line for products from the USA it’s called  making sure your secure I just call them on Skype using the 0800 number and it’s sorted in 5 minutes I recently made a very large purchase and gave them a call prior to ensure the sale went through had no issues 

I had the same problem when I used my Chase Bank credit card (USA). Even after I told them I was in Thailand. A friend suggested I obtain an International Credit Card, so I did. And now I have no issues at all. I don't even have to inform them that I am not in my home country. I have been using the card for over four years now. 

I use  a Halifax credit card in Thailand and it seems to work OK. But i mainly use it just for on line purchases, hotels, airfares etc. I tried to get a Krungsri credit card but was refused, even with a deposit equal to the credit limit. The only problem without a credit card is hiring cars who insist on a credit card when you rent it.

On 12/19/2021 at 2:42 PM, soi3eddie said:

As you've already got a Wise account why not get the Wise debit card and benefit from the best rates too? I use Wise to pay online (and in person) in Thailand and they have never blocked a single transaction. They often send a notification to the Wise app on my phone asking if I approve the transaction. Ordinary UK banks and building societies are dinosaurs in this global world. I know they need to protect from fraud but 2FA is easy and works well.

Totally agree, I have found the Wise card extremely useful.

On 12/19/2021 at 2:40 PM, BritManToo said:

They'd be lying, they are blocking it to protect their money.

In the UK customers are not responsible for fraudulent transactions.

Similar thing with those notices you get in hotel rooms to 'save the environment' by not having your sheets or towels changed. I stayed at a hotel in Tokyo that, if you did that, gave you a credit of, I think, $10 a day to use anywhere in the hotel. So the real reason for the notice is to save hotels money.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 3:16 PM, RickBlaine said:

Yes, that's an option. I'm still reading up on it. Did you have to load the Wise app with your mobile in your home country? That's a restriction some of the banks are using (With Natwest it's UK or a short list of allowed countries, Thailand excluded). It's a pain if you're already in Thailand of course. 

I did my Wise card in Thailand and had it delivered to my son in the UK, you need a UK address as the card is only available in certain countries and Thailand is not one of them. Applying for the card can be a bit tricky, you have to do a selfie for identification and a photo of the passport with your phone while on the computer. I had a problem with reflection on the passport and nearly failed, you only get so many attempts.

Transferring money to the account is not a problem, it is UK bank to UK bank. I then created balances in Euro, USD and Thai baht for various internet transactions.

My son went to the ATM to activate the card, not a problem, I then used it online until I had physical possession.

One of the benefits is whenever there is a transaction you get an immediate text message so you know instantly how much has been charged, or if you had dropped the card someone was using it contactless.

I've had several problems over the years with my HSBC ATM card and Barclaycard Visa card. The HSBC card would be refused in Dubai, even though I used it there at the same time every year over many, many years. Obviously they can't be bothered to check a card's usage record. Visa used to have a method of informing them on-line that your card would be used in an unfamiliar location, where and between what dates, and so that avoided any blocks. That has now gone.

Also, Visa refuses to send renewal cards to Thailand, while HSBC and Amex do.

I use a Thai debit and credit card here in Thailand, both from BKK Bank.

never had any problems.

recently booked a return flight to the UK with Qatar and used my Thai card.

I canceled and had a refund voucher for up to a year, for the same value!

I only use my UK Nat West debit card in the UK or transferring money for grandkids presents or to use Wise for my monthly expenses.

only problem is that NatWest won’t post cards when they expired. I usually have it posted to my daughter in the UK and she sends it to me.

their customer care is based in India and don’t know about cards not being sent to Thailand! So I got the run around a few times!

Apply for a Halifax CLARITY credit card. Ive used it for years. Easy to obtain and no charges for oversees purchases or ATM cash withdrawals. Never had a transaction blocked. Nat West charges for foreign transactions are one of the highest in the UK. So you need to ditch it anyway:

https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/travel.html

Pleased NatWest is taking an active role in blocking suspicious transactions. I stupidly tried to 'win' a iPhone on a scam website for 1 dollar and they blocked it and the several repeat attempts that followed. Also I successfully disputed an imported item which trebled in price by the time Thai Customs and DHL had finished gouging. 

More power to NatWest and MasterCard!

And yes I do use NatWest MasterCard in Thailand as it protects me from on line scams.

On 12/19/2021 at 4:53 AM, JustAnotherHun said:

Don't you have a two factor authentification with your GB credit cards?

I never had problems with my German Master- and Visacards.

I make my purchase and confirm with an app on my mobile.

They are starting to do that in the UK now

I wouldn't advise using your debit card generally. If it gets skimmed you could lose all the money in your account.

If you use the app, there should be somewhere in it where you can notify the bank you are holidaying in Thailand.

Edited by Chris.B

4 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

I wouldn't advise using your debit card generally. If it gets skimmed you could lose all the money in your account.

If you use the app, there should be somewhere in it where you can notify the bank you are holidaying in Thailand.

These days banks don't even need informing. The SOP is to use the card for a balance check in an ATM and this informs them the user is abroad.  But anyway online transactions can still get blocked.

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Depending on the network you use here.

It has nothing to do with the network. My German simcard usually is switched off here. The push service is connected to your mobile, not to the network you use.

I know there are SMS solutions too, but I had some troubles with them ny not recieving the message. With push it works perfectly.

1 minute ago, JustAnotherHun said:

It has nothing to do with the network. My German simcard usually is switched off here. The push service is connected to your mobile, not to the network you use.

I know there are SMS solutions too, but I had some troubles with them ny not recieving the message. With push it works perfectly.

The view on the thread about SMS Bank problems was it was network dependent with TRUE not working but AIS working fine. However, I use my card reader for TFA. If push technology is the solution How do I activate my phone or the bank to 'push' the TFA messages to me?

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

If push technology is the solution How do I activate my phone or the bank to 'push' the TFA messages to me?

Can't help you on this, sorry. I had to install different apps for each card-related bank, then they unlocked it. I use it since for all my internet banking and internet payments with creditcards.

I don't know where you're from and if this is offered by banks in your country yet. In Germany it becomes standard.

Edited by JustAnotherHun

1 minute ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Can't help you on this, sorry. I had to install different apps for each card-related bank, then they unlocked it. I use it since for all my internet banking and internet payments with creditcards.

I don't know where you're from and if this is offered by banks in your country yet. In Germany it becomes standard.

I use UK banks and apps but could you clarify what you mean by push technology? In what way does it manifest itself.

10 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I use UK banks and apps but could you clarify what you mean by push technology? In what way does it manifest itself.

I'm not deep into that. What I can tell is that you get a special app from your bank. You register your mobile there, then it has to be unlocked by your bank, then you get a one-time-code (delivered by mail, not email) for confirmation .

From then on you get push messages to confirm any card-payment or bank transfer. You don't even have to have a simcard inserted, your mobile has just to be switched on.

The only problem might be if you lose your mobile or it's demaged. Then you have to start the registration process again. To avoid that I registered 2 devices, but not each bank allows that.

Edited by JustAnotherHun

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I'm not deep into that. What I can tell is that you get a special app from your bank. You register your mobile there, then it has to be unlocked by your bank, then you get a one-time-code (delivered by mail, not email) for confirmation .

From then on you get push messages to confirm any card-payment or bank transfer. You don't even have to have a simcard inserted, your mobile has just to be switched on.

Ah I see. Google uses a version to confirm log on. Ta