retirees - what do you have to look forward to?

1FinickyOne

On 12/19/2021 at 5:17 PM, RocketDog said:

... at a place you don't want to be, with people you don't want to see,

I can understand that, 

Unfortunately, many are stuck in a less than desirable job or occupation by necessity.

But if you can find something you enjoy then it's no longer work, it's just how you spend your day.

I do not plan on retiring until I can no longer perform work requirements, physically or mentally.

I love what I do and I vacation often.

Actually I dread the day when I'll be walking around in my bathrobe all day, looking out the window, with the mind-numbing drone of a TV in the background,

rather die on the job.

Edited by cobra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, cobra said:

I can understand that, 

Unfortunately, many are stuck in a less than desirable job or occupation by necessity.

But if you can find something you enjoy then it's no longer work, it's just how you spend your day.

I do not plan on retiring until I can no longer perform work requirements, physically or mentally.

Actually I dread the day when I'll be walking around in my bathrobe all day, looking out the window, with the mind-numbing drone of a TV in the background,

rather die on the job.

Every job I did was great for the first 6-12 months, then it became a chore.

I like looking out the window at my rabbits in the garden and the Buffalo/Uwa in the field behind me.

I like watching tv, and posting on forums.

I like cooking for me and my boy and getting quietly drunk every day.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I like looking out the window at my rabbits

yeah, whats the deal with the rabbits? Soft to pet, sure. Any personality? Do you keep them in cages? Do they recognize you?

I have a 2 yr old living here now - I'm sure she would get off on it... but what do I need to know? 

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

yeah, whats the deal with the rabbits? Soft to pet, sure. Any personality? Do you keep them in cages? Do they recognize you?

I have a 2 yr old living here now - I'm sure she would get off on it... but what do I need to know? 

Mine live free, fenced garden, outside at night, and the house doors open in the day.

They love biting through electrical cable, phone charger cables and fibre optic cables.

They also tore the bottom out of my sofa so they could sit underneath it.

Fairly easy to house train, but they will climb on everything.

IMG_20210218_214855 (1).jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

They breed fast ????

• Haha 1

My ever cheerful wife always taking care of me...12 years ♥️

Well, used to look forward to teaching but last two years just dreadful.

Our international trips and especially US cut out.

We still spend a month here each year (below).

Things will change again when I hit 62 SS and stop teaching - enter second retirement.

Maybe buy a truck or car and move south.

Don't think about covid just go about your life!

IMG20211224103644.jpg

IMG20211227113006.jpg

Edited by TheScience
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Over my garden wall yesterday morning.

yeah, plenty of cows out in the fields... eating cables does not sound good but I could pen them in outside - not sure if it would drive the 2 dogs crazy?? It is not a huge leap for one of them anyway. 

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Mine live free, fenced garden, outside at night, and the house doors open in the day.

They love biting through electrical cable, phone charger cables and fibre optic cables.

They also tore the bottom out of my sofa so they could sit underneath it.

Fairly easy to house train, but they will climb on everything.

IMG_20210218_214855 (1).jpg

poetic toes? Longfellows? 

12 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Pets for food. Not uncommon in rural America. They eat kitchen waste and make good eating.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, TheScience said:

Things will change again when I hit 62 SS and stop teaching - enter second retirement.

IMG20211224103644.jpg

IMG20211227113006.jpg

What beach is that?

On 1/5/2022 at 6:25 AM, cobra said:

I can understand that, 

rather die on the job.

I would really like a  full description of the  activities involved in your "vacation" time. The image invoked by  "bathrobe,  humming tv , looking out the window" is of  a person in a air conditioned Unit" of some description taking prescribed time out in a prescribed way from a prescription corporate involved occupation/profession that ticks all the boxes of "success".

Close or not?

Reading threads like this one, hearing the thoughts of those in the chapter of life called "retirement" that I only recently opened myself.   Learning from them about:

- Things they have done, some of which I've also done but most I haven't yet.

- Roads they've traveled, some of which I've also traveled but most of which I haven't yet.

- Choices and decisions they've made and how they've played out, some of which parallel my own path, and some of which don't.  At least not yet.

-  How they look at things, their opinions on a whole range of topics of interest to them, some of which I agree with, some of which I don't, and many of which aren't within my own spere of interest yet.

Mostly learning more and more about all of the different ways that this life chapter called retirement can be such a long and joyful (even wondrous) chapter, for any of us, if we keep our perspective and choose to engage in habits, experiences, relationships and open-minded reflection that those retirees who are ahead of us on their own path take time to share here.  Or the happy ones anyway. 

Edited by ChrisP24
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 7:46 PM, TheScience said:

IMG20211224103644.jpg

IMG20211227113006.jpg

By South do you mean Southern Thailand or the Southern States of the USA.? 

• 4 weeks later...