Thailand may cancel Test & Go due to Omicron: Anutin

webfact

9 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Professor Karl Friston, a virus modeller at University College London, warns that “a protracted wave of long Covid is inevitable” and conservatively estimates new long Covid cases will hit 862 a day by Christmas.

The professor say's it's inevitable.

Another TVF epidemiologist who chooses the scientists and data he wants.

You asked for a link and i provided one.

Your deflection is disappointing but not unexpected.

"Another TVF epidemiologist who chooses the scientists and data he wants"

With respect, you're the one who dug out an obscure publication with some modelling to fit your narrative. 

There is mounting evidence that the Omicron variant causes only mild illness. There is no hard evidence (yet) that Omicron causes Long Covid.

I do wonder why some people seem desperate to turn good news into bad. 

• Thanks 1

Just curious what happened to this headline from a day; or, two ago "Covid no match for Thailand, govt has enough vaccines: Anutin"? My reply to that story, Omicron's response ...."hold my beer".   Don't drop that beer sir you're going to be holding it for a long time  . 

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You & me both (I'm Jan 2)

And us on the 6th...already in talks with my credit card company to see what can be claimed back, and so far they will refund all flights, but not sure where we stand with the hotel booking, pre departure pcr test and AXA Thailand insurance. I also have a UK based policy but they will not refund if we cancel because of a quarantine extension. Fingers crossed they keep the T&G for double vaccinated and boosted individuals.

Guemlum

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I guess their are reasons but all the "I have not seen my family for 2 years" folks why not?  I know plenty who have come.

Original quarantine, how long has the Phuket sandbox been around?  And then with reduced quarantine?  Now the TP is going on 2 months.

Noone is probably ever going to waltz into this country on Visa exempt again.  Plenty of opportunities so what is the issue; I don't want to do this or that or follow the protocols?

Many have financial reasons as a reason with the flights and then the extensive quarantine as well as a possible hospitalization when they only have a 3 months period of time before returning to work.  I know a few oil guys that have come and gone, one who actually came, and had covid, was hospitalized and then when released had to go back to work, total waste of his time and money.

Just now, VBF said:

So, in other words, no change!  those of us with brains continue to get vaccinated  and boosted as necessary, sadly, old people are more at risk of dyeing, so they need special care . not the whole bloody world!!!! 

Old people yes, as do those with HIV, asthma, cancer, diabetes, liver diseases, heart conditions, TB,  among numerous others.

• Like 1

Just now, CG1 Blue said:

"Another TVF epidemiologist who chooses the scientists and data he wants"

With respect, you're the one who dug out an obscure publication with some modelling to fit your narrative. 

There is mounting evidence that the Omicron variant causes only mild illness. There is no hard evidence (yet) that Omicron causes Long Covid.

I do wonder why some people seem desperate to turn good news into bad. 

Obscure?

Professor at University College, London?

You would be better quitting while your behind.

Governments tightening restrictions all over the world because omicron is so harmless?

Netherlands going into lockdown until mid January.

Why?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Guemlum said:

And us on the 6th...already in talks with my credit card company to see what can be claimed back, and so far they will refund all flights, but not sure where we stand with the hotel booking, pre departure pcr test and AXA Thailand insurance. I also have a UK based policy but they will not refund if we cancel because of a quarantine extension. Fingers crossed they keep the T&G for double vaccinated and boosted individuals.

Guemlum

Same, flight was easy to change on Singapore Airlines even though I want to cancel which would cost me A$160 (so just changed to a random date). Rest of costs of 'Welcome to amazing Thailand' likely written off

35 minutes ago, eppic said:

Can anyone recall how much notice (if any) was provided previously when flip-flopping from 10 day back to 14 day quarantine or other similar changes?  We are scheduled to arrive on the 27th

I'm due to arrive on 24th. (departing UK 23rd).  I'm hoping that they can't make the change that fast, or that they may honour existing TPs.  I could depart a day earlier but that is a big hassle. If I knew it would make the difference then I would, but who knows. A 7 day quarantine wouldn't be so bad, but I'd be annoyed at 10 or 14.

Edited by Tuvoc

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

It would but that would also probably be a world first, I know the UK provides excellent reports but that may be asking a little too much

If they can publish deaths, infections and hospitalisations daily, I wouldn't have thought another couple of tick boxes would be so difficult.

Hey Covid Doctors, they actually made a thread for you internet experts to discuss all your <deleted>

https://aseannow.com/forum/245-covid-19-coronavirus/

how about take all your super knowledge on the latest varient  there while we real people work out how much money we will lose from this suden change of political policy 

• Haha 1

Looks like I will no longer have to endure the pain of trying to find a decent flight schedule at a decent cost for sometime in January. If they are going back to a minimum 7 day quarantine then I am definitely not going to waste my time and money to get to Thailand for a few months. That's 2 winters now missed out. Makes me wonder what next year will bring. ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Hope this explains it to the "it's mild" brigade.

I don't think its mild, neither do I think its serious, we simply don't know yet but to repeat, what will closing the borders or imposing quarantine achieve?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I repeat, this variant will spread in Thailand whatever they do but any further restrictions now will simply kill off much of what is left of the Thai tourist industry. What will be achieved by any further measures? Buy a few weeks?

Exactly! Small brains at work, again and always......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Oracle2022 said:

The issue for Thailand and indeed, many Asian countries is that South Africa did not use SINO vaccines.  Europe and UK did not use SINO vaccines.

So whilst it seems Omicron is "mild" in Pfizer, Moderna and AZ vaccinated people - we dont know yet how SINO vaccinated people will get on.

That exposes Thai authorities to "risk".........dont do enough and find Omicron is more severe in SINO jabbed people and then its a big big problem.

So they should Errrrr on the side of caution...........

... as indeed, Sinovac seems to be even more useless against this new variant: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-12-doses-bnt162b2-biontech-coronavac-sinovac.html

Researchers at the Department of Microbiology of the University of Hong Kong (HKU) have found that most individuals after given two doses of the vaccine (either BioNtech or Coronavac) do not produce sufficient levels of serum antibodies against the new Omicron virus variant. The public is advised to get a third dose of the vaccine as soon as possible while awaiting for the next generation of more matched vaccine. The results of the study have been accepted for publication in the medical journal Clinical Infectious Diseases.

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I struggle to think of anywhere in the world that doesn't have its own attractions that don't match or exceed those in Thailand, and many will enjoy what their own country or continent has to offer for less cost.

Yes well, I live in Thailand but due to its laws, I work elsewhere.  Much like others, I have pressing reasons to get back to my home.  How would you have dealt with all the 'normal' issues that crop up from time to time?  People all have different reasons but mine are family, home and dealing with an insurance company that's trying to gey out of paying for a recent break-in.  Try doing that from 10,000 km away with a 7 hour time difference.

If you're already in Thailand or have no pressing need to visit, its easy to have that kind of attitude.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, worldexpress said:

When I see that face, I automatically go into a laughter but not this time. ????????

Fudge! This is not good. After failing to get on a plane on 11/1 because the COE never came, my excitement to get TP earlier today lasted exactly about 12 hours when I read this. If they scrap test&go, I'd likely throw in the towel and head to the border to get me a fine Latina who can make me Tacos.

What do you want to get in Thailand that you can't get in Mexico?

I suggest you stay put, you might be stuck in Thailand if there is another lockdown.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I also know plenty of people at risk through no fault as their own who would prefer to lead their life as everyone else does. 

Well, actually, nothing's stopping them - it depends how much of a risk one wishes to take.

My acquaintance  takes the view that behaving like he's at risk is so boring that it's worth taking a chance on dropping dead earlier than he might otherwise have done. 

There is a poster on this forum with the signature something like "Nothing's worth giving up for 3 more months in the geriatric ward"  My acquaintance  and I both agree with that! 

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

If they can publish deaths, infections and hospitalisations daily, I wouldn't have thought another couple of tick boxes would be so difficult.

Well you said why did the UK not publish vaccination status of deaths, serious cases, I pointed out to you that they did, now you want a live version and think its as easy as a tick box which would need to be for every individual death, published daily. Ok it would be tremendous I agree, but as I said, a world first no other country manages to do this and the UK feels its enough to publish this monthly.

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

That's about as daft as saying all road travel should be banned because someone died on the road due to refusing to wear a cycling helmet !

Average age of death in the UK is 82, average covid death is 83 ! Dear God, we all have to die of something when we get over 82 ! The 70 year old guy probably also shot himself in the foot by reducing his immune system by becoming a recluse

ah so he was also below the average age of a normal covid death, thanks and since when did road travel come into the equation?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1