Thailand may cancel Test & Go due to Omicron: Anutin

webfact

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

That's about as daft as saying all road travel should be banned because someone died on the road due to refusing to wear a cycling helmet !

Average age of death in the UK is 82, average covid death is 83 ! Dear God, we all have to die of something when we get over 82 ! The 70 year old guy probably also shot himself in the foot by reducing his immune system by becoming a recluse

Spot on ????????????????????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, VBF said:

Well, actually, nothing's stopping them - it depends how much of a risk one wishes to take.

My acquaintance  takes the view that behaving like he's at risk is so boring that it's worth taking a chance on dropping dead earlier than he might otherwise have done. 

There is a poster on this forum with the signature something like "Nothing's worth giving up for 3 more months in the geriatric ward"  My acquaintance  and I both agree with that! 

Good for him, others who are at risk have children and dependents that rely on them and would prefer not to die

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Good for him, others who are at risk have children and dependents that rely on them and would prefer not to die

Indeed...... they may take that path if they wish.

I'm confused that you seem to be disagreeing with me on this.  What is there to disagree on?   

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Just now, VBF said:

Indeed...... they may take that path if they wish. What is there to disagree on?

Nothing aside from the fact that those I referred to are more at risk through the environment they live in where they cannot isolate even if they wanted to. Those with families and children still want/need to be close to them, however there children and other family members may put them at risk but they cannot also isolate.

We are all in this together is what I'm saying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I reckon they'll give about 48 hours grace to allow people already travelling to enter the country under existing rules and then revert to quarantine sandbox style of entry

Its certainly not going to be a month !

Notwithstanding that Brits coming back into the UK could face quarantine very quickly as well it appears so add £2000 to the cost of a trip

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Nothing aside from the fact that those I referred to are more at risk through the environment they live in where they cannot isolate even if they wanted to. Those with families and children still want/need to be close to them, however there children and other family members may put them at risk but they cannot also isolate.

We are all in this together is what I'm saying.

That's good - I read and re-read your posts and thought i was missing something - seemingly not!

We are all in this together, but to mix metaphors, I'm afraid that there is no "one size fits all" solution

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spetersen said:

And how many do you think die of influenza every year ? , Thousands...

And how many die testicle cancer every year!? How many die bla bla bla..... 12 so far in Uk die coz omicron.... and counting. How many patient in hospital or in ICU because omicron that the question!?

How many "normal" surgical operation have to move forward because every place is filled whit omicron patient's! Also how many die because covid after 1 month they find covid!? Now have been 1 month since they find omicron!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Notwithstanding that Brits coming back into the UK could face quarantine very quickly as well it appears so add £2000 to the cost of a trip

Extremely unlikely, they only just removed the redlist and mandatory quarantine because it was pointless to keep it. Omicron is already here in big numbers. Just self-isolation now at your home (or somewhere else)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

man refusing a vaccine that may have stopped him dying is the same as the man dying riding into a tree not wearing a free cycling helmet in my opinion. 

Yet there's no proof of that, just a radio show phone in report, however if he did refuse a vaccine at 70 years and ended up dying of Omicron then I agree it serves him right but it also proves Omicron can be deadly in that age group which was my whole point if you go back to my original post.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

Just now, Tuvoc said:

God, I wish we knew that !!  I'm on tenderhooks.

Due to fly out late January, I know all the usual blah blah shouldnt make plans during a pandemic but its been years now, still doesn't avoid dissapointment. A holiday is well needed after nearly 2 years of constant negative <deleted> going on

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soyboy said:

Due to fly out late January, I know all the usual blah blah shouldnt make plans during a pandemic but its been years now, still doesn't avoid dissapointment. A holiday is well needed after nearly 2 years of constant negative <deleted> going on

Well, I'd guess that it will certainly be in place well before then. (and then potentially removed again before then!)

I'm due to fly out Thursday this week.  Can they act that fast ?  Depends on how the Test & Go was passed into law originally, and what legal steps would be necessary to cancel it,  as to how quickly they change could be made.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Well, I'd guess that it will certainly be in place well before then. (and then potentially removed again before then!)

I'm due to fly out Wednesday this week.  Can they act that fast ?  Depends on how the Test & Go was passed into law originally, and what legal steps would be necessary to cancel it,  as to how quickly they change could be made.

I have no idea to be honest but best of luck to you! 

10 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Given how transmissable Omicron is, it sounds like other passengers on the plane would have caught it from these arrivals.

Which means it's already here (unless they quarantined the whole plane including the crew).

Either way, it seems inevitable that Test & Go will be scrapped within the next few days. I'm glad I didn't go home for Christmas now...

Before Omnicron entered the country  stopping inbound travel as much as possible would seem to be a reasonable precaution but now I'm not so sure. In the UK they stopped travel from Africa straight away but opened up once it was clear that the variant was already fairly well established they opened up again.

Probably too late now exept possibly from particularly high risk countries where quarantine might help

Yes, I don't know. I think it might just be a rule or regulation implemented under over-arching legislation, so the change could be made immediately pretty much if so.

Edited by Tuvoc

Just now, CG1 Blue said:

And that must be hard for them no doubt. But do they want the rest of the people to stop living their lives just because they have to? My very elderly and vulnerable parents certainly don't. 

They don't have to stop their lives, why should they? 

They also don't want anyone to stop their lives, the last thing they want is for their own children to stop living normally, they want to be part of the community as everybody else is.

35 minutes ago, Lingba said:

Agree...everyone going into a panic making random decisions that make no sense and every country running into a different direction and whats funny is this new variant though more transmittable is alot less dangerous...Geez just live and move on

I'm not sure that is confirmed it's less dangerous. A lot can depend on which country, the age distribution and how long since the last spike in infections. Regardless of that the higher numbers involved due to the increased transmissibility can still overwhelm hospitals.

We will need live with it but time is needed to get a strategy in place to lessen it's effect. Vaccines will be a large part of that but that takes time and we may still need to take other precautions such as masks in enclosed spaces.

4 hours ago, LoVeFuN said:

I have Thai pass and go for 9th January and hotel for one night, will they change it so we have to quarantine and still allow entry. I suppose we have to wait and see.

I came on May 6 it was supposed to be three days quarantine four days in the motel and released,With only one days notice they changed it to 14 day quarantine

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

So for the sake of their children and all the other non-vulnerable people, would they be willing to simply protect themselves with self imposed restrictions so that everyone else can live with no restrictions? 

Anyway, I suppose we can just go round in circles on this. Good news is that the most vulnerable in the UK will have access to new anti-virus treatments now, and hopefully these will go global sooner rather than later: 

In a clinical trial, a single dose reduced the risk of hospitalisation and death by 79% in high risk adults

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59502745

How can they do that, even if they impose self restrictions, does that mean they cannot go near their children or family who are living normally, how would a mother or father hug their children, pick them up from school, tend to their everyday needs if they are young. Think about this a little..........

This is just one example there are many more where imposing self restrictions is impossible even if they wanted to.