Thailand suspends ‘Thailand Pass’ and ‘Test & Go’

Jonathan Fairfield

Im scheduled to arrive February 5th with Thailand Pass QR code in hand.  As a treat I brought my thai partner to the States for the holidays and was just able to get here signed up on Thailand Pass going back with me with about 3 hours before the midnight deadline.  I feel confident they will approve Thai Nationals if not I will send her back a week early to do quarantine (again) last time it was 2 weeks in the Summer of 2021.  I dont have a problem with the additonal 7 day PCR test I just hope they dont panic and cancel all existing Thailand Pass entrants (Current stance notwithstanding).  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, sleepn said:

did anyone of you get the thailand pass after 24:00 bkk time? I applied 5 hours ago. But nothing so far ????

I applied around the same time as you did so I'm interested to see if/when you get it. A bit early for any confirmation yet, but will share with you my result when it comes.

11 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Thought of you on this announcement. At least they’re honouring pending visits with t&g. Could be a lot worse for people. 

Could be worse indeed. This Line announcement is a rather close rendering of the announcement in Thai posted above by International. No difference whatsoever in content.

3 hours ago, Puccini said:

Yes, that is it, exactly. The health department has your phone number and Mo Chnaa tells them where you are and they will get in touch with you for the second PCR test. That's how I expect it to play out.

Another two weeks and we shall hear about from the first arrivals in January.

So i will need to keep my uk cell on

Thailand limits arrivals, with ‘Thailand Pass’ applications suspended over Omicron concerns

000_1WO0WZ.jpg

Passengers wearing face masks and a protective suit as a preventive measure against the COVID-19 coronavirus arriving at the departure terminal of Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok. (Photo by Romeo GACAD / AFP)

In a surprise and pre-emptive move, to stem the spread of the COVID-19 Omicron variant, Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), ordered a temporary and immediate suspension of the issuance of the “Thailand Passes” from today (Tuesday) until January 4th , 2022 and have imposed the seven-day quarantine requirement for those without a pass or outside of the Phuket sandbox program.

About 90,000 people who have applied for or have been granted the “Thailand Pass” but have yet to enter the country, can still enter the kingdom through the “Test and Go” scheme for fully vaccinated arrivals from 63 low-risk countries and territories until January 10th, 2022, with only minimal quarantine of about one day. A total of about 200,000 people have been granted the pass so far, with about 110,000 already in Thailand.

Those still coming to Thailand under the “Test and Go” scheme will now have to go through more intense checks, such as two RT-PCR tests, and will be closely monitored.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-limits-arrivals-with-thailand-pass-sandbox-partially-suspended-over-omicron-concerns/

Logo-top-.png
  • Haha 2

Sux for those still trying/wanting to return, but since I got back almost a year ago...far as I'm concerned shut the borders forever. Just OPEN and remain so INTERNALLY. 

Certainly those needing or wanting to return bad enough can go thru 15 night quarantine, same as many of us during the past 15 months. 

That will be the end of tourism for 2022 then . Can’t wait for the TAT mind boggling numbers coming to be spouted out in next few days ! 
Thought they might have waited until just after new year before pulling the plug , but guess not and this will surely finish off any bar / business that was hanging on by a thread hoping to be saved by some tourists coming . ????

Bad news for travellers is the 6th day PCR test at a Government facility.

I know many people who did not do the 6th day antigen test, they simply put the fluid in, took a photo and sent it off.  The swab never went near their nose.

Now, for those arriving, with a 6th PCR test you run the risk of catching Covid in Thailand during days 1 to 5 and then getting positive PCR on day 6 and then facing 14 days being locked up in a hospital.

I think many Test and Go people who have approval already, will now cancel and not want to risk the 2 weeks "hospiprison" if they get positive PCR test on the 6th day of their stay.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Oracle2022 said:

I think many Test and Go people who have approval already, will now cancel and not want to risk the 2 weeks "hospiprison" if they get positive PCR test on the 6th day of their stay.

Well if Richard Barrow is correct, some of us won't have to do the second PCR

Well, at least now they can blame omicron virus for poor tourist numbers instead of poor planning and governance.  Another high season with low numbers.  Oh, it was omicron virus fault, not ours with all the paperwork and rule changes every week that made tourist heads explode.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Flight diverted. Was going to Bangkok 13 Jan, now find I can go to Singapore from 15 Jan quarantine free instead of having to do 7 days locked in Phuket Sandbox

Easy decision

You can also go to North Korea, no covid at all.

Frankly, IMO 7 days in Singapore is worse than 7 days in Phuket sandbox, in Singapore you are really a hamster going from mall to mall, the sandbox doesn't "lock" you. But perhaps if you have never been to Singapore before it can be interesting.

Just now, Darksidedude said:

Thailand have to get on with it and live with it, shutting down the place all the time destroys it more than any pandemic.

I have to wonder whether the impact of having the test and go allowance, the soft bar openings, the prospects of a full opening January 15th, and now it is yanked from under their feet, is a fatal blow! I know one place that was making expensive efforts for January, and now it looks like visitors will no longer arrive. 

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Yet another knee-jerk reaction from the  government to show the hysterical Thai public they’re doing something

On the contrary, it shows a country that is being pro-active, one that say's you can come, but you will have to quarantine first.

After you have tested clear you are free to travel and mix nationwide.

• Thanks 2