Thailand suspends ‘Thailand Pass’ and ‘Test & Go’

Jonathan Fairfield

52 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Very interesting, looks like those of us that applied in advance like I did for a return in February are grandfathered in for the Test N Go

Yes, seems so at the moment, and also another good reason to get things done early and not wait until the last minute.

13 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Why only Phuket sandbox?

Must be something important about it.

Reluctant to cut all the income streams at once? 

Besides Bangkok, Phuket was 'the' destination for foreign tourists before the pandemic. And, as others have pointed out, traffic there is easily controllable.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Very interesting, looks like those of us that applied in advance like I did for a return in February are grandfathered in for the Test N Go.....keeping my fingers crossed it does not change before I fly out to the States after the new years and then return as I said.

This is actually not clear as some press releases mentioned a Jan 10 deadline for people already with approved TP to enter.  It is not mentioned on MoFA site though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JackGats said:

What does "those who have already registered" mean? I've just sneaked in a "registration" (got a "key code"). So the system is still up and running.

It means those whose Thailand Pass have already been approved before Dec 21

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, EricTh said:

So do you suggest all approved Thailand pass to be declared void?

Are the airlines going to refund the ticket etc?

No, with only 0.13% of Test & Go testing positive keep it going. But if they are going to say it's no longer safe to have Test & Go, then yes, it should be all voided or they are just making up non medical related rules as they go

Note: I've fully booked everything and will now lose everything as I changed my flight back 2 weeks and hadn't sorted the Thai Pass yet. 

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

The interesting - and worrying thing - will now be to see if airlines completely stop flying to thailand until after mid January since a lot of the bookings will be expected bookings over the next few weeks.

I've been using Qatar. One of a handful of airlines that have kept flying during the whole Covid period, and who have had a very flexible date change and refund policy. Of course they don't have routes from every country.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

I'm shocked such a  quick decision was taken.

Highly unusual for the regime.

Suspect they're seeing data that leads them to believe things will get very bad, worse than any previous waves.

Possibly.

Along perhaps with some very serious talking/pressure from those who have invested in the quarantine facilities?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I still don't trust this.  In my opinion it is still possible that they will require people to quarantine until the results of the second test are known.  It would not be the first time that government annoucements have contradicted each other.

So we have 5 hours to apply to be in the system.

2 PCR tests though 

32 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

So where is the medical reasoning behind this?

Someone who already got a Thai Pass for 10 Feb is deemed safe and can enter with just wait for PCR, while if someone applied today for 10 Feb they would have to do 7 days Sandbox in Phuket because they are deemed too risky to be out and about...

Madness

Yet strangely lucrative if you own a "sandbox hotel"...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jojothai said:

NO doubt there will have been a mad rush to get TP applications in now since the news. ????????????

only probably another hour to get an application in, Or will it be midnight?

Screenshot above says closed on 22 at 00.00 hours.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

I would think this should be bang on the money for those travelling.

Thanks for that, I hope it is correct but its not official and as you will know, anything can happen/change.  Very reassuring though.

• Like 1