Thailand suspends ‘Thailand Pass’ and ‘Test & Go’

Jonathan Fairfield

5 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Grandfathered in. ????

I've already been advised by the MIL to stay away from the moo ban, so the locals won't get scared.

Scared why? Because your a Hansum man and they worry you may steal their daughters hearts?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

‘Thailand Pass’ and ‘Test & Go’ schemes due to fears over the Omicron variant of COVID-19

Not only are we targeting high end, high spending tourists.

Now we will only attract those with high tolerance level for un-ending policy changes  & 7-10-14 day 'un' happy quarantine.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sezze said:

Damn , was already worrying that it might happen , but doesn't mean it still comes as a shock . I'm still on small hopes maybe to come in March , but i think i need to rethink again ... for the x amount of times again .

between now & march 2022, there are at least 12 opportunities to change rules

9 hours ago, gejohesch said:

Question for those who already have a TP. The official site (link above) quotes :

"4. Passengers who will arrive in Thailand under Test and Go and Sandbox Programme must undergo their 2nd COVID-19 test using the RT-PCR technique (not ATK self-test) at government-designated facilities (no additional cost)."

The question then is re. the second test: when and where? I'm arriving in 2 weeks in BKK and have planned to fly straight up-country the day after arrival (hoping of course that the first test will be negative). It the "where" question that is more burning, actually : I hope "the gvt designated facility" will be in the main city up-country where I'm going. Does anyone in this discussion know more about it?

I understand btw that Thailand want to screen more arrivals, no pbm with that given the circumstances. But I find the "government-designated facilities" rather vague...

Yes it is (vague).  Hopefully a sysyem will be developed that includes a piece of paper ypu can show at a government hospital to get a test -- as, in my province at least, rhe government hospital will not test on demand.

And they will need a system to track this and tecord results.

It is worth noting that they could have been getting 2nd test results on T&G people all along but no system to record and track results was ever put in place. Many posts on TV from people at a loss over what to do with the ATKs they were given (supposedly for day 5 use) as T&G hotels were telling them no  need to send in the results. While ATKs are not as sensitive as PCR they are much better than nothing (especially for detecting what would at that point be infections of 5-8 days standing) and had this part of the scheme been implemented the authorities would have a lot more information at hand than they now do.  What is undoubtedly making them nervous is the numbers who came in on  T&G, tested negative on arrival and then fanned out around the country with no follow up.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, mjakob007 said:

Not only are we targeting high end, high spending tourists.

Now we will only attract those with high tolerance level for un-ending policy changes  & 7-10-14 day 'un' happy quarantine.

The new Convenience store has now been created, its the 7-10-14 day store, where all your needs can be met and you can obtain the much needed solitude.  Maybe they will provide a free yoga mat and a prayer room so you can pray for your sanity while getting out your frustrations.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Yet another knee-jerk reaction from the  government to show the hysterical Thai public they’re doing something

Wonder  who has a "knee-jerk reaction" here. Highly ironical...

I'd say that their reaction makes perfect sense, in that closing borders now will delay the inevitable onslaught, allow more people to get boosters, prepare protocols for hospitals to handle crowds unheard of, etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

developed that includes a piece of paper ypu

12 minutes ago, mjakob007 said:

between now & march 2022, there are at least 12 opportunities to change rules

Historically though theThai govt is  much quicker to impose travel bans than to relax them.

Ban put in place in March 2020 did not really ease until November 2021 despite the fact that by April 2021  community transmission was rife and positivity rate was by then higher in the Thai population than found in quarantined foreign arrivals (i.e. by that point there was no longer much public health justification for the bans). 

15 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

What was this year's mass vaccination campaign for then ???? 

Overture, curtain, lights

This is it, the night of nights

No more rehearsing and nursing a part

We know every part by heart

Overture, curtain, lights

This is it, we'll hit the heights

And oh what heights we'll hit

On with the show this is it.

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes it is (vague).  Hopefully a sysyem will be developed that includes a piece of paper ypu can show at a government hospital to get a test -- as, in my province at least, rhe government hospital will not test on demand.

And they will need a system to track this and tecord results.

It is worth noting that they could have been getting 2nd test results on T&G people all along but no system to record and track results was ever put in place. Many posts on TV from people at a loss over what to do with the ATKs they were given (supposedly for day 5 use) as T&G hotels were telling them no  need to send in the results. While ATKs are not as sensitive as PCR they are much better than nothing (especially for detecting what would at that point be infections of 5-8 days standing) and had this part of the scheme been implemented the authorities would have a lot more information at hand than they now do.  What is undoubtedly making them nervous is the numbers who came in on  T&G, tested negative on arrival and then fanned out around the country with no follow up.

ATK's are only any good well after the infection takes place.

Friend of mine last week got PCR positive.

Next day checked ATK and it said negative.

Day after went back and retested PCR - positive again.

Checked again ATK - negative.

Day 3 after first PCR positive then ATK also said positive.

So basically if relying on ATK they are useless, you can be positive for up to 3 days (maybe 4) and still get negative ATK result.

• Thanks 1

so it's a 7 days phuket sandbox. Nothing bad.

Who had balls could apply yesterday before midnight for T&G. Some already got their pass, some will be coming within a week.

I did apply yesterday, giving hotel booking for an earlier trip. If they won't spot it, I will have a second pass as a back up or I might even use it after doing a proper hotel booking. They are exactly 1 month apart.

Those 90k already with passes and some minimum 22k applications made before the PM speech would be likely coming with a month or two.

Nice of them not cancelling all those passes and applications and allowing to make more thousands application yesterday.

It's a step back, expected in the face of omicron, but it's not a drama.

Some countries have not only almost banned all africa, but also the UK. 14 days hotel quarantine for those daring to fly now.

However, land travel within the EU is unhindered

Well, at least they are letting People that already have their TP's, ... and flights booked, and the 24hr Hotel and test booking required to get it, in.   ....

... Though the TP only lasts 3 days that have told me !!! ..... So SIA Cancels ADL to BKK ??? ..... Well then just move to the next available Flight !!! ???  ... and keep my Fingers crossed that my Pre Flight test come back in Negative !!! ... ( Well just at the moment just Post opening up around here, .... Lets hope that I do not Die in the que, waiting to be tested !!! ... and then it does COMES BACK !!!  in time ... )

... And I wonder what the requirements would be just to do the Extended Quarantine ??? ... After just a Brief look at the Thai Embassy site in Canberra it does not look to bad ! ... ? ... https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/ ...

... ??? Reviewed by 4th Jan ??? 

... If you already have a TP ... then You just have to take an extra PT-PCR test some time after the first one and it says for free at a government facility. ... ??? So it says ?

And you can rebook ? ... Well submit an application ? if you just apply for one using the required stay in an ASQ Hotel ??? ... and it looks like 10 days required ? ....

... Though keep your fingers crossed it gets changed to only 7 for fully vaccinated People ??? ... Maybe I guess ???

So, ... Good luck with it. If you want to come back, ... Well I would still book the pass with the 10 days ASQ. ???

So, ...

... .... Still Coming !!!! ... And Wish Me Luck !!!!!! ...

Mark mark

2 minutes ago, Oracle2022 said:

ATK's are only any good well after the infection takes place.

Friend of mine last week got PCR positive.

Next day checked ATK and it said negative.

Day after went back and retested PCR - positive again.

Checked again ATK - negative.

Day 3 after first PCR positive then ATK also said positive.

So basically if relying on ATK they are useless, you can be positive for up to 3 days (maybe 4) and still get negative ATK result.

It is already knows that rapid tests , in many cases , when asymptomatic will result in negative result .

PCR tests are much more reliable but take a lot longer . PCR tests are so reliable that it can even find traces of virus long after you have been exposed to it ( which then leads to a positive , while in fact you should test negative )

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, smedly said:

omicron is here and it will spread very quickly 

Could turn out a blessing in disquise. Modern day version of the Cow-Pox. Give everyone great antibody count while being mostly asymptomatic. I'd think getting omicron is better than a booster shot except for the gulag you may have to spend two weeks in.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, shackleton said:

Considering the virus is getting worse in Europe especially the UK

I would not call this a knee jerk reaction 

Something has to be done to control this virus 

Yes , the numbers surely are more then worrying . The spread is massive , let's hope the virus is less virulent , and together with vaccinations are enough to keep this wave the last big one ( since it looks like this is going to be the biggest so far ) .

9 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Link to the topic?

Why would they refuse to pay the bills if it's covid insurance?

COVID insurance pays only for people who test positive for COVID. It does not cover preventive quarantine of close contacts.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Thus the revival of tourism is officially buried. Now again with 7-10 days of hotel prison. Not many will come.

We already had the whole theater in May / June.

Result: Didn't bring anything.

And now this ad hoc out of my gut again I'm afraid decision. Won't bring anything either, at best a delay. The big wave doesn't come in February, but then in March.

Many were not coming anyway, so this makes only a small difference to the desparado's wanting to come in. Outside of people who have kids here in Thailand, the mind boggles as to why tourist would want to visit in these uncertain times.

• Like 2