Test and Go: Tourists who received QR code can still enter Thailand

webfact

10 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

They are between a rock and a hard place. Either these new regulations that in many ways do not really make sense, or these new regulations but retro-actively meaning they also cancel the 200,000 QR passes already issued, which would cause endless havoc and recriminations in the airlines and tourism sectors, not helping Thailand reputation that's for sure.

Maybe the gvt knows the justification of these new regulations is questionable (Omicron most likely well established in Thailand already; very small numbers of Omicron carriers to be expected from thos 200,000 QR arrivals), but then the gvt has to be seen doing sthg. Remember, it's Thailand, they have to be seen doing sthg (even if not quite reasonable).

Not sure about the numbers, my apologies if not 100% correct, but you get my gist.

I would enquire if the Phuket Sandbox is still open, and if yes, I would try to book an additional flight to Pukhet and cancel all other hotel bookings other than Pukhet. Just an idea... 

The tourist money will just end up elsewhere.

On Tenerife at the moment, and there are tons of other tourists enjoying their vacation.

Promenades are packed with people, walking around outdoors with no face masks.

So if the canary islands can stay open with very few restrictions, why can't Thailand?

It's the same virus is it not?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Guemlum said:

Agree, but those travelling from the UK also face the unknown as to whether Boris Johnson is going to introduce a further lockdown similar to Tier 2. This would mean no holidays/travel allowed.

It’s doubtful he will be able to go that far as he’s being controlled by his own back benchers who won’t allow it. 

Have further restrictions been introduced?  Last night the Test & Go 'Select' button on the Thailand Pass website was 'greyed out' - today the Sandbox scheme is also 'greyed out'.  They said the Phuket Sandbox was still open - how can anyone apply?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Have further restrictions been introduced?  Last night the Test & Go 'Select' button on the Thailand Pass website was 'greyed out' - today the Sandbox scheme is also 'greyed out'.  They said the Phuket Sandbox was still open - how can anyone apply?

Yes I know somebody that was just ready to apply for the test and go when the news broke but instead has now decided to take the 7 days and go for the Phuket Sand box based on that announcement. Everything is booked for him hotels flights and now the Sandbox button is non clickable, he's now making up his mind whether to cancel all together. His kids are due back at school in Phuket on Jan 4th or 5th

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes I know somebody that was just ready to apply for the test and go when the news broke but instead has now decided to take the 7 days and go for the Phuket Sand box based on that announcement. Everything is booked for him hotels flights and now the Sandbox button is non clickable, he's now making up his mind whether to cancel all together. His kids are due back at school in Phuket on Jan 4th or 5th

It doesn't instill me with confidence - if they have changed their minds about the Phuket Sandbox, will my Test & Go Thailand Pass still be valid?  I thought the worrying was over after yesterday's announcement.

I could also end up with 'egg on my face' ???? - I've just come off the phone with the BBC. I told them the story they've been running all night that from today, all entrants to Thailand must go into quarantine was incorrect.

Edited by KhaoYai

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

It doesn't instill me with confidence - if they have changed their minds about the Phuket Sandbox, will my Test & Go Thailand Pass still be valid?  I thought the worrying was over after yesterday's announcement.

I could also end up with 'egg on my face' ???? - I've just come off the phone with the BBC. I told them the story they've been running all night that from today, all entrants to Thailand must go into quarantine was incorrect.

Hope you make it, my selfish reason for wanting my friends to come over is their promise to bring me a stash of my favourite "sugar puffs" breakfast cereal although the names changed now I know ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, micmichd said:

I would enquire if the Phuket Sandbox is still open, and if yes, I would try to book an additional flight to Pukhet and cancel all other hotel bookings other than Pukhet. Just an idea... 

It would seem that the Phuket Sandbox is not in fact Open.  It is not possible to apply at the moment.

• Like 1

Omnivron spreads rapidly, it is in Thailand  already and will become the dominant strain very quickly - regardless if more outsiders bring it.

Similar to the UK where Omicron is now dominant - infected tourists entering the UK will have no effect on the spread of the virus.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Yes looks like out of the 100 or so Omicron cases detected so far 34 are from T&G  so it’s clear if they continue to allow thousands more in under that scheme then it will indeed cause more spread and defeats the object of what they claim they are trying to achieve. 

Does feel like a Piers Morgan/Boris moment when you have people regularly reminding others to stay safe and look after others, concerned about people walking and kids playing in parks in the open air without face coverings on, but happy to participate in a scheme which is clearly going to bring in more Omicron. 

As you say it needs to be consistent and should be all or nothing at this stage especially as he is already hinting that it at it may only be short term. Just adds to more confusion. 

You’ve got a fascination to Boris, this is Thailand try again.

yes they can enter Thailand..

with one more hook.." another PCR test in 5 days."

it will mean that they will need to be quarantine for 5  more days until the 2nd test result comes out.

Let not worry about the proof... there will be always a way in the system to catch the "cheater"

best to leave the quarantine in place even it means that there will be hit on the number of tourism entering Thailand. It is OK

Let the government to look at avenues to improve the economy and the infra structure. One approach is to be friendlier with the USA  and the UK or  the "dirty Farang" countries.

I arrive on January 24th and I’ve got my QR code at great expense of £200 for one nights accomodation plus £120 Covid Insurance so why shouldn’t we come ? We will have a test within 3 days of arriving plus 2 further pcr tests on day 1 and day 7 so what’s the fuss about ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Gr3g said:

Too many old f**ts "I'm alright Jack" around here.

This virus is here to stay and the alphabet is long, so if you too scared, just stay indoors and have everything delivered, it's that easy.

Protect your self whatever way you deem necessary, but don't expect others to sacrifice their education, jobs, business and well being of entire families just so you can feel SAFER.

So SARS-CoV-2 can spread unfettered and drift into a variant of high consequence???

No one is sure SARS-CoV-2 may or may not drift into something more serious but it has drifted (antigenic drift)… & the last two human Coronaviruses [SARS-CoV-1 & MERS] to ‘pop-up’ had a case fatality rates of 10% & 30% respectively.

If you were a decision maker with the lives of hundreds of thousands in your hands what would you do ???  

There are no right responses… just least ‘bad’ responses to an issue we have no experience of.

Its very easy to criticize, impossible to manage. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Well, I'm not sure that flying half way around the world to an Omicron hotspot for a holiday is necessarily the best way to stay safe and protect oneself, especially if you have underlying health conditions.

Likewise, I am not sure sitting on an aeroplane for a 24 hour flight (twice) is the best way to socially distance but I certainly hope you manage to avoid a) catching it and b) bringing it back here.

A report in The DM today suggests there is threefold increase in the chances of becoming infected in an aircraft..

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So SARS-CoV-2 can spread unfettered and drift into a variant of high consequence???

No one is sure SARS-CoV-2 may or may not drift into something more serious but it has drifted (antigenic drift)… & the last two human Coronaviruses [SARS-CoV-1 & MERS] to ‘pop-up’ had a case fatality rates of 10% & 30% respectively.

If you were a decision maker with the lives of hundreds of thousands in your hands what would you do ???  

There are no right responses… just least ‘bad’ responses to an issue we have no experience of.

You are aware that for majority of this planets population this or any other virus is the least of worries in their daily existence.

Even in so called first world countries, your average hard working folks don't give a **** about all the media hype and this virus anymore as they have other, more pressing issues in daily lives already.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Which old f**ts would you be referring to, the ones at WHO, the public health officials and scientists in just about every country in the world, or are you just making it up as you go along....................

I was reffering to the ones on this forum...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Gr3g said:

You are aware that for majority of this planets population this or any other virus is the least of worries in their daily existence.

Even in so called first world countries, your average hard working folks don't give a **** about all the media hype and this virus anymore as they have other, more pressing issues in daily lives already.

You realize that its impossible to have a functioning economy when their is a health crisis, the crisis will affect education, jobs, health services and just about every working peoples sector through required isolation, sickness, hospitalization and death certainly being a factor for those unvaccinated.

2 minutes ago, Gr3g said:

I was reffering to the ones on this forum...

As I thought, you have no idea who the people are posting and calling them old f**ts just proves the point and ignores the advice of the professionals

Edited by Bkk Brian

11 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Well, I'm not sure that flying half way around the world to an Omicron hotspot for a holiday is necessarily the best way to stay safe and protect oneself, especially if you have underlying health conditions.

Likewise, I am not sure sitting on an aeroplane for a 24 hour flight (twice) is the best way to socially distance but I certainly hope you manage to avoid a) catching it and b) bringing it back here.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10336229/Risk-catching-Covid-THREE-times-higher-plane-infectious-Omicron-strain.html

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You realize that its impossible to have a functioning economy when their is a health crisis, the crisis will affect education, jobs, health services and just about every working peoples sector through required isolation, sickness, hospitalization and death certainly being a factor for those unvaccinated.

Almost 2 years of same same and nothing has been learned.

This sort of preaching may work on the internet forums but won't hold any ground with masses that don't know where the next meal will be/come from

If country/government/individual has means to protect vanurable, please by all means, but not at expense of others well being 

23 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

As I thought, you have no idea who the people are posting and calling them old f**ts just proves the point and ignores the advice of the professionals

I don't, but there are NO selfless acts (maybe a few), and it's clear that everyone speaks from their point of interest/view. 

Even many so called "professionals"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gr3g said:

Almost 2 years of same same and nothing has been learned.

This sort of preaching may work on the internet forums but won't hold any ground with masses that don't know where the next meal will be/come from

If country/government/individual has means to protect vanurable, please by all means, but not at expense of others well being 

Yep its pandemic fatigue, it affects us all, especially the ones suffering financial hardship and those that have lost loved ones. Unfortunately Thailand does not provide enough financial support for those that need it that I do agree with.

7 minutes ago, Gr3g said:

I don't, but there are NO selfless acts (maybe a few), and it's clear that everyone speaks from their point of interest/view. 

Even many so called "professionals"

You made a baseless attempt at insulting other forum members on a topic discussing the entry to Thailand............fail

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gr3g said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

You may think differently with more information and greater responsibility. 

It’s lovely that the majority of the planet do no worry about this virus (according to you), although somewhat entertaining how you speak for billions. 

You and those whose voice you choose to carry have not yet thought of what this virus could be. 

There are 7 human Corona viruses - 2 Alpha, 2 Beta Coronaviruses which cause approximately 20-30% of common colds. We also have SARS-CoV-1 and MERS, both quite deadly......

Now we have SARS-CoV-2 which has proven it will evolve....

We do not know what it could evolve into, however we do know that ‘similar’ human coronaviruses are both relatively harmless and others are more deadly....

So, in the ‘so called first world countries’ it doesnt matter what the average hard working folks think, because just like you, their opinion may be ill informed and uneducated.

This virus ‘could’ still drift into something more serious..... if YOU were in charge and had the information being provided to you by world renowned experts, would you ignore it ????

Would you say.... lets not do anything to try to limit and slow down the spread of this virus ?????

The crazy thing is that they banned arrivals from Southern African countries due to omicron while allowing arrivals without quarantine from the UK which has far more omicron cases.  A case of racism combined with greed, as tourism from Southern Afica is insignificant. 

Omicron will take off in Thailand after the New Year for sure.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 2