Poo Tanks - Should they empty both?

Beachcomber

We have a couple of those concrete rings in the ground for the toilet waste.

When they were put in I vaguely remember that the two rings were connected underground by blue pipe.

The question is, when the man comes to empty the tanks should he suck out each tank individually, or as the tanks are connected, will sucking out just one tank do the job.?

Both tanks should have the top brass/steel hatch to screw off.  

You'll probably need to have both sucked out. 

They'll be some heavier (toilet paper,hair,etc) material probably that won't get sucked out properly doing just one.

Its pretty cheap for such a Sh**ty job.  Perhaps 500-700 baht.

Ours has to be done soon.  Thanks for the reminder.

Ours must be the cheap version we only got screw off brass hatch on one of the lids.

The guy just slides off the round concrete rings to get the pipe in.

I don't take a lot of notice, just let him get on with it, I'm sure (almost) that he used to empty both tanks but noticed recently that he now only empties just one. 

Just want to be sure which is correct before making a deal about it.

We pay just 400 Baht. ????

• Like 1

Are you kidding?  That cost money.  Why do you think the streets all smell like human waste?  Because  to do it correct cost money.  Have you ever walked over the grates and looked down, to see the waste flowwing where it shouldn't?  Have you not ever seen them dump paint, oil, and other things down the drains that they shouldn't?  They either don't  care or haven't been told the affects.  How many hotels do you think have ever emptied their tanks?  I know some that been in business 20 years, and never have emptied.  Have you not ever been awakened at night from the smell of the sewer coming up through  the pipes?

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, thaitom said:

but .... what size concrete rings and how many ?  i think mine are 4 rings deep,

Dunno.  We have 3 maybe 2m deep.  I converted 2 of them to septic with leach field and haven't had the sucker trucks for years now.  The 3rd is just for guest bathroom and seems to take care of itself.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Pump out the toilet waste tank only, the other has no solids so goes to leach line.

Only if there is a leach line.  Most do not and need the periodic suck.  The other thing I did to reduce the requirement is to divert the washer and kitchen sink waste to the garden instead of the tanks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, petermik said:

How can you tell when they need emptying.......??????????

We knew when some foul smelling liquid started leaking out during a family new year drinking party with people sitting on the carpark next to the tanks. Mostly unfazed, the locals just moved away a bit and kept drinking. 

It was a new house, unfortunately built on non-porous clay type soil. Had to get an excavator to smash up the concrete, dig out the tanks and then run a pipe about 70 metres away to a low part of the property. We have now built a new small building with a separate outside toilet for the drinkers this year.

8 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

and seems to take care of itself.

As it should do, we haven't had our ours "sucked" out for years!!

(we only have an issue with them if it rains very hard, toilet flushing with difficulty, but a couple of hours after the rains stop it's back to normal!)

23 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

Every one knows what Poo! is, no need to use the word <deleted> which the censors will just blank out.

Septic tank?  Not really a tank is it?

The correct term is septic tank. Poo is an infantile word when referring to excrement, fecal matter, stool etc. Adults using illiterate baby talk makes me cringe.

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The correct term is septic tank. Poo is an infantile word when referring to excrement, fecal matter, stool etc. Adults using illiterate baby talk makes me cringe.

It’s intellectual rather than illiterate as Flanders and Swann demonstrate, though for scansion they adapt it slightly.

4 hours ago, thaitom said:

Called a septic tank in USA. never heard the word poo used until i went to China. and no one uses that word in Thailand. most likely a word used by old people

it was a joke mate. you think to mut

How about.

A Septic tank having a Sherman tank.

Edited by Orinoco

Same dilemma at my place but only 200 baht for two tanks. No expiration trench to carry of the excess water waste, just a bad design, I tried to explain the concept of a septic tank over a cesspit but I was overruled. 

A little like the concept of preventative maintenance, whoosh.

On 12/22/2021 at 4:39 PM, bankruatsteve said:

Leave it up to the professional.  ????  It is B200 per cesspit here.

Way up in an Issan village 100 baht, bloke and his Mrs does it they're in my phone as Mr & Mrs Sh*te he does however just dump it into a derelict field between the village and the town doesn't smell too good when you pass it on the motorbike ????????