Cost of 14 days in the hospital if I test positive on arrival?

mitebbots

I was thinking to buy one of those Thai Covid insurances (because others said they cover asymptomatic case), but I read the news that they don't pay at all (TIT haha) and on their Covid package website I see it doesn't cover anything anymore except straight Coma eh... So I will probably go with SafetyWing for monthly $42/$68 (under/above 39y) which looks like convenient travel insurance, covers Covid too, but not asymptomatic which is normal for this price, and it's OK since I'm already here long time and I wouldn't do the test until I feel unwell.

Sorry if it's a bit off-topic (not arriving tourist), but Thai insurers issue was mentioned few times here.

1 hour ago, sallecc said:

I was thinking to buy one of those Thai Covid insurances (because others said they cover asymptomatic case), but I read the news that they don't pay at all (TIT haha) and on their Covid package website I see it doesn't cover anything anymore except straight Coma eh... So I will probably go with SafetyWing for monthly $42/$68 (under/above 39y) which looks like convenient travel insurance, covers Covid too, but not asymptomatic which is normal for this price, and it's OK since I'm already here long time and I wouldn't do the test until I feel unwell.

Sorry if it's a bit off-topic (not arriving tourist), but Thai insurers issue was mentioned few times here.

Be aware that Safety Wings usually does not pay hospitals directly, you have to pay first and be reimbursed.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 12:22 AM, Moonlover said:

Isn't this why you're obliged to have Covid insurance? Surely that should cover it.

Usually best to include an appropriate emoji with tongue in cheek posts. This one’s best: ???? 

Numerous cases of people getting the shaft after being sent to hospital in Thailand (and being asymptomatic) with insurers not paying. Op, you’re talking 300k!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Be aware that Safety Wings usually does not pay hospitals directly, you have to pay first and be reimbursed.

Yes correct Sheryl. Deductible is $250, and bigger hospitals like BKH etc. are accepting SafetyWing's "payment guarantee" (this is from friend's experience), smaller or government hospitals probably not.

46 minutes ago, daveAustin said:
On 12/23/2021 at 7:22 AM, Moonlover said:

Isn't this why you're obliged to have Covid insurance? Surely that should cover it.

46 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Usually best to include an appropriate emoji with tongue in cheek posts. This one’s best: ???? 

Numerous cases of people getting the shaft after being sent to hospital in Thailand (and being asymptomatic) with insurers not paying. Op, you’re talking 300k!

I don't do tongue in cheek comments!

I have AXA US Gold, says 100k coverage. I just talked to them and they said I would be covered for $100 a day for quarantine. I asked about hospitalization and that seemed to be a gray area. she said it would depend on documentation, I am supposed to get a call from an agent to clarify. 

I doubt an $80 policy will pay out thousands for a hospital bill. I can afford it, just having to go without being sick doesn't settle well. 

my trip is in a few days and between the awful AQI and the rising cases I may change my dates.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:25 PM, KhaoYai said:

Just a note of warning on that. Your insurance should of course pay if you test positive but they may have something to say if you're required to isolate in a hospital with no/few symptoms.  Worse still, if you are one of the really unlucky ones that is required to quarantine because you've been in contact with someone who tested positive (on the flight for example) - some insurers won't pay for that.  I had to really go deep into it with my insurers who at first said it wasn't covered but finally agreed that if I was ordered to quarantine because I'd had a contact, they would pay. However, they have a limit on that and as stated in my policy, that limit is £2000 GBP - 90,000 baht.  That would pay for hotel isolation but I doubt it would last long if I was ordered to stay at a hospital.

Travellers may wish to check both points with their insurers before they travel - difficult to contact a home country insurer when you're abroad.

They should also be aware that they should check their country's travel advice immediately before leaving. If that advice is against all but essential travel to Thailand, then certainly from a UK insurers point of view, you will not be covered.

That currently already applies to:

For security reasons, the FCDO advises against all but essential travel to:

• Pattani
  • Yala
  • Narathiwat
  • Southern Songkhla province. This does not include areas north of and including the A43 road between Hat Yai and Sakom, and areas north-west of and including the train line which runs between Hat Yai and Pedang Besar.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

In other words you may be better off with a Thai insurance whenever Thailand is on the list of no-go countries internationally. 

9 hours ago, JackGats said:

In other words you may be better off with a Thai insurance whenever Thailand is on the list of no-go countries internationally. 

For COVID cover yes but otherwise not.

Not just because of no-go policies but because Thai insurers accept the idea of mandatory hospitalization even if asymptomatic.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 9:51 AM, possum1931 said:

Maybe I'm getting mixed up with fine print and small print Rob. Small print is there because any companies using it are hoping you will not notice it, That is the only reason it is there, I will never change my mind on that.

There usually isn't any small print, either.

In fact in addition to the policies in perfectly normal print many insurers produce dumbed-down user guides in the hope that it will induce more people to read and understand their policies. It makes a lot of headaches for them, as well as for clients, when people do not follow policy terms (pre-authorizations for hospitalizations,  or trying to claim benefits that aren't part of the policy they selected etc).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Not just because of no-go policies but because Thai insurers accept the idea of mandatory hospitalization even if asymptomatic.

Completely agree - I would not arrange Thai insurance unless I had to or my own country insurers did not include cover for mandatory quarantine (positive or because of a contact). In any case I would read the policy in detail before signing up. I am having a hell of a time claiming for a break-in at my property.  My policy contains so many get out clauses/limitations/exclusions, its hardly worth having.  As I say, check to make sure any cover you arrange is suitable - read the detail, not just the bullet points.

One important thing to check for with Thai insurance.  I hadn't realise this, partly because I hadn't read the clause and partly because I didn't believe there could be such fundamental differences:

My home insurance, in what is covered in relation to contents, gives a list of major items and then says something like 'and other personal items, the property of the insured, normally kept at the property.  We are currently fighting on that matter because, apparently the Thai language version of that item says other items NECESSARY for living in a dwelling.  There is then a clause in English that states that the Thai language version is the one that takes precedence in law!  I can't believe it but that's how it is.

In other words there may be differences between the Thai/English versions of your Covid policy - check for these and the consequences of any differences. It may well be fine - I'm just saying read the details, If you find something you wish to queery, do it in writing, don't accept e verbal explanation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

One important thing to check for with Thai insurance.  I hadn't realise this, partly because I hadn't read the clause and partly because I didn't believe there could be such fundamental differences:

My home insurance, in what is covered in relation to contents, gives a list of major items and then says something like 'and other personal items, the property of the insured, normally kept at the property.  We are currently fighting on that matter because, apparently the Thai language version of that item says other items NECESSARY for living in a dwelling.  There is then a clause in English that states that the Thai language version is the one that takes precedence in law!  I can't believe it but that's how it is.

In other words there may be differences between the Thai/English versions of your Covid policy - check for these and the consequences of any differences. It may well be fine - I'm just saying read the details, If you find something you wish to queery, do it in writing, don't accept e verbal explanation.

Also i wouldn't accept anything in writing from the broker, in a court case it's between customer and insurer

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I agree, but is there any reliable local Covid insurance? I heard they are not paying out, it was in the news too... I checked Roojai has stop Covid packages from Dec/1, and Diphaya's Covid package doesn't cover anything anymore, except Coma... Any recommendations for local Covid insured who covers asymptomatic case @Sheryl? I'm genuinely interested, and I'm sure many here would appreciate your good advice as always. Thanks ????

mandatory health insurance for foreigners in thailand is a long held ambition of the authorities due to their obsession with a foreigner being unable to pay their hospital bill (a massive over reaction to a very small problem considering the income generated through tourism).

if policies are being accepted by the authorities that dont provide cover for long stay, and therefore potentially expensive, quarantine or hospital bills due to covid they will potentially face the same problem with foreigners being unable to pay their bills... the solution doesn't fix the problem.

On 12/23/2021 at 9:00 AM, Dante99 said:

As stated many times, people get put in Covid isolation sometimes because they were near somebody who tested positive (like on a plane or taxi or van) even though they themselves did not test positive.  That seems to be the practice and not just in Thailand.

Why? as a preventative measure

And, what insurance will pay for that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sallecc said:

I agree, but is there any reliable local Covid insurance? I heard they are not paying out, it was in the news too... I checked Roojai has stop Covid packages from Dec/1, and Diphaya's Covid package doesn't cover anything anymore, except Coma... Any recommendations for local Covid insured who covers asymptomatic case @Sheryl? I'm genuinely interested, and I'm sure many here would appreciate your good advice as always. Thanks ????

Best to ask a Broker like AA. The policies for those entering the country seem OK but these are distinct from the policies available to people already here. The COVID specific policies for Thai residents seem to have largely dried up..

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2021 at 9:40 AM, 2long said:

My brother came two weeks ago on Test & Go. To get his Thai Pass he bought the insurance that was recommended on the application app/page. 2,250B for a month, I believe.

Mind telling me which insurance company is that? I think 2000 baht is quite reasonable.