Rate your Embassy's usefulness

Is your Embassy in Bangkok this inaccessible? I am keen to read about others' positive, negative and neutral experiences with Commonwealth Embassies (Australia, Singapore etc).

I tried numerous times to reach a human being at the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok, with no success. At one point, I got a person with a French (?) accent providing an email address (different than the one on the GC website) but she said it so quickly, and did not repeat it even once, so that practically speaking it was impossible to write it down for reference. Clearly we have federal employees who are francophone and anglophone, but every recording is by a francophone. What, the federal government has no native speakers of EEnglish

My intended enquiry was about where Canadians can get COVID booster shots. My flight leaves in a week. However, this is not an emergency, so I did not call that designated line. Important and urgent is not the same as emergency.

What's more, when I sent an email to the email address listed in the federal government website it is returned as undeliverable.

So, I tried a different approach - listening to the recordings then pressing '0'. After a couple more recordings I got silence or ten repeats of what amounts to 'we are busy, please hold the line' (annoying in it's looping). Finally, I get a 'thank you, goodbye'

In other words the employees of my Embassy do not want to hear (or do not have the capability to hear) from Canadian citizens in Thailand. Which begs the question, what is the purpose of an Embassy? Perhaps serving the economic and political interests of the State. This is my guess: visions of 'Yes, Minister', a British satire about entrenched civil service.

Poor service by representatives of one's home government seems to be commonplace. It is as if all they exist for is to enhance trade, to negotiate military & political deals, and to get more immigrants. Seems they don't focus on Canadians overseas.

When in Serbia I called the Embassy there to enquire about where to get a COVID vaccination (the President of that country had announced free vaccinations to all comers, so I had jumped on a plane in Kiev to Belgrade to take full advantage of the generous offer). Canadian Embassy staff (both in Ukraine and Serbia) told me to go to  the stadium. Well, guess what, their information was several days out of date. Foreigners were not being accepted due to a very recent policy change. I had been there just hours before. So, I educated the Embassy. I also wrote a letter of complaint that Embassy staff were giving out incorrect information. I received a carefully worded reply that did not, I noted, include an apology for sending Canadians on a wild goose chase.

Is your Embassy any more competent and helpful?

Update: Google lists an alternative email. So, a corporate search engine is more useful than a governmemt webpage. Imagine that shocking reality.

Edited by World Traveller2
  • Confused 1

I've contacted the Canadian Embassy by email on a number of occasions concerning my son's citizenship application. I've always received a helpful reply in just a few days.

To contact the Consular section at the Embassy use this email:

[email protected]

In their email to me they also provided several addresses, depending on your issue. They also have an email address for emergency inquiries. Here is the information:

Your message has been received by the Consular Section, Embassy of Canada, Bangkok, Thailand.  Routine passport and citizenship enquiries are responded to within three to five business days.  For questions on immigration or visa to Canada please contact [email protected].  As a Canadian citizen, if you require assistance for an emergency outside regular business hours, please contact [email protected].

I hope this helps. Posting a message in the Covid section of this forum will likely get you some information on where to get a Covid booster.

Paul Laew

Well I hope your are not paying Canadian taxes living abroad like they want you to.......... during the early stages of this Pandemic,  I called the Canuck  Embassy regarding vaccines..... they said follow Thai Government guidelines or contact your private hospital, I hung up without another word, they are very good at getting you a new 10 year renewal passport in 15 days however, thanks Embassy 

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2021 at 2:57 PM, richard_smith237 said:

As a British Citizen on a personal level I don’t expect much from my Embassy. 

I understand their role is not to assist me or bail me out of trouble, I don’t act recklessly and don’t need that. 

I understand their role is to continue trade relationships with Thailand and maintain the interests of the British Government (economy) in Thailand. 

So... Rate the usefulness of the British Embassy on a personal level....  0-10 (10 being best) - I’d say 2 because I’ve been able to get a couple of needed documents from them, otherwise I do not expect or have any need for anything else. 

On a ’National (British) level’ with regards to trade and regional security their importance can only be measured by the British Government itself, we simply cannot know the work that goes on behind closed doors particularly where global security is concerned. 

Regarding Covid vaccinations: I was able to find that information out myself far more quickly than any advice from an Embassy could have provided. 

I received a vaccination (AZ) here in June, before my Wife and her Parents. 

Meanwhile people were complaining about their embassies as if they expected spoon feeding - there was plenty of information out there, but many took to complaining instead. 

But as far as consular activities ( where they are required to assist their nationals), I would rate them somewhere between an ashtray on a motorcycle and a chocolate teapot!

I've never had any issues with the US Embassy.

They have provided me with services i've needed, Passports, notarizing documents, and my wifes CR-1 application etc.

Now I think many people seem to feel that the embassy is there to bail them out when they act like dicks, or run outta money and can't get home.

You f***ck up and they will offer consular support but you are at the end of the day are responsible for your own actions, the embassy isn't a charity and most certainly isn't a travel agency

Edited by GinBoy2

On 12/28/2021 at 7:53 PM, EVENKEEL said:

I needed 3 documents notarized. The US Embassy charged  $50.00 for each signature. Cost $150.00. Insane criminal fee. 

I asked if the Consular Officer is a commissioned notary back in the US?  Did not get an answer after I paid $50, raised my right hand and swore the information on my affidavit was true.  The same back in the US with an actuary notary is $10.  Been to the US Embassies in Baghdad and Kabul and the Chiang Mai consulate.  I felt more welcome in Baghdad and Kabul after I checked in my firearms. The only thing I expect from any US Embassy is to replace or renew my passport(of course I would pay for this service(>  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 3:57 AM, sqwakvfr said:

The only thing I expect from any US Embassy is to replace or renew my passport(of course I would pay for this service(>  

Would be nice if they would allow us to come into the embassy to renew the passport and pick it up when it's ready, instead of forcing everything through the mail.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Would be nice if they would allow us to come into the embassy to renew the passport and pick it up when it's ready, instead of forcing everything through the mail.

But some of us are happy not to have to make 2 long trips to Bangkok.

"Ask not what your embassy can do for you - ask what you can do for ....... only joking"

The British Embassy used to be genuinely useful - they helped me to establish a subsidiary of a UK company in Thailand, supported promotional events and provided notary services for a range of documents, plus passport renewal.  But that was 15 years ago.

Now the career ambassadors have no useful inside knowledge on Thai politics, and the range of services has been cut back to the point of being useless.

The old embassy's prestigious address was also useful to help promote UK businesses, but even that's gone now.

So I rank my embassy as a 0.

But when I was setting up a new subsidiary of the Thai business in Australia, the Australian embassy was very helpful.  They also have a proper embassy building.