Stem Cell Therapy Ad (on Bangkok Post Front Page!)

wpcoe

I was surprised to see this full-color ad on the front page of today's newspaper. It is a screen shot of the online version of the paper, so is not the greatest quality. Here is the text of the ad:

Stem cell is a primordial cell that has the potential to renew itself and develop into any cell type in the body such as cardiac muscle cell or blood vessel cell.

Stem cell therapy for end-stage, Ischemic heart disease utilizes stem cells isolated from the patient's own blood that are greatly expanded in the laboratory under sterile condition. When re-infused back into the coronary arteries, these cells stimulate the formation of new arteries and capillaries increasing blood supply to the needy region of heart muscles.

24-hour Heart Center of Chaophya Hospital team of decicated cardiologists are ready to provide elective and emergency cardiac care around the clock including stem cell therapy for heart disease.

There is no disclaimer that this is an experimental procedure. Is stem cell science out of the lab and into mainstream medicine in Thailand already?

[edited for typo]

post-33251-1181255732_thumb.jpg

Edited by wpcoe

This treatment was approved for 50 patients in the USA and another 50 patients were to receive a placebo treatment. As I recall the patients that received the placebo treatment eventually died however they were not allowed to continue the publishing of results of the non-placebo patients due to government and religious interference in science and medicine once again. Ignorance runs rampant in the USA when it comes to imposing religious morals on science, I'm waiting for the next book burning.