Over 200 Omicron cases confirmed in Thailand, Kalasin -Udon Thani cluster of concern

webfact

20 hours ago, ezzra said:

I can almost hear the fire bells ringing at the Anutin's office... we can only sit and wait for bad news from the government to come out any moment now...

You might hear them Mate but he won't as he hits the "Mute" button lol

11 hours ago, JackGats said:

"The couple’s initial COVID-19 test results were negative and they travelled back to their hometown".

Which initial test results? To me it seems the couple could very well have contaminated themselves in Thailand.

I think it means their pre-flight and Test & Go tests.

Since they just flew in from Europe where Omicron is well established most likely infected there just before departure (or even on the flight).

Given the size of the cluster they set off despite negative pre-deaprture and T&G results I really cannot foresee Test & Go restarting soon. At least not in its prior form. Best we might hope for is a reduced quarantine period for the fully vaxxed (e.g. 5 or 7 days instead of 10) and/or resumption for a few countries with low incidence (which won't stay low). Otherwise likely no change  until this blows over which may take months....

• Like 1

The US has just lifted the Travel ban for the South African Countries, seems that even though Omicron is running through the States they understand its is not the end all folks believe it can be as Omicron is showing to be just a glorified heavy chest cold like days of yore.....lets hope it is the beginning of the end of the Pandemic and that as we know its hr=ere to stay it is marked as endemic.

55 minutes ago, robblok said:

Of course, more people who are vaccinated are admitted, too bad that many of you antivaxers don't really think before you post.

If you got a 80-90% vaccinated population then of course in absolute numbers, the most admitted would be vaccinated. But if you then break the numbers down and adjust for amount of people vaccinated vs did not vaccinate the story is different and you see that the not vaccinated still represent a far larger group then they should based on their absolute numbers.

They did not lie, it's not a conspiracy either, it's just taking things out of context. A favorite of antivaxers and conspiracy thinkers.

Too bad most of those are not bright enough to understand such complicated things.

Many just look at numbers in the pie diagrams and when they see  1000 vaccinated and 999 unvaccinated are at hospital, then it's proof that the vaccines are not working.

Just using random numbers as example.

Tried to explain that to 2 of my anti vax family members, that had sent me pictures of the daily diagrams where vaccinated were a large part of the pie.

The pie diagrams just showed the raw data.

When i sent them a chart from the same source that was showing cases pr 100000 in each category and it showed the unvaccinated were more than 4 times overrepresented in hospitals, they told me that was not the correct way to compare numbers.

They both had bad cases of covid not so long ago with high fever, diarrhea and lost 14 kilos.

They said they got covid from 3 of their vaccinated friends, and because of that they also questioned the vaccines.

What can you do?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Virt said:

Many just look at numbers in the pie diagrams and when they see  1000 vaccinated and 999 unvaccinated are at hospital, then it's proof that the vaccines are not working.

Just using random numbers as example.

Tried to explain that to 2 of my anti vax family members, that had sent me pictures of the daily diagrams where vaccinated were a large part of the pie.

The pie diagrams just showed the raw data.

When i sent them a chart from the same source that was showing cases pr 100000 in each category and it showed the unvaccinated were more than 4 times overrepresented in hospitals, they told me that was not the correct way to compare numbers.

They both had bad cases of covid not so long ago with high fever, diarrhea and lost 14 kilos.

They said they got covid from 3 of their vaccinated friends, and because of that they also questioned the vaccines.

What can you do?

You can't do a thing these people don't listen to reason. Don't want to understand or can't understand numbers. Its a losing battle. I have mainly given up. At times, like my response in this topic i still try a bit. But mainly I ignore them. Knowing that like religious people and sects these can't be convinced as they are brainwashed and don't trust or don't want to trust numbers. 

On the internet they can find anything that confirms their bias and use it without further thinking about it. A Brit friend of mine who was forced back home became quite radical. Linking covid to earth depopulation strategies and other things. First he denied covid said it was not bad. Told him do your own research ask some nurses and doctors who work in hospitals about the patients ect. Then finally admitted covid was a thing and switched to the next part of his conspiracy.

But before all this started i told him i don't want to talk about it as its pointless. Plus don't like to risk a friendship over stuff like this. Best to ignore it if you don't want too much conflict. 

Its easy on a forum, but when its with people you know and like you don't want to anger them and break up a friendship over this. I had the same with a creationist friend who believed the earth was 6000 years old and carbon dating was flawed. So we decided not to talk about it and concentrate on stuff we had in common and liked. 

When people abandon science and logic there is not much you can do.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

Yes people will die from a disease.  Good job on your great discovery.  The important thing is the rate at which people will die.  Good thing people who aren't in bad health will have >99.8% chance of living.

Most people will try and continue living a normal life while hypochondriacs will wait for TV to tell them what to do.

99.8% sounds pretty good unless you think about it.

if airplane travel had a 99.8% survival rate, that would be about three airplane crashes a day.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Alot of panic mongers actually seem disappointed at this thing finally fading out. Wait, wait, let's see! No. We don't have to wait. Nearly all nations are seeing declining deaths, except the US, where you have the highest concentration of Vax conspiracy nutters! 

Agree, what a bunch of morons. Two friends are not getting vaccinated in the US, conspiracy nuts. Was riding the bus in Bogota and got to talking to a couple here in Colombia .. They told me it was a conspiracy to kill off people because the natural resources were being used up to fast.

Where do they come up with all these crazy ideas?

• Like 1

I am far more interested in science, than I am in fear mongering. And even though I am not a VAX guy, I feel at this time, getting a high quality vaccine represents a reasonable fulfillment of an obligation to society, and a minor sacrifice for anti-vax people to make. Doubly so for the ones who run around draping themselves in a flag of patriotism. 

Refusing to take a vaccine, to benefit society and bring society back, is about as sensible as believing the earth is flat. Imagine making a sacrifice for your country? What a concept. Many of the fake patriots would wet their pants if they were ever asked to truly protect their nation or serve in any manner.

A kindergartener has to have some vaccines before being allowed into school, pandemic or not. I know you think you're being brave by doing this based on a "principle," but are you at least as brave as a kindergartener?

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 3:08 AM, spidermike007 said:

Alot of panic mongers actually seem disappointed at this thing finally fading out. Wait, wait, let's see! No. We don't have to wait. Nearly all nations are seeing declining deaths, except the US, where you have the highest concentration of Vax conspiracy nutters! 

Well just to let you (all) know that, after traveling from BKK to Khon Kaen on the same ThaiSmile flight with the 2 Thai Kalasin Omicron cluster patient-zeroes just in from Belgium 11 DEC 2021, that my hospital PCR test yesterday was NEGATIVE/NOT DETECTED.

Whether the 2 (now in a Khon Kaen hospital as of yesterday) ever sat close to me in the boarding lounge or on the flight itself, undetermined although most of the surrounding passengers that I noticed were much younger than age 47 and were obsessiviely glued to their smart phones.

On 12/24/2021 at 1:43 PM, TooMuchTime said:

No.  I am saying the average person will have minor symptoms regardless of # of injections.  Extremely high survival rate shows that.  People will still line up for a "booster" every 3 months as if they will get some prize on the tenth shot.

New Pfizer Punch Card Lets You Get Free Sub Sandwich Every 10th Booster |  The Babylon Bee

Where's your proof... fact, many do have "mild" symptoms, because they have had their jabs. The hospitals have a lot of ICU cases, due to the unvaccinated... and many still dying. But hey, everyone has their choice, just don't complain if you get a very bad case. You do not have a choice of which variant you get...lol

33 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well just to let you (all) know that, after traveling from BKK to Khon Kaen on the same ThaiSmile flight with the 2 Thai Kalasin Omicron cluster patient-zeroes just in from Belgium 11 DEC 2021, that my hospital PCR test yesterday was NEGATIVE/NOT DETECTED.

Whether the 2 (now in a Khon Kaen hospital as of yesterday) ever sat close to me in the boarding lounge or on the flight itself, undetermined although most of the surrounding passengers that I noticed were much younger than age 47 and were obsessiviely glued to their smart phones.

That is a very good outcome. Thrilled that you were not subjected to any inconvenience, or a nightmare scenario! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

That is a very good outcome. Thrilled that you were not subjected to any inconvenience, or a nightmare scenario! 

Thank you and just to let others know that, even if you find yourself to have been on a flight where it afterwards is determined that there was one or more Covid Omicron passengers onboard, doesn't mean that the whole flight is then infected, or maybe any others infected at all.

And just to note that on a ThaiSmile A320-200 you can never be that far away from anybody.

Edited by jerrymahoney

8 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

The BaPo today has further disturbing news about the Kalasin Omicron cluster but the new infections appear to be from on-the-ground contact all linked to the 2 Thais who arrived from Belgium via BKK and by air to Khon Kaen.

Yea just read that, very difficult to stop this Omicron outbreak now, with the clusters in the bar and restaurant.

23 hours ago, Midwit said:

Did you just call someone an anti vaxxer?  Nooooooo!!!! Put him in jail this instant for your hurt feelings. He also didn’t say he was against the vaccine he just said that the symptoms are mild boosted or not. What he said isn’t helping. Lol clown 

Put in jail my *****   they should be shot

I would be ecstatic then!????

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yea just read that, very difficult to stop this Omicron outbreak now, with the clusters in the bar and restaurant.

A line in the BP indicated that the tourists upon being allowed to freely roam after they test negative after the first PCR test in the test N Go will have to wear masks.....This makes no sense as we all wear masks around Thailand because we are told it is part of the procedures in place, and for which I agree.  Have these travelers been told that they do not have to wear masks?  If so that is nuts in itself.  Of course I have seen many foreigners running around town and in the malls not earing masks already and just gave into the belief that they were being idiots.

• Like 1

As of January 16, there were only 200/300 cumulated cases of Omicron detected in France, which has broadly the same population as Thailand. Now, estimates are 20,000 to 40,000 per day.

So it took only 9 days from 200/300 to 20,000/40,000

Edited by candide
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, candide said:

As of January 16, there were only 200/300 cumulated cases of Omicron detected in France, which has broadly the same population as Thailand. Now, estimates are 20,000 to 40,000 per day.

December 16?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Thank you and just to let others know that, even if you find yourself to have been on a flight where it afterwards is determined that there was one or more Covid Omicron passengers onboard, doesn't mean that the whole flight is then infected, or maybe any others infected at all.

And just to note that on a ThaiSmile A320-200 you can never be that far away from anybody.

Of course. However, that does not stop an over reaction by the believers in the Zombie Apocalypse. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, candide said:

2 hours ago, Virt said:

December 16?

Oops! Thanks for correcting it, it was December 16.

• Like 1