Anutin admits some foreign tourists will bring in Omicron - but says its no worse than other variants

webfact

13 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I never liked him but at least this time he admits that omricon is no worse, and obviously some of the 20K would bring it in. And if it is no worse, then continue test and go again too.

I agree. He’s said plenty of dumb stuff in the past, but give him credit this time for saying something sensible. Omicron is already established in Thailand so letting in a few thousand fully vaccinated and tested foreigners a day is not going to substantially worsen the problem.

Also, data from South Africa, the UK, and Denmark seems to be showing it is much milder than Other variants which is probably what he is referring to when he says it’s “no worse”.

The main focus should be getting everyone vaccinated, not closing the borders yet again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandiRona said:

It's a reality, other than China or North Korea, no one can close themselves completely. I think focus should be to educate people about how to live with. Caution, Cure and Courage.

Thailand and education... need a better plan than that.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Such infection in those cases resulted in mild, quickly treatable infections.

Interesting, I didn't know the infected were treated, they just got better on their own after a day or so. Maybe some aspirin for treating Omicron effects?

1 hour ago, Toany said:

The tourist are more likely to catch Omicron in Thailand now.  So, what is the need for entry restrictions?

That's just not true. It may well be in a few weeks.

Or perhaps the natural tendency of asian cultures to be more compliant with mask wearing and take threats to health more seriously will just keep Thailand safer generally.

But, what happens when there is omicron plus, or whatever horrible name they give the next mutation?

Until the world knows more, trying to find some middle ground between caution and economic suicide seems to be the only reasonable way to hedge bets.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The controversial figure admitted that there would be some Omicron cases that would "sneak in" among the 200,000 foreign tourists on the Test and Go program. 

Should read:

The future PM and Golden Boy admitted that there would be some Omicron cases that would "sneak in" among the 200,000 dirty foreign tourists on the Test and Go program. 

This rewrite might actually match his ego and tell the truth about how he feels about us.

• Like 1