Omicron panic decimates Thai tourism "high season" - foreign tourists cancel, events scrapped, flights stopped, insurance woes

webfact

6 hours ago, ebean001 said:

The high speed train to China from Chiang Mai to be completed 2017. Ooops, that did not happen but China now has a train to Laos. my question is this...China has almost 30,000 klms of track. If Thailand had connect with China, it would have been connected to nearly all people in China...including ex-pats. What would Thailand be like today?  

FKD

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Area 39, a very popular bar near Treetown, Soi Bukahow, Pattaya has started ATK testing to get into the premises. They are not accepting proof of vaccination apparently.

Editor of the Pattaya News confirmed that if you fail that ATK test, an ambulance will be called and you will be taken to hospital.

Can you expand on how they will detain you?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Let us be honest about this. It is Prayuth and Anutin, and their extreme cowardice that has decimated any hope of survival, within the tourism industry. It is a dead industry. This is likely the final nail in the coffin. 

Expect very high sustained unemployment for years to come. 

Can you think of anything they have done that isn't reversible?

8 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

People aren't stupid.

We had the story of the Danish family yesterday, with the daughter being taken off to hospital for failing a test.

Area 39, a very popular bar near Treetown, Soi Bukahow, Pattaya has started ATK testing to get into the premises. They are not accepting proof of vaccination apparently.

Editor of the Pattaya News confirmed that if you fail that ATK test, an ambulance will be called and you will be taken to hospital.

Who in their right mind is going to travel 6,000 miles to put up with heads you win, tails your taken to hospital.

Well if you test positive its maybe because you farangs walk around brazenly WITHOUT MASKS…constantly in Big C , shops and soi baukhao.  Covid only looks for thais and ignores farangs so it seems.  I’d avoid soi baukhao like the plague unless i want to get covid.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Jimjim1 said:

Correct

and across the world the scientific and medical evidence is that those who are hospitalised are the unvaccinated, sadly the irresponsible antivaxers will not accept this evidence and continue to believe the conspiracy theorists and the fake news merchants, so to those people, if you catch it please don’t overload medical staff in hospitals demanding medication and oxygen because you do not deserve it

Well said …..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

Most people don't care about COVID so much.

The massive problem we have here which is almost unique to Thailand is that they force isolate and lock people away at expensive facilities.

That's what killed the tourist industry in Thailand - the forced isolation / treatment centers and the expensive fees.

If they did it any other way then the tourist industry would be flourishing so they have caused this 100% themselves

You get what you vote for and you deserve every minute of it.

You're absolutely correct except your last line...... did they actually vote (democratically) for this shower of Muppets, so do they really deserve it?

Somehow, I think not.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

They'll be flying in in drops and dropping like flies, if this variant is as deadly as Delta. Even if people recover those who take up ICU's block others and regardless of beds in streets as we saw in the last wave there is a finite number of trained staff and some of them may succumb, sick , die or be forced to quarantine.

Severe Chinese style lockdowns my  be the sole solution, we'll soon know 13 million in Xian is the Petri dish. I don't think this regime  has the will cojones or discipline to really herd these pussy cats, all we can do is get vaxxed, mask up and hide, yet I foresee a New Year superspread.

It’s already started

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

Please igore that FB Antivax wizard behind the internet curtain.  Antivax only prolongs this virus because enough hosts keep it alive. How many of you had measles or polio?? None. And why?

You got that right! Part of me is hoping (cruelly) that these "FB Antivax wizards" get what they deserve. There have been a few of them have got Covid and publicly regretted their former stances (you'd need to search if you're interested to find them) but sadly most of them are too blinded to see the real truth.

What's really sad is that a few people one thought were intelligent are still anti-vax. Makes you reassess a lot of what you thought you knew about folk! 

Edited by VBF
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Surprise surprise looks like omicron is alive and kicking in Pattaya.

Being unofficially reported elsewhere that 50 people tested positive with ATK tests who attended a party.

Guy knows 3 bar managers and a bar tender who have also tested positive.

Let's see what happens.

Maybe they will have to continue their party at a hospital and it's going to be one hell of an expensive party....

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Can you expand on how they will detain you?

I was wondering that myself. What right do bar staff have, should you test positive, to hold you against your will until an ambulance arrives to take you to hospital?

Whole story reeks of a friend of a friend said.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Surprise surprise looks like omicron is alive and kicking in Pattaya.

Being unofficially reported elsewhere that 50 people tested positive with ATK tests who attended a party.

Guy knows 3 bar managers and a bar tender who have also tested positive.

Let's see what happens.

well  ................   that'll teach em  '

3 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

I was wondering that myself. What right do bar staff have, should you test positive, to hold you against your will until an ambulance arrives to take you to hospital?

Whole story reeks of a friend of a friend said.

It's reported on the PA forum.

Photo of a large folding billboard outside the bar with the testing requirements listed.

How long they are doing it for or how the mechanics work was not discussed.

Hopefully, another member of that forum can confirm.

58 minutes ago, VBF said:

You're absolutely correct except your last line...... did they actually vote (democratically) for this shower of Muppets, so do they really deserve it?

Somehow, I think not.

They definitely had an election and everyone who wanted to placed their vote.

I believe there was some swapping of allegiances by the MPs after the election which lead us to here - so yes, they voted for those who then backed the current group in charge.

As the PM pointed out, he didn't need those extra hand picked senators in the end anyway.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ozfarang said:

But hospital admissions are not increasing dramatically.

Australian cases nearly doubled over night but hospital admissions only up slightly and ICU and ventilator case were down marginally.

If Thailand follows a trajectory similar to Australia then their health system will cope

It's certainly looking hopeful but you need to include hospital workers who aren't working due to Covid and isolating as that will have an effect on hospitals being able to cope. Reducing the isolation period seems to be an option and would help if it's safe.

Tourism is a bit more difficult as any length of quarantine is going to effect arrivals. Hopefully the measures being taken now will have an effect quickly.

3 hours ago, VBF said:

Yes that is something I had not taken into consideration however it doesn't explain why everyone who gets Omicron and  is asymptomatic is required to isolate, not just hospital staff who come into contact with patients but transport, shop and other workers.  It's the "one-size for all" approach that is (IMO) damaging.

because someone who is infected but asymptomatic can still infect others, hence more burden on the medical systems and even the risk (even if it is smaller these days) of more deaths. simple!

2 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

because someone who is infected but asymptomatic can still infect others, hence more burden on the medical systems and even the risk (even if it is smaller these days) of more deaths. simple!

Granted - but in UK where people, including the others you mention, are vaccinated it must be time to start taking the minimal risk, because basically, if you're vaccinated testing positive doesn't matter that much. Its when you come into contact with UNvaccinated people that problems arise. And as I've said many times they deserve no consideration. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

They'll be flying in in drops and dropping like flies, if this variant is as deadly as Delta. Even if people recover those who take up ICU's block others and regardless of beds in streets as we saw in the last wave there is a finite number of trained staff and some of them may succumb, sick , die or be forced to quarantine.

Severe Chinese style lockdowns my  be the sole solution, we'll soon know 13 million in Xian is the Petri dish. I don't think this regime  has the will cojones or discipline to really herd these pussy cats, all we can do is get vaxxed, mask up and hide, yet I foresee a New Year superspread.

It is not the number of positive cases that matter but teh number of patietns with covid that need hospital treatment.  IN the UK the latest figures are:

cases: 

• 129,471Daily number of people tested positive reported on 28 December 2021
  • Last 7 days
  • Direction arrowTHERE HAS BEENAN INCREASE OF186,430(30.3%)

of those in hospital some 30% were admitted for other reasons and when tested in teh hospital found to have covid so they were not admitted for covid.

Deaths within 28 days of positive test

Latest data provided on 28 December 2021

Daily   18

• Last 7 days   588   Direction arrowTHERE HAS BEEN A DECREASE OF-220(-27.2%)

Furthermore the numbers tested in England are very high
      Daily:   1,582,378
      Last 7 days    10,665,352   Direction arrowTHERE HAS BEENAN INCREASE OF1,334,762(14.3%)