Omicron panic decimates Thai tourism "high season" - foreign tourists cancel, events scrapped, flights stopped, insurance woes

webfact

1 hour ago, Saanim said:

The positive cases are cases what of?

Why to care about the testing? The PCR tests are no longer recommended to be used after end of year.. Any other method should be used.

Pity only that CDC does not advise which one:

After December 31, 2021, CDC will withdraw the request to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of the CDC 2019-Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel, the assay first introduced in February 2020 for detection of SARS-CoV-2 only. CDC is providing this advance notice for clinical laboratories to have adequate time to select and implement one of the many FDA-authorized alternatives. 

---

CDC encourages laboratories to consider adoption of a multiplexed method that can facilitate detection and differentiation of SARS-CoV-2 and influenza viruses.

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html

The number i mentioned is the highest number of positive we registered in a single day. The cases has not yet been categorized, but at Dec 21 omicron represented 76% of the cases, so we're probably close to the 90s now.

As for the PCR tests.

I think you might want too read this one.

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/07/scicheck-viral-posts-misrepresent-cdc-announcement-on-covid-19-pcr-test/

11 minutes ago, VBF said:

I promise you common flu is alive and well! I've got it right now and just had 3 days of the usual runny nose, coughing etc. Now THAT I was hoping to avoid having had a flu jab, so it might be a bad cold....don't know, care little - will be OK tomorrow. (Oh and no, it's not Covid  ???? )

so I'm not the only one in this case! ????

Just now, candide said:

so I'm not the only one in this case! ????

Well at least 3 of my friends and neighbours have this cold, in fact I think I caught it from a friend i see fairly regularly.  "There's a lot of it about"

As I mentioned earlier, I took a test just to make sure it isn't Covid.

33 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Also their employment of foreign workers is intertwined with tourist visas and border-hops.  This is something they don't seem too keen to address either.

They blocked to borders to casual workers until they needed them.

There are officially bout 2 million foreign workers pre-covid. Pre-Covid tourists were 40 million and from a wider range of origins.

9 minutes ago, Virt said:

The number i mentioned is the highest number of positive we registered in a single day. The cases has not yet been categorized, but at Dec 21 omicron represented 76% of the cases, so we're probably close to the 90s now.

As for the PCR tests.

I think you might want too read this one.

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/07/scicheck-viral-posts-misrepresent-cdc-announcement-on-covid-19-pcr-test/

You might want to check the date of your "factcheck" and the CDC announcement:

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Well if you test positive its maybe because you farangs walk around brazenly WITHOUT MASKS…constantly in Big C , shops and soi baukhao.  Covid only looks for thais and ignores farangs so it seems.  I’d avoid soi baukhao like the plague unless i want to get covid.  

The U.S. 'could take a similar approach' as other countries, mask manufacturer explains

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/the-us-could-take-a-similar-approach-as-other-countries-mask-manufacturer-explains/vi-AASdfnf

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Lowest deaths for ages in UK. Milder variant plus vaccination appears to work.  If case numbers were an issue then we'd close down every time a cold does the rounds. Have to change our mindset on this one.

Thailand have to chance mindset and not put everybody in hospital who have running nose or nothing symptons! Even Thais are not so stupid that they not stay in home isolation few days if they get positive test result!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phukettrader said:

Yes, but it's NOT as deadly, is it. South Africa where it was discovered have basically called it a non event and in the UK, at least 40% of people testing positive had no idea they had it as they have no symptoms and are basically completely healthy!

So far, this moronic omicron variant is nothing more than a bad cold and could signal the end of the pandemic as the virus appears to be mutating into something harmless to the vast majority of people. If this is indeed the case, let's put an end to all this scaremongering from the media and these so-called "experts" who mostly all have a financial interest in keeping this going forever, and let people get back to normal without all of this BS. This should be something to celebrate.

Just let it run it's course and build herd immunity as lockdowns and passports and face nappies have done nothing to stop it. 

And you are one of the so-called ëxperts" ?

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Lowest deaths for ages in UK. Milder variant plus vaccination appears to work.  If case numbers were an issue then we'd close down every time a cold does the rounds. Have to change our mindset on this one.

Some are still a bit concerned.

https://www.reuters.com/world/whos-tedros-concerned-about-tsunami-cases-covid-19-variants-2021-12-29/

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Well at least 3 of my friends and neighbours have this cold, in fact I think I caught it from a friend i see fairly regularly.  "There's a lot of it about"

As I mentioned earlier, I took a test just to make sure it isn't Covid.

I took two ATKs, as they are not suposed to be fully reliable. ????

6 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

But the staff are not 'sick' are they. They have tested positive for a seemingly mild Coronavirus, and the vast majority are asymptomatic.

We'd have had staff shortages every year if we were testing and isolating for all Coronaviruses. 

Would you like to fly on an aircraft piloted by someone who was suffering from any kind of coronavirus?

Maybe you would. Maybe you've not seen how people can go from having a laugh one minute to fighting for their lives a few minutes later when their blood oxygen levels plummet. I don't know, but I do know from experience that flying staff love to fly.

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, Sydneydave said:

This study from Denmark shows that vaccine effectiveness against omicron wanes after 4 weeks. Beyond 4 weeks, vaccinated people are more likely to get omicron than unvaxxed. Could this be the ADE (antibody dependent enhancement) that we were warned these vaccines could cause?

From what I've read antibody dependent enhancement is massive and dramatic whenever it occurs. It would make people very sick, not just infected. I think that was the case with the much-awaited dengue vaccine.

1 hour ago, BusyB said:

Would you like to fly on an aircraft piloted by someone who was suffering from any kind of coronavirus?

Maybe you would. Maybe you've not seen how people can go from having a laugh one minute to fighting for their lives a few minutes later when their blood oxygen levels plummet. I don't know, but I do know from experience that flying staff love to fly.

Not quite sure what your point is here. Are you saying you think airline pilots should be tested for all Coronavirus illnesses, including colds? 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

The death rates are still twice what they were in June and rather than declining they are flatlining. However this is only a partial view. If the number os infections continues to rise at the current rate, mathematically it will mean that nearly everybody in England is infected. The resulting increase in hospitalisation would be too much for any healthcare system to handle and in turn will have a dire knock-on effect to other treatments.

the NHS treats all patients as equally as possible and doesn't send bills. Your doctor/hospital/treatment is not dictated by te amount of money you have, it is purely the best available at that time.

Thailand is not so lucky, hospitals vary regionally and depending on set-up - Government/private = high price or low-price/military etc. When it comes to how/who they decide treat there is no comeback and no check on ethics or practices.

2 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Decimates?? A headline written by someone else who doesn't know what's "decimate" means. For those in doubt, it means "to remove 1 in 10"; ie reduce by 10%. If only that were true!

No no no. 

Removing the 1 from 10 = 0

so headline is correct ????

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Or the Thai figures are complete BS.

UK and France 100K - 150K cases per day Thailand 2500 cases 

Do me a favour.

Agree, the are either kidding themselves or the General public with these figures... Or   the other reason is they are not testing people, so many will be walking around or tucked up in bed, and the figures not reported. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Agree, the are either kidding themselves or the General public with these figures... Or   the other reason is they are not testing people, so many will be walking around or tucked up in bed, and the figures not reported. 

there are many reasons why they should be right.

• Mask wearing
  • Social habits
  • Climate
  • Outdoor living
  • No handshaking 
  • Rate of evaporation of aerosol droplets
  • Obedience to regulations
  • Draconian government

I'm sure you can think of more.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Surprise surprise looks like omicron is alive and kicking in Pattaya.

Being unofficially reported elsewhere that 50 people tested positive with ATK tests who attended a party.

Guy knows 3 bar managers and a bar tender who have also tested positive.

Let's see what happens.

Got a feeling it's gonna let rip in Pattaya pretty soon, hearing more and more anecdotal reports of covid but a lot going under the radar so to speak for fear of authorities and reactions, eg closing premises, fines for breaking SHA+ rules etc I suspect. Rules with a stick and no carrot encourage the cases to go unreported and hidden.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JackGats said:

From what I've read antibody dependent enhancement is massive and dramatic whenever it occurs. It would make people very sick, not just infected. I think that was the case with the much-awaited dengue vaccine.

Yes, the dengue vaccine caused the death of some 6,000 people.

Could the increasing numbers of people currently ending up in hospital be indicative of a similar situation developing?

16 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I don't think TAT is to worried/panic about Omicron, this  morning was in Ao Nang beach 90% of foreigners not wearing masks, walking around like there's nothing to worry about and no police or any other government agencies around to check or enforce the regulations..... it will be fun after the holidays, let's see TAT's reactions/comments when the infections jump over the roof

Yep, pigheaded selfish foreigners that think they have the right to do what they want are the cause of the problem...one little pleb blatantly refused to wear a mask

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sydneydave said:

Yes, the dengue vaccine caused the death of some 6,000 people.

Could the increasing numbers of people currently ending up in hospital be indicative of a similar situation developing?

Try and read this article about the dengue cases and see if you still think it's even possible.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/05/03/719037789/botched-vaccine-launch-has-deadly-repercussions