Omicron panic decimates Thai tourism "high season" - foreign tourists cancel, events scrapped, flights stopped, insurance woes

webfact

1 hour ago, Virt said:

23228 positive cases which is record high daily number, but also high amount of tests are done, so test and you shall find.

If Thailand were to test as many people per 1000 population, that would be approx 2 million tests.

Imagine the numbers in Thailand if they tested 2 million Thais in a day.

The positive cases are cases what of?

52 minutes ago, farangkinok said:

Why to care about the testing? The PCR tests are no longer recommended to be used after end of year.. Any other method should be used.

Pity only that CDC does not advise which one:

After December 31, 2021, CDC will withdraw the request to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of the CDC 2019-Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel, the assay first introduced in February 2020 for detection of SARS-CoV-2 only. CDC is providing this advance notice for clinical laboratories to have adequate time to select and implement one of the many FDA-authorized alternatives. 

---

CDC encourages laboratories to consider adoption of a multiplexed method that can facilitate detection and differentiation of SARS-CoV-2 and influenza viruses.

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html

2 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

In view that they have had 20,000-30,000 Scandanavian cancellations that is unlikely.

People aren't interested in the Test-Wait-Maybe-Go-Hospital program.

Certainly not interested in Phuket when the monsoon season leaves it looking like a desolate damp squib for a large part of the year.

Glad you know it all...oh wait, the monsoon season doesn't start until June ????????????

2 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Well if you test positive its maybe because you farangs walk around brazenly WITHOUT MASKS…constantly in Big C , shops and soi baukhao.  Covid only looks for thais and ignores farangs so it seems.  I’d avoid soi baukhao like the plague unless i want to get covid.  

I don't like the soi Bua Khao creeps either, but do you think that Thai people are wearing masks when they gather at garden168, pork bbq etc...?

They're just as likely as tourists to transmit covid.

I am fed up with the continuous (fully vaccinated) tourist bashing here.

In France or UK, people are not continuously winning about  foreigners who brought omicron to their country

We are exactly in similar  situation as in April. Whomever you can blame for it, Omicron is already there in Isaan. 700 +cases according to the BaPo. And as in April, it will be the Thai people going on holiday who will diffuse it in the country.

• Thanks 1

Just when a fella started to think it was safe to go back out,it pulled me back in ! I'm much more apprehensive to travel through the bureaucratic covid  requirement hoops  then I am of getting the poison.

"We can learn a lot about how to manage COVID-19 from the classic movie Jaws".

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/joy-and-pain/202007/just-when-we-thought-it-was-safe-go-back-the-water

Edited by riclag

On 12/29/2021 at 11:11 AM, stigar said:

Well..they been warned allready.Close down this country rigth now.UK(just england)with 130.000 new cases..france 180.000 new cases.USA 580.000 new cases.And thailand only about 3000 new cases????

Come on..start testing and tell the real truth.

And so ? whatever people will say or do, nobody can stop the virus...

Just like Spanish flu the pandemic will stop when a weaker virus will show, and it's not you or anybody else who will decide it !!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Willy Wombat said:

A weaker version of the virus and governments around the globe are wetting their beds.

You would think we are on The Train to Busan the way people and governments are acting

Yeah, we kinda are. It's weaker and far more contagious so it kinda balances out. 

8 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Hey Ladies and gents,

You guys do as you please.

Best of luck.

I am 30 years in. I am done with being threatened by these lot.

Spent millions and millions.

I am OK. I am done with this country and luckily have a few quid left, 

I no longer accept this nonsense.

Oh no! You're leaving? We need rich guys like you to stay! Don't let the door hit you in the...never mind. 

8 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why close down the country? Hospitalizations and severe cases are dropping on a daily basis. 

No, that's wrong. Chances are things are about to get infinitely worse

8 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

It is far less deadly, so stop spreading fear.

The words of a renown epidemiologist, obviously

8 hours ago, Enzian said:

I'm planning next month to go with the gf to the farm near Khon Kaen where she has to attend to some government paperwork. I hope when I finally test positive it will be there. I'll isolate in her room, the only place for miles around with air con, and pull an "Israeli" if the authorities come attempting to drag me kicking and screaming to a hospital.

Wow... That's incredible and going Israeli is the icing on the cake. A true hero. Anyone?

8 hours ago, nickmondo said:

if everyone took the time to look more closely at Omicron.......nothing would be cancelled, and numbers will escalate.

Yeah, I think everyone know what's about to happen but you're THE glass half-full guy? 

Edited by Pinot

4 minutes ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

Thailand needs to understand that "we" are not coming because of all the uncertainty created by the flip flopping of gov't decisions to open vs close for tourists, because of all the added costs and hassles to get there, because of the added risks of being quarantined or hospitalised for false positives or mild symptoms, and because of the uncertainty of the airline industry. As much as I am not enjoying freezing my nards off in Canada right now, I can at least feel better about how much $ and hassle I have saved myself.

Some it up in a song ,"Don't worry be happy"! Can't say that if one is just starting to embark on a journey through  the unknown,while sleeping with your fingers crossed in hopes you are one of the lucky ones who escaped the wrath of being untouched by covid and the travel schemes misfortunes 

Unfortunately the Thai authorities haven't listened to advice and have a tendency to look at things from a "Thai-centric" perspective. Covid is a worldwide pandemic and Thailand doesn't always seem to appreciate this.

Around the world richer countries (Thailand's customers) have also failed to listen to the advice of science, just hoping they'd get away and stay popular by relaxing restrictions and now we are all paying for it. 

Thailand needs to make sure they are suitably vaccinated and have the hospital facilities to cope with the Omicron wave. They also need to realise that a major part of their economy (tourism) relies on free and easy access from people all over the world - something they can't achieve without proper preparation.

so far they have either jumped the gun or confused the issue with a plethora of regulations and contradictions.

Edited by Thunglom

2 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

They also need to realise that. major part of their economy (tourism) relies on ffree and easy access from people all over the world - something they can't achieve without proper preparation.

Also their employment of foreign workers is intertwined with tourist visas and border-hops.  This is something they don't seem too keen to address either.

7 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Yup.  We don't have the same nationalism and xenophobia as a method of control/appeasement in Western countries.

Ok, somehow I can understand that. But what about the seemingly numerous expats who are joining chorus to blame tourists on this forum?

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Also their employment of foreign workers is intertwined with tourist visas and border-hops.  This is something they don't seem too keen to address either.

With the various changes to visa rules over the last 10 years, they'll say they're trying to address that one.....they'll say! ????

1 hour ago, thaibook said:

It is not the number of positive cases that matter but teh number of patietns with covid that need hospital treatment.  IN the UK the latest figures are:

cases: 

• 129,471Daily number of people tested positive reported on 28 December 2021
  • Last 7 days
  • Direction arrowTHERE HAS BEENAN INCREASE OF186,430(30.3%)

of those in hospital some 30% were admitted for other reasons and when tested in teh hospital found to have covid so they were not admitted for covid.

Deaths within 28 days of positive test

Latest data provided on 28 December 2021

Daily   18

• Last 7 days   588   Direction arrowTHERE HAS BEEN A DECREASE OF-220(-27.2%)

Furthermore the numbers tested in England are very high
      Daily:   1,582,378
      Last 7 days    10,665,352   Direction arrowTHERE HAS BEENAN INCREASE OF1,334,762(14.3%)

People admitted to hospital are up by over 8%.

even if a smaller PERCENTAGE die, with the huge increase in numbers infected, the actual numbers being admitted to hospitals will increase. The figures above are w/e figures which are lower the weekday figures.

They are also the figures for UK and Thailand, whilst having lower figures has no reason to suspect there won't be a similar relative increase and concomitant pressure of their healthcare.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

With knowing the increase in cases and the decrease in deaths, is there a way to come up with a percentage figure for how much less deadly Omicron is?

Alex Sigal, a professor at the Africa Health Research Institute in South Africa, said on Twitter on Monday that if Omicron was less pathogenic as it looked to be from the South African experience, "this will help push Delta out".

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/safrica-study-suggests-omicron-enhances-neutralizing-immunity-against-delta-2021-12-28/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

Agreed. Time for most of us to just get out there and get on with life. The timid may stay wrapped in cotton wool if they wish, those who cannot be vaxxed have my utmost sympathy...the anti-vaxxers....can "do one!

It was already meant to be "vaccinate and learn to live with it".  Now we even have the possibility of a milder variant.  Maybe we should be flinging the borders open and getting people moving around like one big global pox party.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

It was already meant to be "vaccinate and learn to live with it".  Now we even have the possibility of a milder variant.  Maybe we should be flinging the borders open and getting people moving around like one big global pox party.

Not quite sure about the pox party, but we seem to be on the same page....as you say: "vaccinate and learn to live with it"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stigar said:

Well..they been warned allready.Close down this country rigth now.UK(just england)with 130.000 new cases..france 180.000 new cases.USA 580.000 new cases.And thailand only about 3000 new cases????

Come on..start testing and tell the real truth.

Yes, cases are surging but what about hospitalizations?  They will go down if it's like South Africa, the UK or USA.  And that's what matters -- assumes people are vaccinated.  If not, then yeah, hospitals will be swamped I guess.  Thailand is highly vaccinated now, though, according to the WHO.  So hospitalizations should be fairly low if the vaccines are as effective as they were in the UK.  All guesswork but based on evidence, not politics.  

52 minutes ago, Saanim said:

The positive cases are cases what of?

Why to care about the testing? The PCR tests are no longer recommended to be used after end of year.. Any other method should be used.

Pity only that CDC does not advise which one:

After December 31, 2021, CDC will withdraw the request to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of the CDC 2019-Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel, the assay first introduced in February 2020 for detection of SARS-CoV-2 only. CDC is providing this advance notice for clinical laboratories to have adequate time to select and implement one of the many FDA-authorized alternatives. 

---

CDC encourages laboratories to consider adoption of a multiplexed method that can facilitate detection and differentiation of SARS-CoV-2 and influenza viruses.

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html

There have been "worries" that common flu has been eradicated during Covid-19 pandemic.

It seems that the flu is staying happily with us, only some call it Delta (after they were tested by PCR).  Or Omicron?

1 minute ago, Saanim said:

There have been "worries" that common flu has been eradicated during Covid-19 pandemic.

It seems that the flu is staying happily with us, only some call it Delta (after they were tested by PCR).  Or Omicron?

I promise you common flu is alive and well! I've got it right now and just had 3 days of the usual runny nose, coughing etc. Now THAT I was hoping to avoid having had a flu jab, so it might be a bad cold....don't know, care little - will be OK tomorrow. (Oh and no, it's not Covid  ???? )

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VBF said:

I promise you common flu is alive and well! I've got it right now and just had 3 days of the usual runny nose, coughing etc. Now THAT I was hoping to avoid having had a flu jab, so it might be a bad cold....don't know, care little - will be OK tomorrow. (Oh and no, it's not Covid  ???? )

If you were tested by PCR you could have been included in the numbers of Covid-19 and your surrounding lockdowned.  See the CRC declaration above... 

Just now, Saanim said:

If you were tested by PCR you could have been included in the numbers of Covid-19 and your surrounding lockdowned.  See the CRC declaration above... 

I wasn't - I did a LF test at home - I might look stupid, but......

And CRC?????