What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2022)

CharlieH

A very British  Scandal

A very English  scandal

Two short mini dramas based on true even regarding famous  people and their fall from grace due the  hypocritical  morality of the time  regarding the status  of women and the status  of homosexuals in 60s Britain. Very  well  made and well acted

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

and every one ticks the right boxes eh Jing????

Not exactly but there is so much good stuff that if something doesn't hook you in, then just stop watching it with no regrets.

Television has moved on from Mayberry which never existed in the first place.

Edited by Jingthing

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not exactly but there is so much good stuff that if something doesn't hook you in, then just stop watching it with no regrets.

There are some good new shows ,its just i dont think its right that they shoehorn people into shows just to"tick a box" like making historical people black ,and that does not mean i dont like black actors ,Luther is one of my favourite cop series ,again i dont like it that they shoehorn in same sex married couples 2 of my cousins are gay and live with their partners ,the same when they put in "disabled" actors again to tick a box rather than as a genuine part of the show( sorry dont have any disabled friends or family ).

That is the problem i have with many of the new tv series.

but then i suppose i grew up in a different era ,when tv and film was there to entertain ,not to preach.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Does anyone know if its possible to download the complete series of 1833 its great ,someone posted  tinyzonetv ,went there but still only 3 episodes.

Here's the schedule.

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 15.07.16.png

Edited by recom273
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

We are living in a golden age of TV production especially  with regards  to drama. It started with Spielberg bringing his film crew and their talents to the small screen around  2oo4 to make 'Taken' which otherwise  would have been 'a ten hour movie'. Taken was a political  drama about alien abductions and set the ball rolling for bringing cinematic/film production standards to TV. Not just visual  but all round production  values including  script,  editing, cinematography, story, character etc etc...Taken is a gripping 10 part series about Alien abductions between 1945 to 1999...

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2021 at 7:25 PM, SpaceKadet said:

For those of you who still watch Disney+ releases, despite their despicable handling of Gina Carano, their latest, "The Book Of Boba Fett" is out. TBH, Boba is not one of my most favorite characters in the Star Wars universe, don't really understand why they make the series on him, but I'll watch it and see how it develops. However, Ming-Na Wen is also in it and she's one of my favorite action characters, so she might save the story a bit.

Chapter 2 (episode 2) has just been released.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The entire story line with the young Latina that can't act that he's forced to cast has me laughing out loud just thinking about her bad acting.

https://www.thefocus.news/tv/curb-your-enthusiasm-maria-sofia/

thats funny ? is it just me or does anyone else find it boreing?

Edited by ivor bigun
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

You have to understand the context. Start with the season episide 1. Different people have different tastes. Don't like it don't watch it.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I'm halfway through Ice Cold Murders: Rocco Schiavone season 1 (of 4). It's an Italian crime drama series set in the Alpine town of Aosta. Seems pretty good so far. Well worth a look IMHO.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6231158/

I really like this series - Rocco is a real cool guy, the setting is so cool, the stories are “nice” for a crime series - just one thing - each episode is 1.5 hours long! It’s like watching a movie. I watch one episode a week over a couple of nights. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ivor bigun said:

Everyone has different tastes.

I think it's the funniest show on TV.

It's also really clever.

It rates an 8.7 on IMDB so it must be doing something right.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The entire story line with the young Latina that can't act that he's forced to cast has me laughing out loud just thinking about her bad acting.

The line that still gets me laughing is when he shows Woody the cow, and Woody points out it is obviously a bull.

"He identifies as a cow" David explains.  Woody finds that acceptable.

In the Vindman episode LD's scene on the phone quasi-impersonating you-know-who is one for the National Archives!

13 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I have read so many times that this show is funny ,and i have tried it quite a few times ,but cant see anything funny in this guy ,i must be missing something as its been going so long .

I know what you're saying, there are acclaimed comedians who I just don't get.  A few nights ago I came across Louis CK's comeback performance.  If ten minutes goes by and I haven't laughed it's time to move on.  The only time I got a laugh out of him was after he got cancelled he said "what can they do to me now, revoke my birth certificate?"  I have a gift when it comes to comedians: if I don't like them they usually go on to fame and fortune.  Andy Kaufman, Chelsea Handler, Trevor Noah (years ago I found a CD of a performance of his at a street stall, and when I tried watching it I felt cheated of the 30b I paid for it), Michael Keaton...

Usually with LD you have to understand where he's coming from, and if you don't there goes the joke.  E.g. in the "No Starch, No Crease" clip above when he goes off on the Klansman saying "tradition" there is a whole level of reference involved, and that the Klansman approves of it is the icing on the cake.

9 hours ago, recom273 said:

I really like this series - Rocco is a real cool guy, the setting is so cool, the stories are “nice” for a crime series - just one thing - each episode is 1.5 hours long! It’s like watching a movie. I watch one episode a week over a couple of nights. 

Yes, the episodes are a little too long for me. As I've stated previously, I prefer 45-60 minute episodes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Yes, the episodes are a little too long for me. As I've stated previously, I prefer 45-60 minute episodes.

It’s worth mentioning - in addition to SBS, Walter presents .. on UK channel 4 is worth checking out. There are lots of really good foreign shows to watch. 

https://www.channel4.com/collection/walter-presents

This claims to be a full list, but I have seen others so maybe they have a limited run, 

https://www.channel4.com/categories/world-drama

I will make time for this sometime

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/sakho-mangane

You need a VPN or whatever folks use on their browser. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1