Bangkok Bank no New Accounts

21 hours ago, tuktuktuk said:

I didn't even know such a thing existed.  Not a bad idea.  I suppose it's pretty cheap.  Getting things done here can require incredible persistence.  

Why the farang fetish with this obstructive hostile bank ? The name,  blue color ……what iS the attraction?Constant stream of complaints about them and their ludicrous govt. type “requirements”. Embassy Letters, Work Permits…. total nonsense ….. having a laugh at fools bothering with them…..aka Anti Farang Bank it seems…….supposed to be Commercial !

SCB, UOB, KK are proper businesses will open bank accounts with Passport Only……….

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

She's a US Citizen.  We split our time between here and the US.  It wasn't blocked IP.  She could manage various payments and such, there just weren't statements.  We even made international long distance calls trying to solve it.  She handled it.  The answer was "impossible".  Sometimes she's a little like that lady in the Chumpae branch.  

Perhaps it is a download of activity rather than being called "statement"?  I do not have an account there but can not believe there is no method to keep track of account balance/activity.  But can say there is a reason I do not have accounts there as found customer service not to be a priority at the several branch banks family used several decades ago.  If really no way perhaps best she also opens a new account with a bank you can access online.

13 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

It appears person was trying to avoid the ATM fee for using card by having a teller pay money.  Some banks will do this - but many will not and tell you to use the ATM regardless - as contact not required to receive money can understand why branch did not want him inside.  

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What was the problem with your card?   A similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago when I asked whether my card needed activating fully, perhaps, as some local online retailers wouldn't accept my BBL debit card.  Some would.

She made an internal call then handed the phone to me as it was a matter that the call centre was able to easily check.

Card is refused by certain websites (Booking.com for example or particular hotels with Booking.com).

She did make the effort to dial for me, but no one answered after about 5 minutes so we went.

6 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Its just the Thai "thing",  aversion  to   doing anything resembling work,   that might   hold them up playing with their phone.

Certainly  not in banks. But  actually your generalisation  is a racist stereotypes  Gazing into mobile phones is pretty international phenomenon.

I get excellent, attentive support from my bank, Krungsri, and Internet  provider, 3BB. But if you have ever experienced the behaviour  you describe  by bank staff let us all know where

• Like 1

6 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Immigration is generally fine with joint accounts, but they do require - as you discovered - that such accounts contain double the balance normally needed, so for most people they're not a very attractive option.

I don't think Thai Immigration are generally fine with joint accounts. I think they are generally Not fine with them! However, some offices may accept a doubling of the required amount to be deposited in a Thai bank. ????

Edited by Chris.B

Hi guys

Opened 3 accounts many years ago at Bangkok Bank HO for me, wife and joint. I only had a tourist visa.

The joint and wife's accounts could be seen and used on the internet but not mine as I'm a farang.

Recently Kasicorn bank across from BB wouldn't let me past the door to open any kind of account unless I had a work permit..

Incidentally, my joint debit card expired whilst staying in Hua Hin and the BB branch couldn't replace it as it has to be done in the province where the account is, notably Bangkok in this case. They were very helpful and the point was true, luckily we had more cards.

9 hours ago, connda said:

How are you 'simplifying transfers' as the ACH transfer service is closed? 
Nowadays it's pretty much SWIFT or Wise.

Having a BKK bank account does simplify my transfers because they do allow large counter withdrawals without fees on my Schwab debit card.  I also have them deposit the proceeds directly into my account.  This transaction takes about 5 minutes not including any time waiting for my turn at the teller.

9 hours ago, khunjeff said:

The fees are very much part of the equation, especially with Wise, whose fees increase proportionally with the amount transferred (unlike SWIFT, which generally has fixed fees). Although Wise's headline USD rate today is 33.21, the actual effective rate that you get after fees is about 32.98 (plus or minus a couple of satang depending how you send the funds) - which compares unfavorably to today's Visa rate of 33.12. I occasionally use Wise because I can send larger amounts than I can get from an ATM, and it's simpler than SWIFT, but users shouldn't be fooled by the exciting rates that you can't actually get.

8 hours ago, Chris.B said:

I don't believe Visa or Mastercard operate International money transfer services so misleading of you to compare Wise's charges with them. ????

@Chris.B, I believe @khunjeff is referencing Visa/MasterCard exchange rate because it becomes relevant when you use a foreign debit card for ATM and counter withdrawals.  That method yields the most ฿ per US$ exchanged.  There are no absolutely NO fees.  You are correct about Wise's rates being slightly better on average than the Visa/MasterCard rates.  However when you add in Wise's fees, I end up getting more ฿ using a debit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Why the farang fetish with this obstructive hostile bank ? The name,  blue color ……what iS the attraction?Constant stream of complaints about them and their ludicrous govt. type “requirements”. Embassy Letters, Work Permits…. total nonsense ….. having a laugh at fools bothering with them…..aka Anti Farang Bank it seems…….supposed to be Commercial !

SCB, UOB, KK are proper businesses will open bank accounts with Passport Only……….

Kasikorn won't open an account for you unless you have a long term visa.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tuktuktuk said:

The problem with 10k and FBAR is that SCB will never give us monthly statements.  My documentation was my wife's hand written cryptic records.  We just stopped exceeding 10k after that.

I have two SCB savings accounts and getting statements is easy.  I do it using the SCB Easy app on my phone.  I do have one issue with the SCB statements.  For one of my accounts the balance is not shown on the monthly statement unless there was some activity on the account.  Now, I just do a small transfer via the phone each month to ensure I get the balance shown on the statement.  I'm planning on using that account to show funds for my retirement extension so I need the balance confirmed for every month.

If you're not good at setting up phone apps, SCB branch staff will likely help you with that.  Also ask them to show you how to use the app to get your statements as it isn't the easiest option to find on the app.

14 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

@Chris.B, I believe @khunjeff is referencing Visa/MasterCard exchange rate because it becomes relevant when you use a foreign debit card for ATM and counter withdrawals.  That method yields the most ฿ per US$ exchanged.  There are no absolutely NO fees.  You are correct about Wise's rates being slightly better on average than the Visa/MasterCard rates.  However when you add in Wise's fees, I end up getting more ฿ using a debit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.

Correct. I was thinking specifically about ATM withdrawals, since that's the method I use personally, but the Visa/Mastercard rates also apply when doing counter withdrawals.

Like many others on this forum, I use a Charles Schwab Visa debit card for most of my daily THB cash needs, and - since Schwab refunds all ATM fees - the effective rate (what ends up in my pocket, not the teaser rate) is almost always better than Wise.

I say "almost", because Visa and Mastercard update their rates daily based on the previous day's FX rates, while Wise updates continuously as rates change - that can lead to a disconnect (in either direction) if rates happen to be fluctuating a lot.

8 hours ago, Chris.B said:

No, you can't avoid the fees....

Cardless Withdrawal

Withdraw money from a K-ATM with no card. Secure withdrawal with a QR code scan.

Guide on Cardless Withdrawal from a K-ATM

Guide on Cardless Withdrawal from a KBank Services

Important Information

1. 1. Need to show your ID Card everytime to withdraw at KBank Services.
  2. 2. Daily withdrawal limit is not more than 5,000 Baht per transaction and total amounts are not more than 20,000 Baht.
  3. 3. Service fee 15-20 Baht per transaction , depends on the service agent.
  4. 4. Current accounts, savings accounts, and electronic savings accounts added on K PLUS can use this withdrawal service via K PLUS’s QR code.

You are looking at the wrong section of that guide - you clicked "KBank Service" (which is their system for doing banking transactions at Thai Post offices, for an additional fee) rather than "K ATM". Please see the attached screenshot.

Screenshot_20220102-230503.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 3:03 AM, chuang said:

Show them the MONEY..

This. Experienced this from SCB in 2010 at a local branch in South Pattaya.

Me: I would like to open an account here.

SCB: No sorry sir, we don't open accounts to foreigners at this time.

Me: So you're saying I can't open an account and xfer 16 Million baht here?

SCB (her eyes wide opened, she blinked): Sorry? How much you said, sir?

Me (repeating very slowly on purpose): Sixteen million baht.

SCB: One moment sir.

She rushed to the back spoke with the branch manager on duty on time for a minute or two, every 15 seconds or so they kept glancing in my direction presumably to make sure I didn't leave their premises. 

30 minutes later my account was opened at that SCB branch.

4 days later the money was wired into that account.

A week later I was called and sworn in SCB's main headquarters in Bangkok; they wanted me to sign documents that the money xfered in was mine and was not obtained fraudulently, probably something to do with money laundering.

TL;DR: I learnt on Day 1, if you want things to get moving in Thailand, SHOW THEM the money.

• Sad 1

A Kasikorn bank manager told me if you're an American they generally won't open new accounts for you because of all the paperwork involved with the US govt, supposedly money laundering laws. There are certain branches that will do it, depends on the manager.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

Yes, but you haven't added in the charges using a credit card, why not? Foreign transaction charges and interest payments. So how does Wise charges look now?

Secondly, I doubt very much if there is any foreign debit card that will let you change money free of charge. Name one and I will check it?

Just checked Barclays....
https://www.barclays.co.uk/help/cards/using-cards/charges-abroad/

2.99% foreign transaction charge!  Whoaa! No mention of this either by yourself or @khunjeff

Edited by Chris.B
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, NanaSomchai said:

This. Experienced this from SCB in 2010 at a local branch in South Pattaya.

Me: I would like to open an account here.

SCB: No sorry sir, we don't open accounts to foreigners at this time.

Me: So you're saying I can't open an account and xfer 16 Million baht here?

SCB (her eyes wide opened, she blinked): Sorry? How much you said, sir?

Me (repeating very slowly on purpose): Sixteen million baht.

SCB: One moment sir.

She rushed to the back spoke with the branch manager on duty on time for a minute or two, every 15 seconds or so they kept glancing in my direction presumably to make sure I didn't leave their premises. 

30 minutes later my account was opened at that SCB branch.

4 days later the money was wired into that account.

A week later I was called and sworn in SCB's main headquarters in Bangkok; they wanted me to sign documents that the money xfered in was mine and was not obtained fraudulently, probably something to do with money laundering.

TL;DR: I learnt on Day 1, if you want things to get moving in Thailand, SHOW THEM the money.

That could be a good trick to open an account if you just told them about the money, but never transferred it.

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Yes, but you haven't added in the charges using a credit card, why not? Foreign transaction charges and interest payments. So how does Wise charges look now?

Secondly, I doubt very much if there is any foreign debit card that will let you change money free of charge. Name one and I will check it?

Some U.S. financial institutions offer a Visa-embossed ATM Debit Card. Some of these offer ATM fee reimbursement. Fidelity and Schwab come to mind.

Some of these allow foreign (and domestic) cash advances from a financial institution. These are subject to daily limits, authorization and of course, your underlying account's balance.

“Cash Advance” means a Transaction in which you receive money back from a merchant or financial institution. Cash Advances do not include
ATM Withdrawals.

You get the daily Visa rate. (No 3% uplift)

There are no additional, hidden fees. No foreign currency fees.

It is the best option, better than WISE (by a not insignificant amount), better than a fee-free SWIFT, but there are daily limits (mine is $2,500, Schwab has a $15,000 daily limit) and branches here may or may not be completely fluent in this option.

It's come up here often over the years, I honestly didn't understand it fully until researching this recent thread...

https://aseannow.com/topic/1244162-us-to-thai-฿-thai-banks-and-schwab-visa/

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

It is the best option, better than WISE (by a not insignificant amount), better than a fee-free SWIFT, but there are daily limits (mine is $2,500, Schwab has a $15,000 daily limit) and branches here may or may not be completely fluent in this option.

I omitted that this method will probably not satisfy the monthly income foreign transfer requirements from Immigration.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, windas said:

Hi guys

Opened 3 accounts many years ago at Bangkok Bank HO for me, wife and joint. I only had a tourist visa.

The joint and wife's accounts could be seen and used on the internet but not mine as I'm a farang.

Recently Kasicorn bank across from BB wouldn't let me past the door to open any kind of account unless I had a work permit..

Incidentally, my joint debit card expired whilst staying in Hua Hin and the BB branch couldn't replace it as it has to be done in the province where the account is, notably Bangkok in this case. They were very helpful and the point was true, luckily we had more cards.

Suspect account is in wife name in that case as I had no issue adding my name only account to my previous internet joint account.  Have you tried to add account online?

22 hours ago, Russell17au said:

For some reason Aseannow would not allow me to edit my previous post so this is what I had edit.

Always go to the main bank branch for the province that you are in to open your bank accounts because the outer province branches are useless and do not have the staff with the knowledge that is needed. One big thing is that if you open the account in a different province to the branch that you use you will be hit with these "out of province" fees every time you use the account. Chumpae is in the Khon Kaen Province so go to the main branch in Khon Kaen and not one of the other branches.

Since the switch from the original Thailand-only ThaiVisa over to the broader ASEANNOW multi-country format, I have also noticed changes relating to the underlying mechanics/back-end of the system. Editing and deleting posts seems to be restricted. The forum now serves as an archive which is 'written in stone', a little like how facebook retain all the data even when an account is deactivated/removed. The key purpose/rationale for this? Open for speculation. So it would be advisable not to go 'keyboard warrior' during times of lowered inhibition such as when drunk!

Edited by TVBKK2020
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Certainly  not in banks. But  actually your generalisation  is a racist stereotypes  Gazing into mobile phones is pretty international phenomenon.

I get excellent, attentive support from my bank, Krungsri, and Internet  provider, 3BB. But if you have ever experienced the behaviour  you describe  by bank staff let us all know where

Off Topic 3BB are Terrible in Phuket. Used phone cabling & poor router positioning for our 5G upgrade so getting 100 speed not contracted 1000 for years.

Chalong office so bad explaining account status I didn’t understand anything and had no idea about my account so transferred it to my Thai lady.

Even then took hours for her to sort it all out. Not Economic to switch to True Infrastructure / Service.

3BB are Govt. Org. It seems……Service works better now but best to have AIS 4G Cellular as back up to 3 BB or True Wi-Fi……

4 hours ago, TVBKK2020 said:

Since the switch from the original Thailand-only ThaiVisa over to the broader ASEANNOW multi-country format, I have also noticed changes relating to the underlying mechanics/back-end of the system. Editing and deleting posts seems to be restricted. The forum now serves as an archive which is 'written in stone', a little like how facebook retain all the data even when an account is deactivated/removed. The key purpose/rationale for this? Open for speculation. So it would be advisable not to go 'keyboard warrior' during times of lowered inhibition such as when drunk!

Your last sentence does not apply because I was not going keyboard warrior during times of lowered inhibition such as when drunk as you presume incorrectly as I do not drink. The actual fact turned out to be a timeframe issue for doing edits.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Your last sentence does not apply because I was not going keyboard warrior during times of lowered inhibition such as when drunk as you presume incorrectly as I do not drink. The actual fact turned out to be a timeframe issue for doing edits.

I did second guess myself after hitting the 'submit reply' button. I was making food in the kitchen shortly after, and wondered to myself whether my comment had the possibility of being misconstrued (this can easily happen on the forum). I should watch the wording of my messages in future before pulling the trigger; I was making a generalised comment/suggestion - it was not meant to imply that you as an individual have or would go 'over the top' in the forums after a beer - but anybody. I can see how my message could be interpreted in the way you did though. These forums are full of 'personal' slights and digs which, quite rightly, are defended. You thought that my reply was one such 'personal poke'. Cheers and happy posting!

On 1/2/2022 at 3:23 PM, tuktuktuk said:

I'd at least like to make 25k transfers with minimal fees.  The Bangkok Bank deal worked that way 2 years ago.  That was using stepdaughter's account.  I suppose the Department of Treasury saw that as a loophole that needed to be closed.  I'll probably stick with frequent ATM withdrawals.  

I have a Schwab account as a backup but never use it for withdrawals as the convenience of Wise is hard to beat. I also use the Wise card for all purchases, in multiple currencies, and compared to all my other cards that never work for security reasons the Wise card never fails (true its a prepaid debit not a credit card but all cards should work when you need them). I actually had to use customer service for three disputes recently and they were so great I am happy to reward them by giving them all my business.  Talking to customer service is like talking to a friend not a retarded Indian robot.  

On 12/31/2021 at 2:47 PM, tuktuktuk said:

They said they're not creating new accounts right now because of the Pandemic.  It took the lady a long time to tell us that.  I don't speak any Thai, so my wife was doing the listening

Probably something was lost in translation. I’ve helped people open accounts which were also initially told “no”. The trick is not to ask to speak with the manager, but to understand what the real reason is. This pandemic thing makes no sense, and you say it took a long time to explain, so my guess is that more was said to your wife, and possibly your wife did not feel confident enough to challenge the initial rejection / find out what the real problem was, and how it could be addressed.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 4:20 PM, Vandk said:

Sorry to interrupt but you need a " resident of stay " from your immigration offices  to open a new account

No, not necessarily, depends on the bank and the branch.   I have accounts with five banks and have never needed an immigration residence certificate to open any of them, BBL, Kasikorn, KTB, Krungsri or UOB.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2022 at 4:26 PM, Chris.B said:
On 1/2/2022 at 4:23 PM, lopburi3 said:

You may or may not - have never had myself - Embassy letter is often used which can provide the same information - Yellow House book also can often be used.  And it may not even be asked.  The only sure thing is there is no sure thing.

Yes, when opening a bank account, why would the bank want to know where you live?

He didn't say that a bank wouldn't want to know where the applicant lives, there are other ways to show that information that do not require a residence certificate from immigration.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1