Hua Hin or Phuket?

I’m finally retiring after 60 years of work, and looking for a place to live for about half of each year.  The question is where.  The GF likes Hua Hin because she can drive from BKK and she fears the roads on Phuket.  I prefer the cleaner waters of the Andaman to the Gulf—I fear the jelly fish.  We both want privacy and beach rather than night-life.  She likes stores (a Blue Port or Jungcelon).  I like restaurants, cafes and bars. But we don’t need commotion.   (I spend the rest of the year in Manhattan and I expect she'll eventually join me.)  My favorite Thai destination is Andaman White Beach.  But we almost bought a villa in Pak Nam Pran a few years ago, close to its gorgeous beach on the Gulf.  I figure Phuket property sales and rentals are at least 25% higher than Hua Hin—a consideration.  Getting there is also more difficult.  And not having a car on the Island makes the taxi fares more insulting.  So which would you choose?  What am I missing?  Any advice?

Maybe try both for a month or two each without committing, then pick one as a base, and travel from there.   Does your GF have family in Hua Hin and is that a consideration?  Neither one will be normal for quite some time, so now might not be the time to conduct a trial on which to base a long term decision.  On Phuket you might be fine with a scooter or motorbike instead of a car, but of course there are many cars there and a bridge connecting to the mainland.  Not sure if there would be a difference between the two destinations in that regard.

With all do respect, you mentioned the need and likes of the GF, what is you decide along those wishes and one day said GF will be no longer in the picture? consider your needs and likes first and most, with the GF preferences in minds of course...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisP24 said:

Maybe try both for a month or two each without committing, then pick one as a base, and travel from there.   Does your GF have family in Hua Hin and is that a consideration?  Neither one will be normal for quite some time, so now might not be the time to conduct a trial on which to base a long term decision.  On Phuket you might be fine with a scooter or motorbike instead of a car, but of course there are many cars there and a bridge connecting to the mainland.  Not sure if there would be a difference between the two destinations in that regard.

GF's family is in BK with her, but its proximity to Hua Hin is the point for her, particularly for possible weekend or short trips when I'm in NY.  I worry more about getting around in Phuket.  GF won't drive her car down from BK, but that's not the problem.  We could rent but she says she would fear driving the twisting hilly roads of Phuket and I may need cataract surgery and a good deal of practice driving on the wrong side of the road before feeling comfortable doing it myself.  And at 81 I'm too old for a motor bike or scooter and at 40 she's too precious.

• Like 2

There are only two short twisting hilly roads on Phuket, one  not even a mile long the other one a couple of miles. I've been approx 30 times to Phuket and only once a week in Hua Hin. That explains enough I think but it is what you like. Visit Patong Beach and see if you like it, no need for a car or motorbike. Flying time from BKK one hour.

11 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

There are only two short twisting hilly roads on Phuket, one  not even a mile long the other one a couple of miles. I've been approx 30 times to Phuket and only once a week in Hua Hin. That explains enough I think but it is what you like. Visit Patong Beach and see if you like it, no need for a car or motorbike. Flying time from BKK one hour.

Well, we must have been on that road (out of Patong towards Phuket city?) 30 times last month and I could see how it scared her. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Don't think OP is referring to the same roads as you, since enjoy hanging out at Andaman White Beach.  Roads up there are a bit tricky, and with no transport, taxis would be at the silliest price.  Not pleasant for everyday living, unless staying in at resort and enjoying the beach.

Which, would depend on time of year. Surf too rough to swim in more than a few months a year. Agree with one reply, if buying, HH, then pop down to Phuket when wanting.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't think OP is referring to the same roads as you, since enjoy hanging out at Andaman White Beach.  Roads up there are a bit tricky, and with no transport, taxis would be at the silliest price.  Not pleasant for everyday living, unless staying in at resort and enjoying the beach.

Which, would depend on time of year. Surf too rough to swim in more than a few months a year. Agree with one reply, if buying, HH, then pop down to Phuket when wanting.

Thanks for the tip on the changing surf.  Just the kind of info I was asking for.  Are you describing Nai Thon Beach, NW Phuket beaches, all Andaman beaches including Phang Nga?  I thought this was only a SW monsoon problem (also jelly fish then). It was smooth as a lake most of last month.

I don't understand this popping down to Phuket from Hua Hin.  That would be a looong ride.  Few times I went from Hua Hin to Phuket it was by air--and via BKK.  Especially since GF doesn't want to drive, a non-starter.  Thanks also for the clarification on Phuket mountain roads.  I could do it, but wouldn't enjoy it as much as I used to.

Edited by habuspasha
corrrect

4 hours ago, DaLa said:

Cha Am ( 20 km up the road from Hua HIn) has plenty of clean beaches and a relaxed feel to it.  Also worth noting that there are a number of ex-Phuket residents in Cha Am that escaped from the 'mafia' situation in Phuket.

Good tip, but I thought Gulf waters weren't clear of northern sewerage up there.  I'm even concerned with water down by Pak Nam Pran.  Thought I'd have to get down to Ko Samui for clean Gulf water--which may be an idea.  

7 hours ago, tonray said:

That one hour turns into 4 or 5 hours with transit to and from airport, check in, security, etc. 

Exactly.  Plus days of anticipatory anxiety, brief terror, and hours to unwind for this Isaan girl who kept both feet on the ground before I entered her life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, habuspasha said:

Thanks for the tip on the changing surf.  Just the kind of info I was asking for.  Are you describing Nai Thon Beach, NW Phuket beaches, all Andaman beaches including Phang Nga?  I thought this was only a SW monsoon problem (also jelly fish then). It was smooth as a lake most of last month.

I don't understand this popping down to Phuket from Hua Hin.  That would be a looong ride.  Few times I went from Hua Hin to Phuket it was by air--and via BKK.  Especially since GF doesn't want to drive, a non-starter.  Thanks also for the clarification on Phuket mountain roads.  I could do it, but wouldn't enjoy it as much as I used to.

This, last, and next couple months are 'high season', and the Phuket surf is lovely.  May to Oct, not so lovely, to downright deadly, if swimming in.  Unless you surf, then might get a 10-20 second ride.

I live on the Gulf side, about 1 hr south of HH, and TBO, rarely swim in.  It's c r a p compared to Andaman Sea.  Lovely to look at though, most times, and gets rough also, like now and all of last month.  I go surfside every day with the dog.

Yea, it's a bit of a drive, HH - N. Phuket, about 10 hrs, but lovely once past PKK province into Chumphon & Surat Thani.  PKK, southern end looks nice also.  Easily broken into 3 days of driving, w/2 overnights.  

One overnight at Thung Wua Laen beach (#2 favorite swimmer's beach), with pitstop at Ban Krut beach (#1 Gulf beach) on the way to TWL beach, maybe a lunch stop, 2hr S of HH.

Second overnight at Ratchaprapha Dam area, or longer if wanting to overnight on the lake. Breaks it up, less than 4 hrs driving each day.

Roads are excellent, and wife would have no problem driving them.  Very relaxing way to drive down.  Actually road time, not much different than flying; 3hr to airport, 2h check, 1.5 hr flight, short hr out the door to hotel on Phuket, knocking on 7 hrs vs a great adventure to Un-seen Thailand or  shy of 10 hrs if driving straight through or fly ????

Change it up every year.  Been doing it for 20+ yrs myself.  Udon Thani - Phuket 2x, for 12 ish years, w/pit stops along the way.  Last 10 yrs avoided Phuket, too many tourist, though revisited 3 times this past 1.5 yrs during Covid and the best ever.

Last 10 years, southward, usually didn't make it past Thung Wua Laen or Ban Krut.  A few times looping around Phattulung, Satun, Krabi, Surat Thani, Ranong, and avoiding Ao Nang, Krabi & Phuket due to mass tourism.  Been great since covid though.

You definitely need to get out & about, if based in either HH or Phuket.  Again, roads are excellent, and your wife will have no issue.  Plenty of coffee / pastry stops with a view along the way.  Mine handles them, the roads just fine, and didn't drive a car till she met me, and about same age as your wife (45).

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Sorry, if you travel the length of the west coast on Phuket (say Bang Tao in the north to Rawai in the south, a distance of more than 30 kilometres) it is a constant roller coaster of hills and bends with only a few places where flat and straight roads are more than a few hundred metres long making overtaking difficult to say the least.   The main north to south road in the centre of the island is fine, dual carriageway, though can be busy during traditional 'rush hour' times.

• Like 1

I had rented a nice condo near Lumpini Park with a swimming pool, Lumpini is excellent for a stroll for they who like and you have bars, cafeterias,shopping nearby 24/7 and then taken long weekend/weeks even a month or two in either Hua Hin or Phuket now and then. Just my opinion and if Im here and could do so at your age I will.

Felt

Get a nice place in BKK and hire a van with driver for a week or two when you want the beach. 

I've never had any trouble driving in Phuket or anywhere in Thailand for that matter. 

It amazes me that someone that has no difficulty driving around BKK would be scared to drive in Phuket. 

Edited by Yellowtail
clarity

Cha Am is quieter than Hua Hin and has a much better beach. We wanted to buy there but prices were much higher than Jomtien and Supharnabumi and BK are much closer connected with an excellent tollway which Hua Hin is not. Expats with families tend to live on the dark side and Jomtien/Pattaya has everything an elderly expat needs. Hua Hin attracts more Thais than expats. A friend's family having moved to Hua Hin are now moving back to Jomtien as his wife (Thai) has not been able to make friends. Wouldn't dream of recommending Phuket to anyone. OK for a visit but it is a tourist island only-like a big theme park.

Edited by chilly07
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, habuspasha said:

Well, we must have been on that road (out of Patong towards Phuket city?) 30 times last month and I could see how it scared her. 

That's the road, if that scared her never take her to the real mountains. I've been by car on Stilfser Joch/ Passo della Stelvio between Italy and Switserland, 48 hairpins/2758 mtrs. That's scaring. Are you sure she has a drivers lisence ?

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

You've never seen tricky roads.

56 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Sorry, if you travel the length of the west coast on Phuket (say Bang Tao in the north to Rawai in the south, a distance of more than 30 kilometres) it is a constant roller coaster of hills and bends with only a few places where flat and straight roads are more than a few hundred metres long making overtaking difficult to say the least.   The main north to south road in the centre of the island is fine, dual carriageway, though can be busy during traditional 'rush hour' times.

I did that road several times on the motorbike and I liked it. If you call that a roller coaster go to the Alps for real ones.

32 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

You're right but not every week.

I'm not right every week or it's not a pleasant drive every week? 

Yeah, when you have have diarrhea and it's  pouring down rain, it is not a pleasant drive. 

33 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

While it is a long drive, I think it a pleasant one. 

From BKK, first 4 hours are boring as hell, until getting to Sam Roi Yot area, then some nice view of the hills to the west and limestone karsts. Rest of PKK province is nice, and beyond.  Taking a few days, or a long week, makes it quite enjoyable.  Use to have 3 months off a year, school breaks.  Then last 4 yrs, kid in Uni, so truly retired, to go anywhere, anytime.

Took advantage of covid & no tourists on Phuket, as would never have returned without covid.  Should remain nice for next 3 yrs, I'm guessing, before mass tourism even has a chance or returning, and that's without any further oops.  I suspect it will be a very long 'war on viruses'  ... great for me, bad for tourist area vendors.

• Like 1