Thailand’s Minister of Public Health officially proposes to Covid-Center to postpone resuming “Test and Go” until at least the end of January

webfact

4 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

How is this a minor issue? I've waited 2 years to come back to my home without having to do solitary confinement in a hotel first,

Your in Oz ...many in your boat and also the reverse..

I'm Oz and not seen my family for over 2 years. So it's common.

As for 7 days in a hotel.... certainly not nice.

My suggestion...suck it up and pay extra for quality room. It's a small price to pay to see family after 2 years. 

Statements such as "Thailand Sucks" sounds to me you are fish out of water. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Next few days will clarify the situation.

If it means more quarantine (7 days?) Then so be it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but recall in many of your threads and posts that your planning to obtain non O etc.

If that's the case this is minor issue.

As for those on short 1 to 2 month break it's not nice however imo were very foolish to travel to Thailand (unless had family here).

Many including myself were saying that even prior to Omicron

I agree with u.Thats why i booked a ticket late march.Can change it because its a open 12 months ticket.My next trip will be 3 months.Anyway im NOT going before this quarantene etc is gone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

Nothing wrong with a degree in engineering, I have 2.  It conditions a true engineer not to take anything at face value, to question everything and deal only in logic and science. So if you told me it was raining outside, I’d most probably have to go and check myself. Your average falang engineering degree also has a maths course content of about 90%, so statistics et al are a walk in the park. How do you think the experts model their predictions, with mathematical formulae of course?

Not that I’m defending the guy at all, his actions and statements go against everything I would expect of a true engineer, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he got his degree from that university at Khaosan Road, if he has one at all?

I didn't say that there was anything wrong with a degree in Engineering - only that he didn't have any medical qualifications, which if he had, would probably  help him to do his job as Health Minister. I also mentioned the fact that he had an awful lot of money - obviously an asset in obtaining a plum job with this Government!

And if the "experts" predictions from TAT are anything to go by, I would suspect that they indeed got their qualifications from Khaosan Road! However, I do acknowledge that their "predictions" in tourist figures would probably be better got from the bottom of a teacup rather than Mathematics with all the chopping and changes that this Government make to the rules regarding visiting this country!

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Your in Oz ...many in your boat and also the reverse..

I'm Oz and not seen my family for over 2 years. So it's common.

As for 7 days in a hotel.... certainly not nice.

My suggestion...suck it up and pay extra for quality room. It's a small price to pay to see family after 2 years. 

Traveling back after a Xmas trip to the UK on Feb 4.......just have to suck it up. Missing the wife. It is what it is.

Do you think there is any chance of sneaking out of the AQ hotel for a little RnR?

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Nah, Pattaya local, I said "Thailand Sucks" after 4th edit trying not to be banned for saying what I really think of Thailand right now lol

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Traveling back after a Xmas trip to the UK on Feb 4.......just have to suck it up. Missing the wife. It is what it is.

Do you think there is any chance of sneaking out of the AQ hotel for a little RnR?

Hopefully the "rules" are sorted out quickly..

We all dislike the way various ministers throw out statements prior to decisions being made.

Seems bit like "testing the water".

Assume your flight is booked.

If not, I would think about Phuket however my pick would be quarantine in Bangkok depending on family etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

We all dislike the way various ministers throw out statements prior to decisions being made.

If not, I would think about Phuket however my pick would be quarantine in Bangkok depending on family etc

Yes. Live in the land that time forgot, north of Chaiyaphum. So AQ in BKK will be the way to go.

Edited by Will B Good

7 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Nah, Pattaya local, I said "Thailand Sucks" after 4th edit trying not to be banned for saying what I really think of Thailand right now lol

Hopefully (possible quarantine)  will be quickly a distant memory after your reunited with loved ones.

For me personally I take zero notice of government etc ...

I stay same places when traveling in Thailand and never ceased to be amazed with Thai friendliest folk.

Edited by DrJack54

What is happening to him ????..... this is a first sensible thing he propose , as Thailand is not ready to coop with such a  very contagious Omicron virus , .... postponing is not cancelling it for ever ..... just a careful action . ????

For once a  good proposition from him !

Edited by david555
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

Good.  Safety first and masks up!

Really?? Safety first should start in Thailand itself. Mask up…..you must mean all the $&$& local farangs that walk around oblivious to covid. Thais mask up.  Arrivals bring minimal risk and. mask up. 

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Just checked with my Hotel here in Sathorn that I am booked with under the TNG scheme for my return in February.  They said if the rules do change for those of us booked and already approved on the 1 night TNG they will ensure I am notified and given a new rate that will not break the bank. Can not ask for anything more.  Being in a large suite with views etc... makes up for not being to go out until allowed, and I do understand.  It was why I booked what I did. My round trip flight to the US is also fully refundable if the world suddenly closes up.

5 hours ago, Screaming said:

This is a good idea. There are many foreigners that are entering Thailand with the new brand of Covid. I would like to see a fourteen day quarantine also reinstated for new entries. The January 15 opening of bars should also be moved up until the middle of next year on the new fears of covid.

Are you screaming mad??…..many farangs bringing in covid.  Put a number on that.  (0.02% of arrivals).  How about you do 14 days whilst being triple vaxxed and even with a O variant wont be sick for more than a few days ….the CDC has recommended 5 quarantine vs the 10 and you want throw the book at arrivals.  How about the local population sorting out its covid problems first.  And the MANY MASKLESS EXPATS …… 

Edited by Bkktodd

There are always posts about Anutin's lack of qualifiacations to be a health minister. Is that any different to the rest of the world? Sajid Javed, the UK equivalent, has a degree in politics and economics and a career in banking. Government ministers are really spokespersons and overall managers for the departments of which they are in charge, the real work being done by the civil servants.

However, Anutin does give the impression of being a maverick that comes up with these decisions himself, in the same way that unelected provincial Governors who also lack experience in the health sector also seem to make uninformed decisions based on a whim.

This latest announcement is not unexpected but again screws up the holiday plans of many tourists, not to mention many businesses reliant upon these tourists, often small businesses who have shamefully been totally unsupported by the Governement.

But, of course, this is Thailand where announcements are not co-ordinated and are often overridden within a day or so. Nothing should be taken as fact until it has been formally announced by the CCSA.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It was why I booked what I did. My round trip flight to the US is also fully refundable if the world suddenly closes up

Good move.

Aware of your reasons for travel and compelling.

Good luck with trip to USA.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, madmitch said:

There are always posts about Anutin's lack of qualifiacations to be a health minister. Is that any different to the rest of the world? Sajid Javed, the UK equivalent, has a degree in politics and economics and a career in banking. Government ministers are really spokespersons and overall managers for the departments of which they are in charge, the real work being done by the civil servants.

However, Anutin does give the impression of being a maverick that comes up with these decisions himself, in the same way that unelected provincial Governors who also lack experience in the health sector also seem to make uninformed decisions based on a whim.

This latest announcement is not unexpected but again screws up the holiday plans of many tourists, not to mention many businesses reliant upon these tourists, often small businesses who have shamefully been totally unsupported by the Governement.

But, of course, this is Thailand where announcements are not co-ordinated and are often overridden within a day or so. Nothing should be taken as fact until it has been formally announced by the CCSA.

Agree wholeheartedly.

The difference I guess, as expats, is that we are more familiar with professional, nuanced signaling from western politicians who wish to avoid actual saying anything.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

I’ll second that!! Or possibly part of the ‘I’m alright Jack’ brigade?

Definitely insane. People such as this should keep quiet because they have no idea and don't know what they are talking about.

56 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

TP can be used for delays of up to 72 hrs. Bring your flight forward, new TP 

Is this confirmed through an official statement or maybe even your personal experience? I am thinking that you are correct in saying that we cannot simply now bring the flight forward by 72 hours. Ideally we get a definite answer on that. I am trying to get through on the Thailand pass hotline, however, still no luck.

Another thought… what happens if we do turn up at the airport 72 hours before our approved test & go date, and in the worst case the airport official denies the test & go stay for whatever reason… what would actually happen? Is it fair to assume that they will insist that I stay at the booked hotel for 7 days then? If yes, we could just try to get it before the 10th and then simply see what happens…best case test & go is accepted, worst case we do AQ which we would have to do anyway if sticking to our original travel dates.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Normally id agree with you but the horse has already left the barn. Omicron is here and spreading so no real point anymore to all of this. People tested a few times are far less likely to have it then the population in Thailand.  I am not 100% because the test numbers here are so low we just dont know nobody wants to be tested and locked up.

But if it is already spreading like so many say what is the point then ? Ok maybe to prevent even more covid carriers inside Thailand but not to stop Omicron.

But in Europe and U.K. they are speed jabbing boosters , and Thailand even  not yet prepared enough with vaccinations alone  ....a big difference for judgment in Omicron being dangerous or mild ....is the booster factor  that is  why his decision is good to prepare mean time for boosters .

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

Really?? Safety first should start in Thailand itself. Mask up…..you must mean all the $&$& local farangs that walk around oblivious to covid. Thais mask up.  Arrivals bring minimal risk and. mask up. 

Today my lady birthday.I just talked with her and her family.Everybody wearing masks outside.In her party JUST nearest family.Parents and kids.Inside the home.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Screaming said:

This is a good idea. There are many foreigners that are entering Thailand with the new brand of Covid. I would like to see a fourteen day quarantine also reinstated for new entries. The January 15 opening of bars should also be moved up until the middle of next year on the new fears of covid.

Maybe its Thai People that are getting Foriners sick? Maybe its the illegal Burma people. How do you know.  You sound like a Thai Person. Fix your Roads first, then maybe Thailand will be. a safe country. 

1 hour ago, katatonic said:

Maybe both of you could bring your flights forward to the 10th? Thailand Pass is still valid for 72 hours either way.

Is this official or just " hearsay" some are saying you can only change your arrival 72 hours after your official arrival time. Wish someone could give the official version. My friend is due to arrive on the 11th Jan at midday.