Expert Predicts Rise in COVID-19 Cases But Herd Immunity Possibility From Omicron

snoop1130

Heard immunity, nature's hundred thousand year old remedy, nowt wrong with that and it lets the powers to be off the hook with their woefully inadequate vaccine attempts but I have no doubts they will claim victory as it was all their idea ????????

• Sad 1

Who remembers back in the day before the current state of modern witchcraftery science when if you had an uncle with mumps, or a cousin with chicken-pox, your Mum would drag you around to their place so you could get infected and develop immunity.

Ok, they dodged the measles and TB, but that was the way of the world.  Mind you, we were allowed to hurt ourselves on school play equipment and learn from mistakes made back then. I think I had scabs permanently on my knees from age 5 thru 16.

My biggest lesson was never ride a bike with a dodgy cotter pin holding on the pedal, but happily lend it to your mates.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Not 100% no, I do not.......firstly I am not medically qualified to say some of his predictions are good. I do not agree the Covid has 'evolved', for one. Also advising people to 'not to be too worried' may be bad advice. We still have elderly and unwell people to be concerned about. 

When the virus' strain Delta took off, it was a given it was going to go that way, it was just a matter of time, as it was a matter of time that it would become weaker and endemic, e.g. a new strain would emerge, a weaker strain, Omicron, albeit one that would spread much quicker than any other, hence the reason we are now in an endemic, which usually takes 2 years.

This is Coronavirus history 101 repeating itself, just look at the last 4 pandemics and how they became endemics and how long it took for them to become endemics.

As for the Dr speaking up early if you like, kudos to him for having the balls while others like politicians and main stream media keep spitting out what they like for their own purposes, make of that what you like as that is another story and as we are not on the same page as this, I will leave that there.

Regarding the elderly, why do you think we get our annual Influenza shots and Pneumonia shot every 5 years followed by the Pneumonia booster the following year, because our immune systems become weaker as we age, that said if you don't believe we are entering the endemic stage where this virus is now a cold/flu, then that is up to you, and if you feel a booster is the way to go for you, then whatever floats your boat, as for me, I will sit on the fence and allow it to come my way and see where I end up, putting the worst behind me, in other words, I will allow my B and T cells to have a go as the vaccines have played their role, now it's up to my immune system to take on this weaker strain of the virus.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

That's the first rational thinking doc that made a news-blip without all the fear monging. ????

So I'll continue to social distance till this virus mutates itself down to flu level, which is just about where it's at now.

Without the need to inject untested (long term) shots in my body 4 or 5 times.  No worries of adverse effect now or in the future.

That's a win win for me

Edited by KhunLA

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Dr Manoon believes the Omicron strain will eventually infect everyone, whether they have been vaccinated or not, causing entire populations to achieve herd immunity.

Interesting.  I stated pretty much that same thing when reports of Omicrom were coming out of the South African front-line medical community indicating that Omicron was extremely infectious but produced a mild or asymptomatic illness.  That in turn made for insinuations that I was a very bad and heartless man for inferring that the population may be better off if Omicron is allow to run its course, which as Dr. Manoon states, means that it will probably infect everyone anyway - so instead of fearing it - embrace it.  Let's get over with it and get back to old normal.
I'm in the generation who attended chicken-pox parties.  The effectiveness of that approach isn't lost on me.  Or we could, I guess, insinuate that generations of parents who purposefully exposed their kids to chicken-pox were very bad and heartless parents.

Dr. Manoon is not the only doctor worldwide now making the same statements.  My guess is that this will be more and more widely accepted - except - by those who will be financially impacted by the advent of natural immunity base herd immunity, in other words pharmaceutical companies.  When their stocks crater they will scream for intervention by the CDC, the WHO, and other agencies subject to regulatory capture. And everyone with a financial stake in pharmaceuticals will show up in attack-dog mode.  Countries like Thailand who have been decimated financially (third-world and developing nations) may likely be more open to letting this milder variant run its course, at least in some quarters where rational medical minds still exist.  And like colds and flus - SARS-Cov-2 is going to be around forever - just in a less virulent form.  A concept that used to be widely understood in modern virology but got hijacked in the last couple of years.

Colds and flus have ended the lives of the elderly and immune compromised forever.  That's just nature.  And when people accept SARS-Cov-2 in it's evolving less virulent forms as just another cold or flu - we can all get back to living life as we use to.  And the elderly, immune compromised, and anyone else who feels the need can get their annual flu/covid shots.

Edited by ArcticFox

8 minutes ago, transam said:

But wait, have a look at your herd immunity and life expectancy in the periods below ....????

Doesn't look good to me...

life_expectancy_globally_since_1770.jpg.c6d181baaef0fc7cf9b38c1c85aabd38.jpg

That applies to country your born in, and lived majority of your life.  So do I fall into the USA/Americas, or Asian part of the chart.   Or split the difference of 1/3, since here for just over 33% of my life.

Or, since most things that bring down the average life expectancy age, happen in the first 2/3 of life, am I way ahead of the curve already.

Hmm ... I'll have another Bailey's as I ponder this mystery ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DoctorB said:

What he says is irrelevant. What matters is what the politicians and others with an interest in keeping their hands on the levers of power decide. As some cynic remarked, "Power is a ratchet, not a pendulum". Or, to quote Winston Churchill, "Never let a good crisis go to waste". They will keep this going for a long time yet.

I often wonder how many years they will continue to ask we remove our shoes at airport security checkpoints.  Yes, they never let go once they sink their teeth in.

1 minute ago, chilli42 said:

I often wonder how many years they will continue to ask we remove our shoes at airport security checkpoints.  Yes, they never let go once they sink their teeth in.

If they let that go, then you will invite nut jobs again...????

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That applies to country your born in, and lived majority of your life.  So do I fall into the USA/Americas, or Asian part of the chart.   Or split the difference of 1/3, since here for just over 33% of my life.

Or, since most things that bring down the average life expectancy age, happen in the first 2/3 of life, am I way ahead of the curve already.

Hmm ... I'll have another Bailey's as I ponder this mystery ????

It covers most nationalities here....????

12 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

Interesting.  I stated pretty much that same thing when reports of Omicrom were coming out of the South African front-line medical community indicating that Omicron was extremely infectious but produced a mild or asymptomatic illness.  That in turn made for insinuations that I was a very bad and heartless man for inferring that the population may be better off if Omicron is allow to run its course, which as Dr. Manoon states, means that it will probably infect everyone anyway - so instead of fearing it - embrace it.  Let's get over with it and get back to old normal.
I'm in the generation who attended chicken-pox parties.  The effectiveness of that approach isn't lost on me.  Or we could, I guess, insinuate that generations of parents who purposefully exposed their kids to chicken-pox were very bad and heartless parents.

Dr. Manoon is not the only doctor worldwide now making the same statements.  My guess is that this will be more and more widely accepted except by those who will be financially impacted by the advent of natural immunity base herd immunity, in other words pharmaceutical companies.  When their stocks crater they will scream for intervention by the CDC, the WHO, and other agencies subject to regulatory capture. Countries like Thailand who have been decimated financially (third-world and developing nations) may likely be more open to letting this milder variant run its course, at least in some quarters where rational medical minds still exist.  And like colds and flus - SARS-Cov-2 is going to be around forever - just in a less virulent form.  A concept that used to be widely understood in modern virology but got hijacked in the last couple of years.

Colds and flus have ended the lives of the elderly and immune compromised forever.  That's just nature.  And when people accept SARS-Cov-2 in it's evolving less virulent forms as just another cold or flu - we can all get back to living life as we use to.

Of course, there will be that 20 or 30% of the population who simply want to live in a medical dystopia forever as that form of governance makes them personally feel safe, even if it shreds economies and basic human rights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 300sd said:

Don't think one should believe everything they read.

There are dozens of other news articles citing the same research. I could have just as easily posted a link to the research paper itself but chose a more readable summary.

1 hour ago, Gsxrnz said:

Who remembers back in the day before the current state of modern witchcraftery science when if you had an uncle with mumps, or a cousin with chicken-pox, your Mum would drag you around to their place so you could get infected and develop immunity.

Ok, they dodged the measles and TB, but that was the way of the world.  Mind you, we were allowed to hurt ourselves on school play equipment and learn from mistakes made back then. I think I had scabs permanently on my knees from age 5 thru 16.

My biggest lesson was never ride a bike with a dodgy cotter pin holding on the pedal, but happily lend it to your mates.

Yes I do remember when my mum sent me to pay with kids who had chicken pox and I was reminded about it recently when I had eye herpes following a routine cataract operation which nearly cost me my eyesight. The doctors told me that childhood chicken pox was to blame. Every time I go to a doctor I see posters about shingles, a debilitating disease which mainly afflicts the elderly who had chicken pox as a child. Witchcraftery, huh?

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i read several news web sites from different countries. amazing how they all publish the same health news

at the same time. i am not a fan of

any conspiracy theories. just amazing to see how there is really one small group

of people who decide for billions others, tell them what is "going on", and what is they got it wrong?

Do tell, what was "decided" here in the doctor giving his opinion?

32 minutes ago, Pinot said:

Flu will kill 50,000 people a year. Omicron will kill 450,000 it is estimated. It's nine times more deadly than the flu. You're wrong. Dead wrong. 

One shot of flu vaccine is highly effective. Not the case with the covid vaccine. The next month will see a huge increase in covid cases. The hospitals will be overwhelmed. DO NOT TREAT THIS LIKE A COMMON COLD OR FLU. 

50,000 flu deaths? I thought the number of yearly flu deaths was Alot higher than that. It's Alot closer to 500,000 than 50,000.

Edited by Daithi85
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

Dr. Manoon is not the only doctor worldwide now making the same statements.  My guess is that this will be more and more widely accepted except by those who will be financially impacted by the advent of natural immunity base herd immunity, in other words pharmaceutical companies.  When their stocks crater they will scream for intervention by the CDC, the WHO, and other agencies subject to regulatory capture. Countries like Thailand who have been decimated financially (third-world and developing nations) may likely be more open to letting this milder variant run its course, at least in some quarters where rational medical minds still exist.  And like colds and flus - SARS-Cov-2 is going to be around forever - just in a less virulent form.  A concept that used to be widely understood in modern virology but got hijacked in the last couple of years.

Colds and flus have ended the lives of the elderly and immune compromised forever.  That's just nature.  And when people accept SARS-Cov-2 in it's evolving less virulent forms as just another cold or flu - we can all get back to living life as we use to.

It's not just a cold though- nearly but not quite.

Whilst Omicron does not seem to pose the same catastrophic challenge to some healthy people as Delta does, there are plenty of people around who are not healthy including the obese.  So, the hospital wards will still fill up, and at a frightening rate.  Thankfully, though, intubation seems to be required only in a minority of cases, and that's a big reason to be cheerful.

I do agree, having this Omicron running through the population is probably the best solution, but it's not the sort of conscious choice one makes, and that's why countries like China and Thailand are in a sticky situation.  

23 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

Based on what model?  Because that prediction is a model.  The Imperial College 'scare' modelling has been getting this wrong since March 2020. 

By the time we hit 2025, my guess there is going to be a revolution in medical ethics driven by events over the previous 5 years. 

Proof or lies? You challenged the modelling yet declined to provide a shred of evidence which supports your challenge. Incredible.

15 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It's not just a cold though- nearly but not quite.

Whilst Omicron does not seem to pose the same catastrophic challenge to some healthy people as Delta does, there are plenty of people around who are not healthy including the obese.  So, the hospital wards will still fill up, and at a frightening rate.  Thankfully, though, intubation seems to be required only in a minority of cases, and that's a big reason to be cheerful.

I do agree, having this Omicron running through the population is probably the best solution, but it's not the sort of conscious choice one makes, and that's why countries like China and Thailand are in a sticky situation. 

We currently have a baby who is severely unwell in hospital because of omicron in my small town. Intubation in anybody isn't cheerful.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Yes I do remember when my mum sent me to pay with kids who had chicken pox and I was reminded about it recently when I had eye herpes following a routine cataract operation which nearly cost me my eyesight. The doctors told me that childhood chicken pox was to blame. Every time I go to a doctor I see posters about shingles, a debilitating disease which mainly afflicts the elderly who had chicken pox as a child. Witchcraftery, huh?

You should have been up to date on you shingles vaccinations.  They are available. 

The reason your parents exposed you to chickenpox as a kid was because if you got it as an adult it is a much more serious problem and your parents (that generation) understood that fact.

But since the 1990s?  Everyone can get a chickenpox vaccination. 
And having had chickenpox as a kid, I'd much rather have had a shot.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Proof or lies? You challenged the modelling yet declined to provide a shred of evidence which supports your challenge. Incredible.

Drop the following search terms into Google and do your own reading.
"Imperial College London 500,000 deaths covid model"

Goodbye.

10 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

You should have been up to date on you shingles vaccinations.  They are available. 

The reason your parents exposed you to chickenpox as a kid was because if you got it as an adult it is a much more serious problem and your parents (that generation) understood that fact.

Shingles vaccinations here are free for the over 70's but cost a bit less than AUD $300. My point was that it seemed you were suggesting that "natural immunity" through infection to those and all diseases was still the best option. If that wasn't your intention then I apologize. It does seem now that you recognize the value of vaccinations.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

Drop the following search terms into Google and do your own reading.
"Imperial College London 500,000 deaths covid model"

Goodbye.

All the anti vaxers say that. It's a dog at my homework response. In general it's a red flag for came from a conspiracy theory or pseudo science site. You could at least have mentioned that the study came from the Imperial College, better than nothing at all which is what we had to put up with.

edit: I could find nothing from the Imperial College which supported your claim. Do be so kind as to provide a link, it's basic forum etiquette.

Edited by ozimoron

16 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I think you'll find he just copied this from those EU experts who have already stated similar, hardly knuckleheads:

Tyra Grove Krause the chief epidemiologist at Denmark's State Serum Institute

Omicron is here to stay, and it will provide some massive spread of infection in the coming month. When it's over, we're in a better place than we were before.'

But while infection numbers in countries with the variant are soaring, the expert said that the highly infectious Omicron appears milder than the Delta variant, and therefore more people will be infected without having serious symptoms.

As a result, she said, this will provide a good level of immunity in the population.

With this train of thinking, I wonder how long it will take the hospitals in Denmark to overflow with patients. Oops....

16 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

There is no cure for Shingles. 

• Thanks 2