Customer gets maggots in their duck dinner: "What more do you want - I already gave you a discount", says owner

webfact

"The restaurant was not named. In defamation crazy Thailand even proving your case might be pointless." 

A spill-over from the US; what a farçe. I - for one - would drop the name in capital letters by posting for an anonymous account and, in all fairness, if the customer can prove the case (as in this particular matter) then it is clear. 

For once something they cannot stick onto the back of a dirty farang or an alien! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Reminds me of the old "Waiter Waiter there's a fly in my soup" joke.

But on a serious note, this type of story is exactly why the "Quality tourists" won't be flocking here any time soon. They need to address this type of thing first, and then they can move onto the type of first world service that quality tourists expect, such as waiters being able to explain a bit about what type of wine is on the menu. Wine being served at the correct temperature, meals being served to diners at the same time instead of 20 minutes apart etc.

On the bright side, at least the customers weren't assaulted for complaining.

You forgot, American man was jailed for posting a bad review in Thailand!

Amazing Thailand

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/29/american-wesley-barnes-faces-prison-thailand-bad-hotel-review

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This is a perfect example of Thai attitude to paying customers compared to the way Western-ownership businesses operate. I experienced the latter at Scruffy Murphy's in Bangkok when dining with my sister. We ordered roast chicken and mine was stone cold as if just taken out of the fridge. The manager was summonsed, the meal was replaced and not charged for and we both received not only an apology but an Irish coffee each. Another example of Thai vs Farang service is that a farang-run business knows that when people come to dine together they come to dine together, not for one to receive their meal and finish it before the other meal arrives. I've lost count of the times that's happened. All too often, outside of five-star establishments Thais haven't got a clue about service.

Wouldn't include 5 star, many don't have a clue either, dinned at a "posh" restaurant in phitsanulok last Monday evening, first 2 choices - sorry not available, one was Angus steak the other was a simple spaghetti dish, re-ordered - first dish arrived that was supposed to have rice with it, after 5 minutes we had to get up and ask for the rice, second dish appeared about 10 minutes later, simple Thai dish, the 3rd dish arrived after about a further 20 minutes, standard grilled dish on a platter supposedly with spirit heater underneath - not there. The restaurant wasn't even busy that night. 

Left a very pointed review on their website. 

Edit: just checked their website, rated 3 star - would suggest that out by a factor of 3.

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, JonnyF said:

But on a serious note, this type of story is exactly why the "Quality tourists" won't be flocking here any time soon.

So the quality tourists read the Thai press and  holiday in that well known tourist area of Prahum Thani? ???? 

Edited by PremiumLane
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, mikebell said:

After a celebratory birthday party, my wife found a dead (drunk) lizard in her wine glass.  The owner gave us 90 baht off out 6000+ bill. This was at our usual beachside place where we had been many times before.  We stopped going there; I reckon his parsimony has cost him over 100,000 and still climbing.

Stop drinking ???? 

Counter proposal:

I would offer the +40 thb for the owner in exchange to watch him eat up what he was cooking, with a big smile.

No defamation in that, and gets likes on TikTok too.

Following the Thai laws logic, such act must bring in customers too, as opposite to a dissatisfied diner's experience. Right?

Not right! Time to get rid of those clinging to these dinosaur of laws, and protect the customers.

As a side note: in 3 weeks hassle with a major PC seller, to send a technician to repair a hardware issue, from day 1 of receiving my new Pc. Never mind it is sold with 3 yrs premium care onsite!! And a list price of 80k!!

Customer comes last here.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tandor said:

...why single out Thailand...happens everywhere there is food...all about food hygiene and handling.

Gosh, possibly because the news item is about a maggot infested Thai duck (probably with Chinese ancestry, Peking comes to mind) served in a Thai restaurant in (of all places), Thailand.

And this is a Thailand based forum. 

Good luck finding Bamboo Worms in Paris, London, or New York.

Do People Really Eat Cheese Made with Maggots?

In parts of Spain, Italy, and France, some cheeses are intentionally allowed to foster maggots and are then eaten, larvae and all, says Norbert Wabnig, owner of the Cheese Store of Beverly Hills. “They can’t sell them, per se,” he says. “It would be more something the farmers would do.”

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/54714/do-people-really-eat-cheese-made-with-maggots/

The normal human reaction of any ‘mature’ business owner would be utter horror and embarrassment. 

The reaction of an entitled facing saving moron is what we see here.....  This sense of entitlement is further enabled by the moronic defamation laws. 

I had this discussion at dinner recently with two Thai gents (one a business owner, large company, the other a Senior VP Thailand of a major car brand)...   It took some explanation to explain why the defamation laws are a hinderance to businesses, I’m not sure they were convinced, indoctrinated into a system of entitlement. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tandor said:

...why single out Thailand...happens everywhere there is food...all about food hygiene and handling.

Because the article is about Thailand not somewhere else. Thats why.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nsp64 said:
23 hours ago, tandor said:

Because the article is about Thailand not somewhere else. Thats why.

Indeed..... Perhaps tandor thinks he was reading ‘Euraseanow, or Indiannow, or even Americannow’ forums  !!!! ????

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed..... Perhaps tandor thinks he was reading ‘Euraseanow, or Indiannow, or even Americannow’ forums  !!!! ????

food is food the world over and has to be treated correctly.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Gosh, possibly because the news item is about a maggot infested Thai duck (probably with Chinese ancestry, Peking comes to mind) served in a Thai restaurant in (of all places), Thailand.

And this is a Thailand based forum. 

Good luck finding Bamboo Worms in Paris, London, or New York.

food is food the world over and has to be treated correctly.

• Confused 1