Things must be worse than we think...

Guderian

On 1/12/2022 at 3:09 PM, ivor bigun said:

a doctor in a leading hospital in England said today that every patient in icu with covid was unvacinated ,its in the daily mail online .

I find that statistic hard to believe.  

Could it be, all ventilated ICU patients are unvaccinated?  

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 12:40 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree.

While I was busting my hump working, an unmarried mother friend of mine had a nice house, and a better car than me. She also didn't have to work, all at taxpayer's expense.

If I ruled the world the first thing I'd stop would be paying women to have children, and certainly nothing to allow women to keep babies at taxpayer expense. Plenty of people out there want to adopt. Only exception for widows.

As far as I am aware,  a single parent in Australia with two children and rental assistance receives $550 per week. A nurse grade 3 minimum award salary is $1,311 to $1,380 per week. Even a level 1 nurse minimum award is around $1,000 If you have children you are also entitled to family tax benefit A and B on top of your wage. It is not possible for her to be able to afford a better car and house than you unless your money is going elsewhere. I have a few friends that are nurses who all own houses and cars and live well, other the current covid strain although some are in the private system where covid is not so much of a burden.

https://awardviewer.fwo.gov.au/award/show/MA000034#P282_22297

Edited by Hugh Cow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hugh Cow said:

As far as I am aware,  a single parent in Australia with two children and rental assistance receives $550 per week. A nurse grade 3 minimum award salary is $1,311 to $1,380 per week. Even a level 1 nurse minimum award is around $1,000 If you have children you are also entitled to family tax benefit A and B on top of your wage. It is not possible for her to be able to afford a better car and house than you unless your money is going elsewhere. I have a few friends that are nurses who all own houses and cars and live well, other the current covid strain although some are in the private system where covid is not so much of a burden.

https://awardviewer.fwo.gov.au/award/show/MA000034#P282_22297

The time I refer to was in the 90s not now. I'm pretty sure wages have increased since then. i haven't been employed as a nurse for many years- retiring was wonderful and couldn't wait to leave nursing forever. Also I was in NZ in the time referred to, not Australia and Australia has always to my knowledge paid more, which is why NZ nurses want to go work there. Back when nurse training was in hospitals nurses had loyalty to their training hospital, but since training moved to university, many nurses are gone overseas soon as possible to higher wages and conditions. The NHS was far superior in both than an NZ hospital. I left as soon as possible and never worked in NZ again- don't pay a decent wage, don't get the workers- end of.

It is not possible for her to be able to afford a better car and house than you unless your money is going elsewhere.

end quote

Oh dear, you really shouldn't make personal comments about people you don't know- I was a student nurse. Older than most students, but paid the same- sod all. Still had to work my <deleted> off though; none of that "only there to observe" like for uni students. I left NZ to work overseas a couple of years after I graduated- sick of being an overworked, unappreciated, poorly paid chump.

If I was going to be a nurse, I was going to go work where they paid real money for my skill.

BTW, I could have done far better financially and had way more holidays working as a London Tube driver, and I'm certain they don't have to train for three years on a pittance to get the good money. Unfortunately, I was too old to be employed as such when I moved to London to work.

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The time I refer to was in the 90s not now. I'm pretty sure wages have increased since then. i haven't been employed as a nurse for many years- retiring was wonderful and couldn't wait to leave nursing forever. Also I was in NZ in the time referred to, not Australia and Australia has always to my knowledge paid more, which is why NZ nurses want to go work there. Back when nurse training was in hospitals nurses had loyalty to their training hospital, but since training moved to university, many nurses are gone overseas soon as possible to higher wages and conditions. The NHS was far superior in both than an NZ hospital. I left as soon as possible and never worked in NZ again- don't pay a decent wage, don't get the workers- end of.

It is not possible for her to be able to afford a better car and house than you unless your money is going elsewhere.

end quote

Oh dear, you really shouldn't make personal comments about people you don't know- I was a student nurse. Older than most students, but paid the same- sod all. Still had to work my <deleted> off though; none of that "only there to observe" like for uni students. I left NZ to work overseas a couple of years after I graduated- sick of being an overworked, unappreciated, poorly paid chump.

If I was going to be a nurse, I was going to go work where they paid real money for my skill.

BTW, I could have done far better financially and had way more holidays working as a London Tube driver, and I'm certain they don't have to train for three years on a pittance to get the good money. Unfortunately, I was too old to be employed as such when I moved to London to work.

I disagreed with your post. The comment was not personel. I was merely challenging you on the facts and I did preface it by saying in Australia. In your original post you did not preface your statement by saying you were a student nurse at the time, or that you were in NZ, or it was 1990.

I am not aware of any country that pays trainees particularly well which IMO makes it a false comparison. I am aware that wages and conditions are lower in NZ compared to Australia.

I worked for an Australian company taken over by a NZ company. After the takeover, they would advertise jobs in NZ for NZ workers as they would work for award rates rather than the higher market rate that they would have to pay for Australian staff, as award pay and conditions were and as far as I'm aware, still higher than NZ. You do appear rather sensitive as I was rather obviously challenging the voracity of the post rather than the poster.

Had you'd mentioned those missing facts that would have put the post in an entirely different context and I would not have commented at all.

5 hours ago, Hugh Cow said:

I disagreed with your post. The comment was not personel. I was merely challenging you on the facts and I did preface it by saying in Australia. In your original post you did not preface your statement by saying you were a student nurse at the time, or that you were in NZ, or it was 1990.

I am not aware of any country that pays trainees particularly well which IMO makes it a false comparison. I am aware that wages and conditions are lower in NZ compared to Australia.

I worked for an Australian company taken over by a NZ company. After the takeover, they would advertise jobs in NZ for NZ workers as they would work for award rates rather than the higher market rate that they would have to pay for Australian staff, as award pay and conditions were and as far as I'm aware, still higher than NZ. You do appear rather sensitive as I was rather obviously challenging the voracity of the post rather than the poster.

Had you'd mentioned those missing facts that would have put the post in an entirely different context and I would not have commented at all.

Of course you were being personal. "It is not possible for her to be able to afford a better car and house than you unless your money is going elsewhere." includes "you" as meaning I and then you imply something about MY money going elsewhere.

The comment was related to how an unmarried mother had a better life on the taxpayer than I did working hard. You are the one that took that and made it about wages, which is nothing to do with what I was writing about. I'm not required to give any of that extra information unless I was talking about wages.

Bye.