Senior naval officer dismissed from service for his alleged drunken misconduct

webfact

18 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I don't know about Thai Military but would think him looking his age he has at least 20 yrs in. In the US 20 yrs gets you a pension. 

Not sure a comparison to USA is valid.... get many drunk Generals berating people there other than Patton?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm sure he's a dick. He must have made some enemies elsewhere to be canned like this, not just because he caused a scene. 

About the money these guys make, I'm clueless. I do know US Military are well paid which is why guys join up these days.

If people are paid well, then why thank them for their service, is the money that is given to them then not enough ?

I looked on the internet and found that the soldiers of the US did not make as much money as i thought. But i could be wrong did not really check it out. But if they are paid well, why thank them for their service is their salary not a compensation for what they do.

I would understand if the pay was bad and they still went but if pay is good then that is your compensation.

Sorry im from a country where patriotism and military are not that important. 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Why if your acting like that its not the first time.

At the other event in Bangkok (also on video) he claims to have served as a "Royal Guard" for 18 years (and controlling all of the east ... bla bla).

>If< this claim is fake he could be prosecuted under 112 and been locked up for years.

Even it it's true there is room for interpretation by a judge (trying to take illegible advantage).

Edited by KhunBENQ

10 hours ago, webfact said:

drunken high-ranking naval officer,

When I read this, this famous sea shanty came to mind:-

What Do You Do with a Drunken Sailor? Unexpurgated Sea Chanties: Morgan,  Douglas: 9781626549883: Amazon.com: Books

Shave his belly with a rusty razor

Put him in a long boat till his sober

Stick him in a scupper with a hosepipe bottom (different!!)

Put him in the bed with the captains daughter

That’s what we do with a drunken sailor!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

If people are paid well, then why thank them for their service, is the money that is given to them then not enough ?

I looked on the internet and found that the soldiers of the US did not make as much money as i thought. But i could be wrong did not really check it out. But if they are paid well, why thank them for their service is their salary not a compensation for what they do.

I would understand if the pay was bad and they still went but if pay is good then that is your compensation.

Sorry im from a country where patriotism and military are not that important. 

What constitutes good pay is probably different from person to person, nationality to nationality. In Thailand 1000 USD a month would be a good salary, in my old profession that was a good day's wage. 

18 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

What constitutes good pay is probably different from person to person, nationality to nationality. In Thailand 1000 USD a month would be a good salary, in my old profession that was a good day's wage. 

But you skipped my point completely, if paid well why thank them ? What is so special ?

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

But you skipped my point completely, if paid well why thank them ? What is so special ?

Perhaps the guilt for those that came before?  Many of those that served in Viet Nam era without a choice received very bad treatment during and after there service by those opposed to government policy and in most cases bore little responsibility but often suffered greatly.  Since that time it has become a paid job rather than requiring all to serve so those now not having to serve are saying thanks.   Yes it can be made a political slogan if that is your point; but in general believe most are thankful.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

It's a paycheck with a pension at the end. You brought on the "Why thank them" rant not me. If this has to be explained to you, then it's a null point.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps the guilt for those that came before?  Many of those that served in Viet Nam era without a choice received very bad treatment during and after there service by those opposed to government policy and in most cases bore little responsibility but often suffered greatly.  Since that time it has become a paid job rather than requiring all to serve so those now not having to serve are saying thanks.   Yes it can be made a political slogan if that is your point; but in general believe most are thankful.

Its just something that is strange to me, I dont know the political implications.

Yes the guys who went to Vietnam had a rough time and many were drafted.

But like you said it became a paid job, so that is why i did not get it.

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's a paycheck with a pension at the end. You brought on the "Why thank them" rant not me. If this has to be explained to you, then it's a null point.

Actually you brought it up in your post, not something that i came up with. Maybe you edited it out. Not bringing it up, i was generally curious why people felt they should that people should be thanked for their service. You just mentioned it or referred to it so i asked. 

Im not American, as you know so some things in your country are strange in my eyes. We see the military as just an other job that gets money (extra if send out) and we see it as a choice (professional army not drafted). So that was why i thought it was strange. Sorry if that offends you.

That captain seems to have a serious anger management problem while drunk, people that gets angry when drunk should not be drinking, I personally drink to have fun with friends and letting off steam (not in an angry way but fun)

His superior and the fleet admiral have lost face and are now ball headed, poor guys but they will get over it and the hair will grow back, 555. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Actually you brought it up in your post, not something that i came up with. Maybe you edited it out. Not bringing it up, i was generally curious why people felt they should that people should be thanked for their service. You just mentioned it or referred to it so i asked. 

Im not American, as you know so some things in your country are strange in my eyes. We see the military as just an other job that gets money (extra if send out) and we see it as a choice (professional army not drafted). So that was why i thought it was strange. Sorry if that offends you.

My words were his pension is earned based on time served and rank achieved during his service to his country.  You took those words and came up with "Thank you for your service." Many say it just to sound correct. I don't know but I do know that joining the military is the furthest thing from a regular job regardless of the money. Putting yourself in harm's way as part of your job isn't a job description many are willing to sign up for. 

I'm sure there's plenty Seals, Army Rangers and SAS folks here who can explain and elaborate much more eloquently than I.

15 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

My words were his pension is earned based on time served and rank achieved during his service to his country.  You took those words and came up with "Thank you for your service." Many say it just to sound correct. I don't know but I do know that joining the military is the furthest thing from a regular job regardless of the money. Putting yourself in harm's way as part of your job isn't a job description many are willing to sign up for. 

I'm sure there's plenty Seals, Army Rangers and SAS folks here who can explain and elaborate much more eloquently than I.

Yea but they do sign up for it willingly, its probably a mindset i just don't understand. I would put myself in harms way for the right amount of money. I don't expect a thank you then (if the money is sufficient that is the thank you for me)

But for low pay then no way i would join the army. Basically I was lucky i was the first group not to be drafted in my country. The army was something i really did not waste my time with. Mind you our army and your army are two different things. 

Especially our army back in the day when there were conscripts were drinking drinking drinking and boredom. Losing a whole productive year. 

13 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Bullying subordinates in some fashion is all part of being an officer in the military. Anyone who served knows that to be the truth.

He should have left his bullying tactics on the base I agree. But his pension was earned based on time served and rank achieved during his service to his country. To take that away because he threw a hissy fit isn't right.

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wait...you mean "Dont you know who I am" did not work, shock, horror, and to think not even a suspension, demotion or inactive post.  He must have been naughty before...

He is already in an Inactive post probably because of similar behaviour, I doubt that he had ever seen 'Active Service', behaviour like that would attract a bullet in the back when on active service.

He probably  worked his way up to the naval rank of Captain (equivalent to the Army rank of Major) as a clerical officer via the exam system and the favour of other senior officers. He had probably been disciplined in different ways previously and this was the last straw.

Also I think that the reporters in their ignorance have added the term 'Real' to his title. It is probably 'Estate Manager' who is someone who manages the maintenance of the properties owned by an organisation sometimes called 'Facilities Manager' in other organisations.

Real Estate Managers are commercial sales managers in the private sector managing the sale of property and taking payment for their services from the buyer or/and the seller.

3 hours ago, RobU said:

He probably  worked his way up to the naval rank of Captain (equivalent to the Army rank of Major)

As lopburi3 said, and Wikipedia confirms, in Thailand (as in many countries) the naval rank of captain is the equivalent of the army rank of colonel, one step below flag rank.

Since we are Asean Now, I can relate what I heard when I first went to work in Malaysia last century was that their naval ranks used the same nomenclature as the army, so then a naval captain was the rank between lieutenant and major. This came to an end after a Malaysian naval captain went on an official mission to England and was greeted at on arrival, as was appropriate by military custom, by a British naval captain. Shock, horror! Red faces all around. Malaysia adopted the more "normal" naval ranking system thereafter.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

A bit harsh taking away his pension.

yup, I was thinking the same.

also strange is how quickly the sanction came.

I guess he already had a history of causing displeasure for his superiors.

14 hours ago, nglodnig said:

he's a NAVAL captain - so a higher rank:

What is a Navy captain equivalent to in the Army?

With the addition of the ranks of commander and lieutenant commander between lieutenant and captain, a Navy captain became equivalent in rank to an Army colonel.

yes, that's the short story.

colonel is correct when the navy captain is somewhat of a pencil-pusher, but the navy's most important ships are also commanded by captains, for example supercarriers, and in that case i'd estimate their rank to be more like a general, one or two stars.

n fact, this may have something to do with the "one star admiral" rank being discontinued (in appearance) in the navy;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_(United_States)#Disestablishment