Tested Positive for COVID entry stamp runs out tomorrow

I am afraid that somebody will go to him giving the appropriate instruction and, probably, will move him to Hospital or to a Quarantine Hotel.

Unless he is a Thai, I do not think he will be allowed to self isolating at home.

The permit of staying is the less of his problems ☹️

• Like 1

Maybe an agent could arrange an extension for him. Go and see an agent on his behalf. I don't think the stay permit is a negligible issue. If it can be taken care of, that's something less he'll have to worry about.

• Like 2

If he tested positive via PCR then it will most likely be reported and they'll come looking for him to take him to a hospitel, hospital or field hospital. The agent suggestion is good in the meantime so at least he won't be on overstay. Hopefully flight can be rescheduled and all that.

• Like 1

Make enquiry with agent to pic up and drop off passport and obtain covid extension. The issue would also be the small overstay fine. 

It's worth a shot.

Some will suggest to remain isolated until such a time as tests negative. 

By then he would have couple weeks overstay. That can be paid at airport upon exit.

Yes he can go to hospital and obtain a medical extension. 

Messy..

• Like 1

Not sure how this works in Phuket but in Chaeng Watthana (years ago, admittedly) had an office next to 90 days reporting counter with doctor who would check doctor certificates and then approve extensions due to medical reasons... admittedly that was before COVID and all, but I would guess there would still be an option to get a medical extension if you're not allowed to board the plane due to being COVID positive. Maybe you could ask immigration for your friend and get the documents to them to do an extension.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

I have a friend who needed a test to get a flight back to the UK last week. He did his test at a Bangkok hospital and received a email saying he was positive and do not leave his room. He repeatedly emailed the hospital and phoned asking what to do, no emails were answered but was told on the phone to order a test kit and do the test after 7 days. No body has contacted him making him do any tests or taking him to a hospital.

I think your friend should stay put and self isolate, if he has to pay a overstay its not the end of the world.

Yes. That’s what I was advising, nobody is hunting people down anymore. Hospitals don’t even seem to be passing on results to the “government” Now, well not if they aren’t part of a quarantine program 

4 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Not sure how this works in Phuket but in Chaeng Watthana (years ago, admittedly) had an office next to 90 days reporting counter with doctor who would check doctor certificates and then approve extensions due to medical reasons... admittedly that was before COVID and all, but I would guess there would still be an option to get a medical extension if you're not allowed to board the plane due to being COVID positive. Maybe you could ask immigration for your friend and get the documents to them to do an extension.

Yes, good advice tanks. I’ll pass that on. It seems a sensible option at this stage 

10 minutes ago, generealty said:

I thought I read last week that from last Friday you do not need to take a PCR test to return to the UK. Someone tell me-was I dreaming ?

I think you will find that is the case now, but the OP doesnt mention returning to UK.

Individual airlines may still have a requirement to board the plane

I would notify a hospital. They will send an ambulance. If hes here it means he has insurance for covid too. So no problem. 

second i would notify immigration. If i dont remember wrong, hospital can arrange some documents for your friend for immigration. In medical situations immigration gives extra time (happened to 1 of my friends) 

3 hours ago, problemfarang said:

I would notify a hospital. They will send an ambulance. If hes here it means he has insurance for covid too. So no problem. 

second i would notify immigration. If i dont remember wrong, hospital can arrange some documents for your friend for immigration. In medical situations immigration gives extra time (happened to 1 of my friends) 

Hospital can indeed arrange extension for him. but the problem is that he may not want to be hospitalized if his illness is very mild.

11 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Yes, called the COVID hotline, they just told him to stay home as no symptoms.

He might still be able to get a letter from the hospital stating he is unable to travel due to being COVID+ -- where was the test done?

Otherwise his recourse is just to overstay (until he tests negative) and pay fine on the way out.

The fine is 500 baht a day of overstay. There is no ban on re-entering Thailand for overstays of less than   90 days duration.

However, should he for any reason be apprehended by police while on overstay, consequences can be bad (imprisonment). So if he opts for this route, he should keep a very low profile and then go direct to the airport as soon as he has a negative test result. Once at the airport it is smooth sailing, he pays the fine at immigration counter on the way out.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

He might still be able to get a letter from the hospital stating he is unable to travel due to being COVID+ -- where was the test done?

Otherwise his recourse is just to overstay (until he tests negative) and pay fine on the way out.

The fine is 500 baht a day of overstay. There is no ban on re-entering Thailand for overstays of less than   90 days duration.

However, should he for any reason be apprehended by police while on overstay, consequences can be bad (imprisonment). So if he opts for this route, he should keep a very low profile and then go direct to the airport as soon as he has a negative test result. Once at the airport it is smooth sailing, he pays the fine at immigration counter on the way out.

Thanks for the info. He’s keeping a bloody low profile as he’s isolating with the AC on and the windows drawn.

I can’t think of a lower profile 

Does he have a certificate from his test stating he is Positive for Covid-19 ???

Could it be possible for a Friend to take his passport to Immigration and apply for an extension on Medical grounds ??? 

Obviously he can’t travel, obviously he can’t go to immigration himself - Aren’t Immigration doing ‘Covid Extensions’ still ????

1 hour ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Yes, called the COVID hotline, they just told him to stay home as no symptoms.

OP,  your friend could overstay until negative test result as mentioned previously.

Personally I would use agent to obtain covid extension on his behalf. By the time they do it he would also have overstay that can be cleared at immigration.

Bit depends on how much longer he wishes to remain. 

If hopes to go asap he could stick with overstay plan.

I would use an agent for covid extension then can relax. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, federicoP said:

I am afraid that somebody will go to him giving the appropriate instruction and, probably, will move him to Hospital or to a Quarantine Hotel.

Unless he is a Thai, I do not think he will be allowed to self isolating at home.

The permit of staying is the less of his problems ☹️

He has no actual home! A hotel is his home!

8 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:
19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

How was it resolved ???

Help others in the same way others have tried to help you.......

He Called the COVID helpline and they sorted it out, as stated previously. 

The Covid-19 hotline told him to stay home.....  

How has that resolved his ‘over-stay’ issue with Immigration ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:
5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Covid-19 hotline told him to stay home.....  

How has that resolved his ‘over-stay’ issue with Immigration ?

Expand  

Oddly aggressive post Richard. Might want to watch that in the future.

Aggression??? Don’t be silly. 

Isolating at home has not resolved your friends potential overstay issue.....  Thus, do you know how he plans to overcome this ?

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Aggression??? Don’t be silly. 

Isolating at home has not resolved your friends potential overstay issue.....  Thus, do you know how he plans to overcome this ?

No I don’t. 

thanks, weirdo. You really helped a lot here 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1