ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

I’m curious, are you from the former colonies? Why do you drive a transam? I drove one once, it was horrible.

He's got a Celerio, and possibly a pick up, from reading his posts.

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

I’m curious, are you from the former colonies? Why do you drive a transam? I drove one once, it was horrible.

TransAm is also a racing series. So might have nothing to do with what car he drove.????

Edited by VocalNeal

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I see you still fail to understand the concept of stored energy.

Actually I think I'm okay with that concept, chief. Now how's about you address the topic at hand, namely that different types of battery chemistry react differently to external shocks, whether thermic, kinetic or whatever.

Or are you claiming that a battery is a battery is a battery?

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

He's got a Celerio, and possibly a pick up, from reading his posts.

...and he could have owned a Ferrari and might have a private aircraft. What difference does it make???? 

I suppose it matters if you judge others by how large their monthly finance payment is.

16 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I suppose it matters if you judge others by how large their monthly finance payment is.

That one went way over my head.  I tend to judge folks by their personality, intelligence, and how they treat others.  

I'll just leave it at that, without further comment.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

TransAm is also a racing series. So might have nothing to do with what car he drove.????

He did a topic on the Trans Am he used to own with many photos.  He used it for drag racing amongst other things and it evolved over time.

An interesting read for any petrolhead.

Edited by In the jungle

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That one went way over my head.  I tend to judge folks by their personality, intelligence, and how they treat others.  

I'll just leave it at that, without further comment.

sorry no sale. 

43 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Actually I think I'm okay with that concept, chief. Now how's about you address the topic at hand, namely that different types of battery chemistry react differently to external shocks, whether thermic, kinetic or whatever.

Or are you claiming that a battery is a battery is a battery?

I am claiming 60 KWh is a lot of energy, irrespective of which battery chemistry it is stored in.

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

He did a topic on the Trans Am he used to own with many photos.  He used it for drag racing amongst other things and it evolved over time.

An interesting read for any petrolhead.

It might have been a Pontiac Firebird I drove, it was gold with a huge eagle decal on the bonnet.  I do remember it drove like a POS.

I think one of the challenges with EV’s is making the tyres, suspension, brakes, weight distribution, steering etc. capable of handling their ever increasing performance.  Typically weighing over 2 tons, it must be challenging to make it stop as quick as it can accelerate.

A very fast car that won’t handle properly is unsafe.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I am English, I owned a Trans Am for 23 years in England, though it was nothing like factory after my tweaks.

There are dozens of Trans Am types, so your drive model is a bit vague, but if you are a bit girly, I can understand your comment...????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, transam said:

but if you are a bit girly, I can understand your comment...

Well, I don’t now, one member talks about butts and ins and you’re talking about being girly, I think you’re rude honky-tonk

cue  Benny Hill, music

Edited by JBChiangRai

18 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Sure, the people in that picture look Asian - but there's no way to know if they're Chinese or not.

However you don't think that's a picture of the actual MG design team in England do you?

Although it's also stated that:

According to the article below here are the names of some of the main team members, at least as of a couple of years ago.

MG Motors UK design team expands

Do you actually think any Brits have a free hand in design and materials, my guess is they are told what materials from China and the financial constraints they can fool around with...........????.........:whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Well, I don’t now, one member talks about butts and ins and you’re talking about being girly, I think you’re rude honky-tonk

cue  Benny Hill, music

Hey, don't cut up my post, that cut is totally out of context.....????

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 3:09 PM, JBChiangRai said:

He had a pop at me for fining people in the UK & giving them criminal records for cannabis use, I suspect he’s been on the wrong end of that himself, and maybe it’s why he trolls me. He may not even be anti-EV, just anti JBChiangRai or anti anti-cannabis people. Maybe you missed the dig when he called me m’lud.

Apologies for going off-topic.

Assumptions, and way off the mark as usual.

As regards to trolling, you replied to me initially, wrong again.

Anyway, sad you are so insecure you need to whip up support for your little fan club.....

Edited by sungod

47 minutes ago, sungod said:

Assumptions, and way off the mark as usual.

As regards to trolling, you replied to me initially, wrong again.

Anyway, sad you are so insecure you need to whip up support for your little fan club.....

Are you feeling better now you’ve got that off your chest? 

Bless!

I had to laugh when I watched this last night, I don't think a couple of you EV chaps should watch it, you will have a heart attack when the EV dash says battery problem, DANGER.....................????

The rest of you, it is not an anti-EV vid, the guy works on them for a living, watch till the end, I must admit I was scratching my head all the way through it....????

Edited by transam
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

So ... a nine year old car has a problem caused by its 12V battery, which is fixed by swapping it for a new one? And main power battery has a lease guarantee that when its storage capacity drops below 75%, it's a free upgrade to get it back to 90%+? Sounds terrible ...

I'll grant you 'Electric Failure DANGER' would get the pulse going, but then that's not really any different from my ICE flashing a warning light that's a little engine for a basically irrelevant catalytic converter issue.  

image.jpeg.65e419f048c34a6bb63411a6c32cac1f.jpeg

I bet your TransAm would have thrown up loads of warnings and codes etc ... if it had more electrics than ignition and a push button radio (or maybe an 8-track?).

I think you missed the funny side entirely...........????.......????

• Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...

Popped up to Hua Hin today

183.6 kms round trip

MG ZS EV (2022)

91.8 X 2 (round trip) = 183.6 kms

Our cost, using excess Solar -0-

PEA @ ฿4.25 kWh = <฿0.61 per km

EV cost 183.6 kms = ฿112

MG ZS ICE (2020) 14kms/L

PTT 91 @ ฿39.54/L = ฿2.82 per km

ICEV cost 183.6 kms = ฿518

Long boring version

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Past couple days, noticed my range per full charge.  The other day, no surprise, and our usually 360 kms per full charge.  Beating the WLTP range rating of 320.  Which we get on the highway, using cruise control @ 90kph, when possible.

Today a surprise, unexpected, and surpassed the NEDC rating of 403 kms.  Short trip to the surf, and rare, but happens, 409 kms.  Would be nice if consistent, but no, that's not going to happen in the real world.

long winded post of same

But 360 kms per charge, we get that consistently around town, driving quite normal, 30-60-90 kph.

On that, and calculated savings, repeat from another thread for those interested.  We own/owned both MG ZSs.

Comparing MG ZS EV vs ICEV version

EV - ฿208 per 360 kms (฿4.5/kWh (46.3kWh)

ICEV - ฿1015 per 360 kms (฿39.5/L (14kpL)

EV - 20k kms @ ฿11,555

ICEV - 20k  kms @ ฿56,388

Battery warranty for 8 yrs

ICEV petrol cost for 8 yrs = ฿450k

... nuff said

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 2

So, why should Evangelical, Bible-believing Christians support electric vehicles? Because EVs are better for Mother Earth. It would be exercising their stewardship and doing their Lord’s will.

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/07/20/why-evangelical-christians-should-be-supporting-evs/

I knew it. It is already a religion ????

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Haha 1