What’s behind the steep jump in pork prices?

webfact

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I had a friend a few years ago who had an independent pig farm and he was making a reasonable living from it. Then a few locals saw what he was doing and started pig farms for themselves using cheaper food, undercutting him with costs and producing cheaper but inferior pork. He held out as long as he could but eventually he cut his losses and quit pig farming.

You have just described the usual Thai business model.

TIT.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Killing and eating animals is disgusting.

It's actually in our human nature. Homo Sapiens is genetically designed to eat animal meat. And this includes killing animals, since the dawn of our species.

But I hear you. Since the industrial age, and especially the onset of large scale farms and global commerce, the slaughtering of animals for food (but not only) has accelerated to levels which are, as you say, disgusting. We should all be forced to see a documentary about slaughterhouses. On the contrary, most of us see meat and fish only as neatly wrapped packages on a shelf.

I like meat, but I try to think of the above and limit my consumption.

Recently, there have been nice changes such as veggie-based sausages and chops. Unfortunately, the taste is still not quite the same but especially they cost easily double per kilo than the meat-based ones. Let's hope things evolve.

Father-in-laws pigs started dying in October (probably swine fever) Government vet was not interested, no compensation, so he sold the rest and retired from Pig farming (at least for a while). He only used to keep about 4-6 plus piglets.

Bonus for me - my plaa Buk get all the waste food instead of the pigs, and they are growing faster!

It is possible to produce low cost pig feed (i have a friend who does) but he grows most of it himself so cuts out the feed middle man - also he carefully balances the nutrients. I mainly eat chicken and fish.

As also said, vegetable prices have gone up, wife runs a shop and now she just buys less as if not sold quickly just goes to compost bin.

Eat more meat alternatives? Most are just as or more expensive and do not taste as good..

• Like 1

Rising feed prices has made Thai pig farmers to reduce there stock .

Supply is down significantly hence higher prices .

Culling could well be next with a deadly swine flu detected which will further increase the market price of pork in Thailand .

As an aside, it's not just pork and it's not just Thailand, rising food prices are a global problem. A bit off topic, but I personally find it interesting, that some link rising inflation in general to the dollarisation of international trade and the Fed's monetary policies; as some wit said - when America sneezes, the world catches a cold. 

17 hours ago, billd766 said:

Then a few locals saw what he was doing and started pig farms for themselves using cheaper food, undercutting him with costs and producing cheaper but inferior pork.

I don't like CP as much as the next guy, but in my experience the grades of pork have been:

1) CP Fresh Mart

2) The big open fresh market in the center of town

3) The truck that drives by every morning going "moo ma laew, moo ma laew"

4) Locals selling near the farms

My poor farmer sister-in-law tries to help out once in awhile, with what little money she has, and occasionally gets us #4. Sometimes we get lucky, but usually, it gives everyone the runs.

• Like 1