Finance Ministry Considering EV Import Duty Rates Revision

snoop1130

421eebd1ca8cf9c2f4509dc5f0d18198_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Deputy Finance Minister Santi Prompat said the Ministry of Finance is considering revising import duty rates for electric vehicles (EV) to make electrified cars more affordable.

He said the ministry aims to enable Thai people to own an electric vehicle at a reasonable price as part of the country’s EV promotion policy and environmental policy.

Currently, Thailand’s EV import tax rates are based on where the EVs are from. Evs imported from China enter the country with a 0% tax rate under a bilateral agreement between Thailand and China.

Most EVs from Japan are subject to an 80% rate as Japanese vehicles exceed the level required to qualify for the lower rate, while only some EVs from Japan are subject to a 20% tax rate under the Japan-Thailand Economic Partnership Agreement.

Meanwhile, EVs imported from South Korea are added with a 40% import tax, and EVs imported from Europe face an 80% import tax.

Deputy Minister Santi said the first phase of the government’s EV promotion policy is focusing on imported EVs and will be expanded to cover EVs made in the country.

He said the government is hearing opinions from related parties including consumers, producers, and others. After the EV promotion policy is concluded, the ministry will forward it to the cabinet.

Mr. Santi also revealed that previously, EV battery prices were as high as 200,000 baht, but they are down to between 70,000 and 80,000 baht. Meanwhile, countries like Germany, China, and Israel have set up EV battery plants in Thailand.

By 2022, car companies and consumers should be informed by the government about its EV promotion policy which is expected to be highly beneficial to all parties.

According to Minister of Finance, Arkhom Termpittayapaisith, the government plans to cooperate with car companies in Thailand to lower the prices of their EVs and produce them locally within three years for both domestic and export markets. This way automakers will be able to obtain combined tax incentives and price subsidy support.

Meanwhile, the price subsidy measure is due for this year to support consumers who want to purchase fully electric vehicles.

In addition, the government set a deadline of 10 years for Thailand’s auto sector to transition from fossil fuel-powered vehicles to EVs, starting from 2022. However, Thailand now has some 40 million registered vehicles that use combustion engines.

nnt.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok so in Thailand going to be more Chinese ev's than in China! Nobody really don't understand this Thailand's tax policy! They just want people suffer whit sht product's! Or they just don't want that people can decide themself what they want buy and use!

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thai Authorities have announced on numerous occasions how they want less traffic pollution and how they wish to go ‘elective’.....

They have never backed up their comments with electric vehicles which could be sold for a fair price. 

When a Tesla Model 3 sells for $40,000 in the US (less than 1.4 million Baht) why does the same vehicle in Thailand cost double that ?

IF Thailand is really serious about getting Electric vehicles out on the roads, it will zero the tax on them all. 

Telsa for Asian market is produced in China so there's no import tax into Thailand as per article.

13 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Ok so in Thailand going to be more Chinese ev's than in China! Nobody really don't understand this Thailand's tax policy! They just want people suffer whit sht product's! Or they just don't want that people can decide themself what they want buy and use!

More EV's in Thailand than in China?

No.

For 2021 Telsa delivered about 320,000 EV's in China, about equal to BYD's Chinese deliveries. And both trending to larger future deliveries in China. Not comparable ever to future deliveries to Thailand e8ng greater simply on a population basis. Additionally, the Chinese government has virtually mandated a national shift from ICE vehicles to EV vehicles. 

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Evs imported from China enter the country with a 0% tax rate

Most EVs from Japan are subject to an 80% rate

Meanwhile, EVs imported from South Korea are added with a 40% import tax, and EVs imported from Europe face an 80% import tax.

Import tax or extortion... hard to tell.

Unless your buying favoured Chinese models.

I find it bizarre that the Finance Ministry has somehow decided that it's the lead agency on an issue of energy/transport policy - in most countries, the legislature or executive would determine the country's goal, figure out how taxes impacted that goal, and then simply tell Finance how much duty to collect. But TiT.

14 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

When all the Electricity in Thailand is made from Coal and Gas how will having Elcetric Cars help the environment ?

It may or may not help the environment as a whole, but it definitely helps with the street-level pollution that causes so many detrimental health effects among people - and they can, in theory, clean up emissions at a few large generating plants more easily than in millions of individual vehicles. But you're certainly correct that producing cleaner electricity should be part of this discussion.

• Like 2

The simple reason why the Thai Government is dragging their feet on this one is that a lot of influential people have substantial investments in Car companies here. Nothing beats driving a TESLA compared to GWM Haval or the so called Orca Cat. Fossil fuel sucks, and until the Goverment accept the fact that fossil fuel are the main causes of air pollution here, it might be too late.

• Sad 1

Durians for EV’s. 
Sharp as a tack those boys at the top

Currently, Thailand’s EV import tax rates are based on where the EVs are from. Evs imported from China enter the country with a 0% tax rate under a bilateral agreement between Thailand and China.

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Do try to keep up  - the world has changed while you were sleeping

spacer.png

You do realize EV need fossil fuel to charge. Using a domestic rooftop solar system, it will take about 2 weeks to make one full charge for a Tesla. So whats the point? Then a life span of 10 years? There are people in the US that have broken down EV's sitting in the garage because it cost more to make repairs than what it holds value. 

Next.....

14 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

You do realize that you don't need fossil fuel to charge an EV - I have only ever used my home solar 

So now you proved that you know nothing about solar!

My solar system has an output of 15kW.

There are other EVs in the world not just Tesla!

My car has replaceable individual battery modules

Battery Replacement by Module.jpg

How would you get from bangkok to Mukdahan with and EV would take you a week?. I can make it in 10 hrs nonstop. ok  if you driving 2 min to the 7-11. But rather a motor bike for that. Also solar panels and batteries are also unsustainable because they only last 10 years and then cannot be recycled. 

43 minutes ago, Pabs said:

How would you get from bangkok to Mukdahan with and EV would take you a week?. I can make it in 10 hrs nonstop. ok  if you driving 2 min to the 7-11. But rather a motor bike for that. Also solar panels and batteries are also unsustainable because they only last 10 years and then cannot be recycled. 

You don't know anything about EVs or Solar  - everything you have said so far has proved you don't know what you are talking about. 

You don't have an EV or Solar yet you think you are an expert! All you are doing is humiliating yourself with your ignorance.

Piece of advice  - when in a hole stop digging 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Do try to keep up  - the world has changed while you were sleeping

spacer.png

Just plugging in for overnight to his own wall socket is still a long way from reality to a tenant on the 16th floor of a Bangkok condo...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tingtong said:

to a tenant on the 16th floor of a Bangkok condo...

You do realize there are parking garages? Where charging stations will be installed.

Or are you assuming the condo owner parks their car inside their condo?

Ok, now that that's settled, where can I get a buggy whip?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

You don't know anything about EVs or Solar  - everything you have said so far has proved you don't know what you are talking about. 

You don't have an EV or Solar yet you think you are an expert! All you are doing is humiliating yourself with your ignorance.

Piece of advice  - when in a hole stop digging 

I have a solar system on my roof top so yes I know all about it. To fully charge an EV with a standard roof top system which is 6kw it will take 2 weeks. If you want a fast charge in about 2 hrs by solar it will take 200 250watt panels 

2 hours ago, Pabs said:

I have a solar system on my roof top so yes I know all about it. To fully charge an EV with a standard roof top system which is 6kw it will take 2 weeks. If you want a fast charge in about 2 hrs by solar it will take 200 250watt panels 

You have solar ????

What inverter do you have? post a pic  - I am keen to see your 6kW inverter

An EV 2 hour fast charge would require a DC charger - they are not fitted to homes! ????

"250watt panels" - who in Thailand has 250 Watt panels? -  Maybe they are 10 year old second-hand ones you bought 

But as you said "solar panels and batteries only last 10 years and then cannot be recycled"  ????

"To fully charge an EV with a standard roof top system which is 6kw it will take 2 weeks" - not good at sums at school were we? ????

A standard 7kW home wall box would fill a Tesla Model S 60 in 8 hours.  Your 6kW inverter would take 10 hours  - so your guess of 2 weeks was .......wrong! ????

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

You do realize there are parking garages? Where charging stations will be installed.

Or are you assuming the condo owner parks their car inside their condo?

Ok, now that that's settled, where can I get a buggy whip?

Do you realize that many condo comes short of 1 car per apartment?

Do you realize that if most electric cars, then the parking lots need to be equipped all with an individual charger?

Do you realize that most buildings current electric  capacity need to be changed to be able to supply increased demand?

Can whip yourself as much as your heart desire, overnight changes won't happen like that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

You have solar ????

What inverter do you have? post a pic  - I am keen to see your 6kW inverter

An EV 2 hour fast charge would require a DC charger - they are not fitted to homes! ????

"250watt panels" - who in Thailand has 250 Watt panels? -  Maybe they are 10 year old second-hand ones you bought 

But as you said "solar panels and batteries only last 10 years and then cannot be recycled"  ????

"To fully charge an EV with a standard roof top system which is 6kw it will take 2 weeks" - not good at sums at school were we? ????

A standard 7kW home wall box would fill a Tesla Model S 60 in 8 hours.  Your 6kW inverter would take 10 hours  - so your guess of 2 weeks was .......wrong! ????

You dont get 8hrs of full sun per day its 2 hours only this is why it takes 2 weeks.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pabs said:

You dont get 8hrs of full sun per day its 2 hours only this is why it takes 2 weeks.

Ive done all the mathematics this is why I wont go down the path of getting an EV they are unreliable and unrealistic. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, tingtong said:

Just plugging in for overnight to his own wall socket is still a long way from reality to a tenant on the 16th floor of a Bangkok condo...

You have to carry a 300 KG battery up 16 flights of stairs and charge it in your room, and bring it back down in the morning!

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2022 at 1:37 PM, Bandersnatch said:

As previously stated  - not too good at sums are we, to which we can add not too good at geography either. 

Still waiting to see a picture of your 6kW inverter ????

Here is a production report from one of my inverters: 

Solar Production 2.jpg

Nice graph but it dont back up your argument. To fully charge an EV it will take 10 plus days and thats on the charge every day without driving it. And you wont have enough power left for the rest of your house. So you will be living in the dark at night. Charging an EV for a couple of hours wont get you far, ok for a quick trip to the Kwik e mart and thats about it. .  EV's are unsustainable and not realistic so tax away tax tax tax.....   https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=104605515456506&id=100077211727232&__tn__=KH-R