Cash refused

mikebell

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

My question is; every bank note has the King's head on it; can this legal tender be refused?

I was in the UK a few months back and a multitude of entities were refusing to accept cash, airlines have been doing it for years.

It is a controversial issue, my understanding is you have the right to settle a debt in cash but a seller has the right to sell and the debt is yet to be established.

In simple terms it all depends on if you have already obtained the goods or services.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Seems to be the way things are going. 

Cashless is simply a lot lot easier....

But the ‘Tap & Go’ doesn’t work properly in Thailand, that would make it even simpler. 

That said, a business ‘refusing’ cash seems a little silly, but as does being stubborn and refusing to use a bank card for a simple transaction. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Many shops will charge 2.5 percent for using a bank card in Chiang Mai area . Forcing you to head off to a ATM conveniently  located at the entrance to the shop .

Appears to me that the shop owners just want cash for tax avoidance as proper receipts for the payment needs to be asked for and often reluctant to supply .

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well we just had a major Thai bank high interest account scam.... plus a spate of multiple small deductions from accounts via Debit Cards.... watch this space!

An individual's scam ,not from the bank....as i never got a proposition for a 3.5% a month interest????...????

And those multiple small deductions via debit cards happened with other banks too....????

BTW any updates from Police in the case   as we are already 12 January ...?

• Like 2