Cash refused

mikebell

On 1/12/2022 at 3:48 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Seems to be the way things are going.  Here in Bangkok, most Starbucks and Subways are now "cashless".

I think I'd go into one and order a very large and expensive something then offer money.

Otherwise I wouldn't use them- I can live quite nicely without either.

Here, during first lockdown the local takeaways didn't take cash, but but must have realised losing too much money, so next time they took cash.

On 1/12/2022 at 9:48 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Seems to be the way things are going.  Here in Bangkok, most Starbucks and Subways are now "cashless".

Sheeples follow the things... not me !

better not spend any money anywhere than follow and accept they ridiculous things.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thierryviteau said:

better not spend any money anywhere than follow and accept they ridiculous things.

Why call people who do things differently names.....some might think you a Luddite. ????

Embrace progress!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, thierryviteau said:

Do whatever you want, i bet if it was up to you there was still a barter system. Some people are just stuck in the past. Its understandable some older people can't cope with progress. 

I won't put you down for not using it that is your choice but to call people sheeple, that is a bit stupid. I love electronic banking made life a lot easier. If its not for you so be it but for many of us there are advantages to this.

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2022 at 1:41 PM, phetphet said:

Governments, banks and businesses love cashless. More control, more secure, less outlay, less staff, less tax evasion.

Easier to rip you off too.

Last time I was in the UK we needed to take a bus to our hotel from the airport.

Discovered cash not acceptable. Had to buy 2 travel cards for 14 pounds yet the fare for both of us was only 3 pounds. Rest just wasted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

Easier to rip you off too.

Last time I was in the UK we needed to take a bus to our hotel from the airport.

Discovered cash not acceptable. Had to buy 2 travel cards for 14 pounds yet the fare for both of us was only 3 pounds. Rest just wasted.

Poor you, however for the bus drivers its a great thing not having to carry cash and thus being safe from robbery. Of course you can always see it as a big conspiracy against you to rip you off.

Sure you will catch some people off who are not used to the system almost never use it. But for most it works good and its safer and faster for the driver.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Of course you can always see it as a big conspiracy against you to rip you off.

Thank you. I will continue to do just that until they offer alternative travel cards at a more reasonable rate.

My other gripe is that at Heathrow airport there is the central bus station. Wouldn't it be a blindingly great idea that if you have to buy a travel card to use a bus then you should be able to buy that travel card at this central bus station. Not....as we found out , have to walk all the way back to the underground station to get the cards from a machine. Above these machines was a huge board detailing the many options for a travel card. There was a crowd of foreign tourists staring at this board trying to work out which card they needed. Naturally the cheap 7 pound option was not to be seen advertised. 

Finally the crowd got so big and was causing an obstruction so a member of staff had to come out and ask each individual where they wanted to go and get them their ticket.

If you are going to have a cashless travel card system .......keep it simple. You can't expect tourists from all over the globe to instantly comprehend such a complicated system

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Thank you. I will continue to do just that until they offer alternative travel cards at a more reasonable rate.

My other gripe is that at Heathrow airport there is the central bus station. Wouldn't it be a blindingly great idea that if you have to buy a travel card to use a bus then you should be able to buy that travel card at this central bus station. Not....as we found out , have to walk all the way back to the underground station to get the cards from a machine. Above these machines was a huge board detailing the many options for a travel card. There was a crowd of foreign tourists staring at this board trying to work out which card they needed. Naturally the cheap 7 pound option was not to be seen advertised. 

Finally the crowd got so big and was causing an obstruction so a member of staff had to come out and ask each individual where they wanted to go and get them their ticket.

If you are going to have a cashless travel card system .......keep it simple. You can't expect tourists from all over the globe to instantly comprehend such a complicated system

I agree, it can be chaotic at many tube stations with confused tourists trying to buy travel cards aka Oyster Cards in London. It winds me up when I am back there and in a hurry to get things done and just want to top up my card. 

The cards are also available at some newsagents, and can top up there also. I tend to keep a few GBP on mine for ease of use whenever I return to the UK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I tend to keep a few GBP on mine for ease of use whenever I return to the UK.

I seldom return to the UK these days and when I do I feel like Rip Van Winkle.  Last time back I noticed my friend and his wife had gone ' continental ' , not greeting me with a hand shake but a kiss on each cheek. 

" Sacre bleu , next time I'm back I guess it will be a wife swapping orgy !! '

They saw the funny side of my surprise.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Denim said:

seldom return to the UK these days and when I do I feel like Rip Van Winkle.  Last time back I noticed my friend and his wife had gone ' continental ' , not greeting me with a hand shake but a kiss on each cheek. 

I am hoping the pandemic has put paid to all that luvvie continental nonsense.... man hugs and stuff.... no wonder Covid ran riot. Once back in the UK I held people up on public transport as my Pound coins were no longer legal tender, I also had a few cash notes the same. Next time they won't be taking cash!!!

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2022 at 7:00 AM, jacko45k said:

Why call people who do things differently names.....some might think you a Luddite. ????

Embrace progress!

so how do you call people who just do what they are told to do without even thinking about the consequences ? Ridiculous ?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thierryviteau said:

so how do you call people who just do what they are told to do without even thinking about the consequences ? Ridiculous ?

servants, obedient, compliant, well behaved, grown-up, socially integrated, non-terrorist, productive, for more refer to Roget's.....

• Haha 2

On 1/24/2022 at 9:54 AM, thierryviteau said:

Is it because you do not consider the consequences of your actions that you assume people that disagree with you haven't considered the consequences of their actions? 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 1:39 PM, robblok said:

Poor you, however for the bus drivers its a great thing not having to carry cash and thus being safe from robbery. Of course you can always see it as a big conspiracy against you to rip you off.

Sure you will catch some people off who are not used to the system almost never use it. But for most it works good and its safer and faster for the driver.

You may be happy to waste 11 quid but some of us ain't.

Should be able to buy a ticket from a machine for the amount needed.

On 1/23/2022 at 3:31 PM, Denim said:

You can't expect tourists from all over the globe to instantly comprehend such a complicated system

LOL. British management in my experience don't rate highly in the caring demographic. IMO helps explain why Britain went from ruling a large part of the world to being a bad joke.

I lived in London for 10 years and IMO it was as badly run as it is possible to run a large city. It could have been a wonderful place instead of a dirty <deleted><deleted> with bad architecture ( not referring to the historic buildings ) had it had good leaders. That lack of good management IMO included such institutions as the transport system.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 3:31 PM, Denim said:

My other gripe is that at Heathrow airport there is the central bus station. Wouldn't it be a blindingly great idea that if you have to buy a travel card to use a bus then you should be able to buy that travel card at this central bus station. Not....as we found out , have to walk all the way back to the underground station to get the cards from a machine.

That would be sensible, therefore, IMO, not going to happen. I used to wonder if they went out of their way to make things more complicated. In the end I decided they just didn't care.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 3:19 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

For small businesses  cards and digital  payments  are brilliant, secure, and efficient.

with 3 or 4% off the top , yes very efficient but it does stop the fiddle, so maybe better for some small business.

but the revenue have a 100% paper trail, so really efficient for government

On 1/23/2022 at 11:20 AM, phetphet said:

I agree, it can be chaotic at many tube stations with confused tourists trying to buy travel cards aka Oyster Cards in London. It winds me up when I am back there and in a hurry to get things done and just want to top up my card. 

The cards are also available at some newsagents, and can top up there also. I tend to keep a few GBP on mine for ease of use whenever I return to the UK.

You can just tap any bank card on to these (as long as they are contactless) and you don't need a travel card at all.   I don't know anyone that uses an Oyster card anymore other than those that buy season tickets.   If you are against contactless bank cards and choose to use an Oyster as a preference then this is self imposed angst and completely avoidable.