Cash refused

mikebell

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

I was asked to provide a bank card.  Given the scandal about banking locally, I refused. 

Which scandal is that that would affect your paying for a service by card?

The hotel has lost 800 baht a week from me and my partners.  

Wow.  That'll have them worried.

My question is; every bank note has the King's head on it; can this legal tender be refused?

Of course it can, when using it to pay for a service.   Banks will never refuse it, though.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

I was in the UK a few months back and a multitude of entities were refusing to accept cash, airlines have been doing it for years.

It is a controversial issue, my understanding is you have the right to settle a debt in cash but a seller has the right to sell and the debt is yet to be established.

In simple terms it all depends on if you have already obtained the goods or services.

...and only if you're in the UK!

25 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Governments, banks and businesses love cashless. More control, more secure, less outlay, less staff, less tax evasion.

I went daft with the tap and go of my UK debit card when last over there.... too damned easy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What scandal about banking locally ?

Expand  

Well we just had a major Thai bank high interest account scam....plus a spate of multiple small deductions from accounts via Debit Cards....

That was an employee's scam, not a bank scam, at one Kasikorn branch out of hundreds in which there were no scams.

The small debits were not bank scams and every affected customer had their money refunded very quickly by the Thai banks involved.

• Thanks 1

legal tender just means that it can must be accepted as payment for debt, 

as for service or products not yet rendered or consumed, they have every rights to refuse your cash

if you had ordered something in a restaurant and eaten it all up, and only learned after the fact that they won't accept cash, that is now their problem as you had valid legal tender 

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That was an employee's scam, not a bank scam, at one Kasikorn branch out of hundreds in which there were no scams.

So the bank keeps saying.... so what is it 1 in a hundred branches scamming or less?

You need like Alipay or one of those.

The reason i think they are avoiding cash is the risk of covid infection from handling money.

The other reason is employees who steal the money. (i have short changed on average once or twice a week this trip, which usually never happens in Thailand.)

Edited by Don Chance
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Caldera said:

At least they still accept bank cards! I'm more concerned about places that only accept QR code payments. While that isn't a problem for me personally, a foreign tourist can usually neither open a Thai bank account nor a TrueMoney wallet, so how are they going to pay at such a place?

There are such places that only allow QR code payments?   Really?  Where?

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So the bank keeps saying.... so what is it 1 in a hundred branches scamming or less?

Sometimes people just put up their own brickwalls and through stubbornness make life more difficult for themselves. 

The Op may not enjoy the manner in which he no longer has choice in his payment method, however, the issue really is an insignificant one....   ‘cuttings ones nose off to spite their face’ seems to be the action taken by the Op.... 

Just make life easy and go with the flow when its something so simple....

-------

I don’t think I’ve paid cash for anything for the past couple of weeks possibly even a month... 

7-11 local DebitCard, Taxi’s (Grab - CC Payment), Food (Grab / LineMan - CC Payment), Supermarket CreditCard, Petrol CreditCard, Tollway Top up - online, transfer to friends if they pay the bill in a restaurant or to play football etc (QR Code / PromptPay)....   even getting my motorcycle cleaned at a local garage - used a QR payment.

Exception: I tipped the Staff in a hotel Cash / Also some staff in a restaurant Cash.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I would call it stupidity on the hotels part. For every 4 persons over 50 weeks is equal tp 160,000 thb.

The OP stated that the hotel has "lost B800 a week", that's B40,000 per year, not B160k, and only if he goes there every week of the year.  How will it ever survive without that annual £870/$1,195?!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

34 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

in some places....correct London buses have been no cash for years..

I was at my niece's graduation in China 3 years ago and that is effectively a cashless society. Everyone pays by QR code on a mobile phone, even the old ladies in the market.

One weekend we went up into the mountains for the weekend and our hotel was on the other side of the river from the town centre. There was a small ferry across for about 5 baht and the driver was gobsmacked when I put money in front of him.

Being cashless with that system makes life quite difficult for visitors, I had to give my niece the money and she paid through her account.

I purchased new tires for one of my cars a few weeks ago, went it to square up the bill and on the counter was a hand written invoice.

Handed then my credit card and they were visibly annoyed and asked for cash... nope I dont carry that much.

asked me to do online transfer... nope I dont do banking on my telephone.

begrudgingly they accepted the credit cards, and gave me a printed out invoice from their POS.

Am convinced they were doing the dodgy to the company but the credit card scuttled that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1