Cash refused

mikebell

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I was at my niece's graduation in China 3 years ago and that is effectively a cashless society. Everyone pays by QR code on a mobile phone, even the old ladies in the market.

One weekend we went up into the mountains for the weekend and our hotel was on the other side of the river from the town centre. There was a small ferry across for about 5 baht and the driver was gobsmacked when I put money in front of him.

Being cashless with that system makes life quite difficult for visitors, I had to give my niece the money and she paid through her account.

I was in China about 4 years ago and as you say everyone  was paying by phone app even for gum! My bank cards seemed old fashioned to them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Handed then my credit card and they were visibly annoyed and asked for cash... nope I dont carry that much.

Happens often The reason are the fees the shop is charged from the card companies.

3 Years ago, when Honda Pattaya called me to pick up my new car, I wanted to pay with creditcard. They refused because of the fee and asked for 1.5 million in cash

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Maybe they just want the old fogeys (not referring to the OP, obviously) off the table tennis table or out of the hotel?!   

I was thinking the same. First, aircon off, now payment is an issue. If you used a card they’d likely come up with something else to deter you. Covid-farang (xenophobic) issue you think?

36 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
52 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That was an employee's scam, not a bank scam, at one Kasikorn branch out of hundreds in which there were no scams.

So the bank keeps saying.... so what is it 1 in a hundred branches scamming or less?

1 in 887, so a 0.1% chance.

The bank wasn't doing the scamming, it was one now fired and jailed employee. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I purchased new tires for one of my cars a few weeks ago, went it to square up the bill and on the counter was a hand written invoice.

Handed then my credit card and they were visibly annoyed and asked for cash... nope I dont carry that much.

asked me to do online transfer... nope I dont do banking on my telephone.

begrudgingly they accepted the credit cards, and gave me a printed out invoice from their POS.

Am convinced they were doing the dodgy to the company but the credit card scuttled that.

A lot of companies do not like taking credit cards because the card companies charge 3% of the transaction fee. 

It is supposedly illegal to charge this 3% fee on to the customer - but of course this doesn’t stop some companies from doing so directly, while others will hide the 3% in their price and then not offer a discount for cash anyway !!!! 

In the UK Amazon.com will stop accepting VISA cards due to high processing charges. 

33 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

The other reason is employees who steal the money. (i have short changed on average once or twice a week

"i have short changed on average once or twice a week" [sic]

Where have you been short-changing people?   Should be ashamed of yourself, not posting about it!

• Confused 1

Japan is hopeless but Thailand is far behind actually in mobile payments in Asia. More than two years ago now but when in Shanghai on a layover it was hard to use cash. Delayed about 10 minutes at a supermarket.  All using QR codes from weChat or whatever.

Still have a bag of Yuan and coins maybe I will have a chance to use again this decade.

Edited by Captain Monday

18 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Happens often The reason are the fees the shop is charged from the card companies.

3 Years ago, when Honda Pattaya called me to pick up my new car, I wanted to pay with creditcard. They refused because of the fee and asked for 1.5 million in cash

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A lot of companies do not like taking credit cards because the card companies charge 3% of the transaction fee. 

It is supposedly illegal to charge this 3% fee on to the customer - but of course this doesn’t stop some companies from doing so directly, while others will hide the 3% in their price and then not offer a discount for cash anyway !!!! 

In the UK Amazon.com will stop accepting VISA cards due to high processing charges. 

Yep fully understand the reluctance because of card fee's but why did the hadwritten invoice change to a POS printed one when the payment method changed ?

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, daveAustin said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Maybe they just want the old fogeys (not referring to the OP, obviously) off the table tennis table or out of the hotel?!   

I was thinking the same. First, aircon off, now payment is an issue. If you used a card they’d likely come up with something else to deter you. Covid-farang (xenophobic) issue you think?

"Covid-farang (xenophobic) issue you think?"

No.  What's "xenophobic" about asking for a card payment?

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Yep fully understand the reluctance because of card fee's but why did the hadwritten invoice change to a POS printed one when the payment method changed ?

Ah... I now get your point.....      someone was pocketing the cash from those ‘tires that were never delivered’ !!!

There’s always an angle !!! - it seems even more so here.... 

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

It was no skin off your nose, either way, so what does it matter as long as you had a receipt?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

What does it matter as long as you had a receipt, it was no skin off your nose.

Yeah I dont care either way but found it very odd to have a handwritten receipt when cash was expected but when payment changed to card the handwritten receipt was changed to was a POS printed one.

56 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sometimes people just put up their own brickwalls and through stubbornness make life more difficult for themselves. 

The Op may not enjoy the manner in which he no longer has choice in his payment method, however, the issue really is an insignificant one....   ‘cuttings ones nose off to spite their face’ seems to be the action taken by the Op.... 

Just make life easy and go with the flow when its something so simple....

-------

I don’t think I’ve paid cash for anything for the past couple of weeks possibly even a month... 

7-11 local DebitCard, Taxi’s (Grab - CC Payment), Food (Grab / LineMan - CC Payment), Supermarket CreditCard, Petrol CreditCard, Tollway Top up - online, transfer to friends if they pay the bill in a restaurant or to play football etc (QR Code / PromptPay)....   even getting my motorcycle cleaned at a local garage - used a QR payment.

Exception: I tipped the Staff in a hotel Cash / Also some staff in a restaurant Cash.

Not something to brag about. LOL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What do you base that assertion on, got some evidence?  Do you find that shops where you pay cash refuse to issue receipts?

I said reluctant to give a receipt .

My evidence is the many years buying building materials here in Chiang Mai

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

I did not stay there for 15 years but have been using their excellent sports facilities 4 times a week @ 200 baht a pop = 800 lost.

So you had your moneys worth. what are they doing with the space now? After upkeep, maintenance,  electricity I wonder if your contribution  was not  worth it. Plus the time and presence of staff required to take money and open and close the premises and take care of a petty cash box. I find it incredible that not one of the OP's friend had a bank card or were notnprepared to cooperate  with the hotel staff.

• Haha 1